Champ sized amp with good cleans

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Feb 5, 2019.

1. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Love my Gries 5.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  2. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

peavey

3. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

Great find, I would buy one too if one came my way.
    But it should be mentioned that it's essentially an 18W Princeton Reverb. Those looking for the pushed output stage grind of older style SE Champs might want to look elsewhere.
    Meanwhile, the Princeton Reverb from the same era is essentially a Deluxe Reverb without tremolo...

4. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I think these are two great choices. Of the two i think maybe the Laney would be the slightly more versatile: good cleans and a second channel with as much overdrive as you'll ever need without having to use a pedal. I've owned a few Laney's and i can't say enough good things about them.

Jeru and asnarski like this.
  5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the suggestions. While choices are limited, the reason I'm looking at champ sized amps is due to the size of our house and the fact that I've already got the bigger gig amps covered. I'd like to leave the amp out all the time as my bigger amps are in closets or cabinets.

6. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

I know it's a bit bigger than a champ but a roland blues cube hot might be an option.

I also would look at supros and vox ac 10 as they are not far from your request.

7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

MuchXS champ

8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Is Muchxs still in business. I know he isn't active on this forum but I haven't see him on TGP either.

9. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I like this immensely. It’s just his standard Mosaic I with 8” speaker. He also has a II with 12” speaker and tone knob. These can run a 6L6/5881 for more power with the correct Rectifier tube.
    CC010426-7909-4A42-AA90-8348E819B3C1.jpeg

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Idk, have tried to contact MuchXS but no response. However few months ago scored his little champ with a 6x9 alnico off CL (pristine seafoam tolex for lowly$)...seller said he liked his little off the shelf Vox better (crazy)...I absolutely love it, imo lives up to the rumored hype and its not going anywhere.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Right down at the cheap end of the scale, and we're talking less than a halfway decent overdrive here, there's the Monoprice 5 Watt, a Laney Cub 8 in a white covering. Fine sounding, snarlsome take on a Champ. It's a Champ-a-like with solid state rectification and a tone control. They come with a Celestion 8" speaker, which is OK once it has some high volume hours on it. The Laney sounds really rather good, and in Youtube videos, the Monoprice sounds pretty much the same ( well, durr! )

Joyo manufacture a Champ-a-like called the JTA-05 Sweet Baby. Simple, basic and valve rectified ( if that matters to you ).

Moving up a little in size, and price, there's the VOX AC4C1-10, which may float your boat too.

Small amps are a lot of fun and can sound awesome.

Kriticaster likes this.
  12. mattpas

mattpas TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.