Champ 600 speaker replacement advice

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by brogh, Aug 17, 2016.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

haha Yup I know I Know :p

I have the SF in my crosshairs, but this one might oughta be good (and cheap) thing to get for a micro work rig, the guy has the ad on there like from forever, maybe I can get it even cheaper :)

See you around the forum !

cheers !

2. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I put an eminence 6 in mind after cutting a new baffle and finding old champ style grille cloth for it. It was the Gretsch tweed version. Low budget, but it made the amp much more usable. Sadly moved it on. . . .

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence has some cool small speakers. Not sure if they'll fit in the chassis, but they have some good PA speakers that would work great for guitar frequencies.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know about nowadays, but back in MY days, 6 by 9 were a standard car stereo size.

Is someone going to make me feel real old and tell me this is no longer the case?

robrob likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the grill cloth. Also, I put a Weber Sig 8 in there. Much better than stock or Jensen MOD 6's, but still...

IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3015.JPG

6. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My 2012 Miata has 5x7's in the doors and 6x9's are still heavily used.

JD0x0 likes this.
  7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Okay...

But isn't car audio vastly different than guitar amp speakers?

8. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a 6x9 Weber Alnico and it sounds as good or better than any 8" I've heard.

9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh how I wish they still sold them... Let me know if you ever want to sell! Hahahaha.

My favorite 6x9's are Conn branded Cleveland alnico's. Musical instrument speakers at their finest. I have one in my champ, from Muchxs himself.

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, but guitar amp speakers stemmed from generic hifi speaker drivers such as Jensen's, JBL's, or Utah's.

Plenty of old cars had one or two Utah 6x9's in the rear deck

11. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

I tried the Jenson Mod 6 which was OK, but I thought it was very similar to the stock speaker. I eventually put the Weber Alnico 6 in. Combined it with a Tung Sol 6V6 and 12 AX7. It sounds pretty good. It is my bedroom amp. Also, I replaced the grill cloth with a tweed style cover. I know they were trying to replicate the original Champion, but the grill cloth was a tone robber.

12. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Was that the Eminence 620H? Thinking of giving that a shot.

13. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Thinking about that 620h for my Champ 600. Can you comment on it if you have one? Interested in getting max volume with least breakup possible.

Thanks,

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't comment on the 620H but have used the 820H in a Bugera V5 and it made a world of difference both in clean headroom, overall volume, and tonality. The amp sounded far more balanced tonally and less boxy and being much more efficient I got great volume and clarity and lower gain settings. This allowed me to run a lower gain 5751 preamp tube which also helped clean the amp up significantly.

Since the 620H is basically just a smaller version of the 820H and both derive somewhat from the bigger 12" Cannabis Rex which is also a hemp cone speaker with great efficiency and low break up characteristics I would think the results from installing a 620H in your Champ would be similar. It's basically the amp the 820H and 620H were designed for which is why the 820H was nicknamed the "Chemp".

Hope this helps. :)

15. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info soulman969.

I think I'll give it a shot because I'm using the Champ as my main practice amp and find that running a delay through it really helps get rid of the boxiness, so I've been enjoying it.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you go 620h, def do the grill cloth mod, i.e. Something that doesn't sound like a layer of felt over the speaker mod.

17. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Yeah, that looks like it would make sense. Will maybe just make a new baffle then and preserve the original with cloth and speaker intact.

18. Montymakiki

Montymakiki TDPRI Member

Take from your experience.I was in the middle with the stay stock fender speaker or switch out to a Weber.This info made up my mind to stay original equipment fender.

19. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Funny you should bring up this old thread, but I did end up doing something quite unique with my old Champion 600, as outlined here:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/introducing-the-one-and-only-unofficial-fender-champtone-764.823203/

I did do quite a few speaker swaps, so don't jump to conclusions until you get to the end of the thread!

`

20. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I was EXTREMELY pleased getting the 6 inch Weber alnico. Had to do a new baffle to locate the speaker. I can't see the bother or worth of jamming an 8" speaker in such a small area if you could

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.