Champ 600 speaker replacement advice

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by brogh, Aug 17, 2016.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Hello Guys,

I'm expecting a call for getting in touch with a guy tht's selling a champion 600, it's all stock.

I've read some threads around here about mods belonging to this amp, my plans are no heavy mods at the time, I'll be repalcing the tubes with better ones I have liying around, and also replace the speaker and the grill cloth tissue.
    Most people agree on replacing the speaker, and get rid of the cloth thats used to cover it.

I went over to weber and jensen site to see what they offer in the 6 " field so far I'm looking at :

Weber alnico signature 6l
    jensen Pv6
    jensen C6V
    Jensen Mod 6-15

I know some guys managed to fit a 8" speaker creating a new baffle to accomodate that, I found a picture of a 8 " blue (looks like a 5f1 mod on this one ) but i've seen another one with a 6X9 speaker.

So the question(s) here is:

- Does the amp REALLY benefit form a 8" speaker or will the cabinet be too small for it not allowing it to breath right ?
    - i can't find 6X9 guitar speakers can anyone advice some ?

The placement of the 6v6 tube is the most problematic regarding the speaker change, I've read that some JJ 6v6 wont fit if you put in a replacement speaker for the tall tube the JJ, was any one able to manage to get the jj in ? and if yes with what modded speaker ?

Any advice on which speaker would be of great help guys.

What's this amp for ? practice mainly, some recording maybe (need to understand how noisy it is) mini apartment concerts with friends, fun :)

Tones i'm looking for is mostly clean, maybe some light grit, dirt will come from pedals if needed.

Thanks to all for the inputs

Cheerssss

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I replaced the original speaker in mine with a Weber. I'm not sure which model, although I chose the one that was ribbed for the cleanest breakup.

It did eliminate the flubby bottom end that the original had, otherwise it didn't significantly change the tone in any profound way.

The only thing that really made a difference (speaker-wise) was running my Champion 600 into my Mesa Boogie extension speaker cabinet (w/ Celestion C90 speaker) and it sounded great - but that also totally defeats the purpose of having a small practice amp in the first place.

Shoe-horning a larger 8" speaker into it might help but, given the extremely tiny cabinet it would be in, I seriously doubt it would benefit all that much from this so-called "upgrade".

In my opinion, unless you really enjoy experimenting, I would just leave it as it was meant to be; an affordable little practice amp. I know there are a lot of hobbyists that would disagree with me, but I really don't think it's worth putting a lot of money into this amp when your money is better spent on other musical gear.

In other words: Although I can't say I "regret" replacing the speaker, I can say I probably wouldn't do it again either...

Good Luck!

`

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
    brogh likes this.
  3. brogh

Hi ! thanks for the Tip,

Yeah as said I'll probably won't do any hard mods to it as the purpose is mainly practice, but the speakers comparision over you tube are getting me into looking for a repalcement speaker for it.

The 8" mod is probably something I'm not going for, I want to keep it original, the speaker swap is something "cheap" and reversible so I'd probably do that, getting a 6x= or so in would "maybe better", as you have more area on the cone, but I'm struggling to find them.

Thanks !

4. AxemanVR

I hear you and, like I said, the Weber did eliminate the low end flubby (farty) stuff, especially when pushing it hard (with an overdrive pedal for instance) so it may be worth for you in that case.

What I was mostly referring to were the people who sunk literally hundreds of dollars into their C600 amp replacing the speaker, transformer, adding NOS tubes and modifying the circuit.

To each his own I suppose, but that definitely wouldn't be worth it to me, although, something I would consider (assuming the right thing came along), is putting the C600 guts into a larger amplifier cabinet with a 10" or 12" speaker - but that would only happen if I found a dead amp at a yardsale for cheap...

`

5. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I've modded mine pretty heavily and put in a Weber Signature Ceramic speaker. I blew the original speaker, hence the need to replace it. I think new tubes and speaker cloth are essential upgrades. If the original speaker works fine, I'd keep it. Only so much a 6" speaker can do. If you are going to upgrade it, I'd find a way to do an 8". I plug mine into my Princeton Reverb Reissue's 10" and it sounds excellent and also thru a 2 x 12. I'm guessing a lot of that is due to the added size of the cabs.

6. brogh

Yeah, I do concurr that modding an amp can get out better performances out of it, but, personally; I wouldn't go with NOS tubes, OT swap, circuit mods and so on, there's people who mod them hardly, and make them better, but that's not me .. I don't think that investing 300 bucks in mods in a 100 bucks amp will transform it into a boutique amp, I'd rather invest the 300 bucks in a better amp or for a tube kit and build my own.

Adding a weber or jensens speaker will set me back 50 bucks or so, that's ok to me, Ii have some tubes liying around so they're already here, I just need to find a piece of grill cloth.

Btw, I can always connect it with my mesa cab if I feel I need "more", but this is not the purpose for which I'm buying it.

Thanks !!

7. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Holic

I've got the 6" weber sig in mine - also replaced the wet-blanket grill cloth. then did the circuit mod basically bypassing the baked-in tone stack.

it makes me happy.

brogh likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a lot of fun and let's face it, the Champion 600 is the perfect platform for messing around with mods and such.

It's just that, in my experience, the stock C600 circuit actually sounds really good, it just needs to be in a larger amp cabinet that is loaded with larger speaker...

Great! Now you got me looking for some yardsales!

`

brogh likes this.
  9. brogh

:p

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have two Champion 600's....one is stock and the other has the Jensen MOD which I bought from Tube Depot for $19.95.

No more flub. More bass. Tight bass. More volume and more clarity. I'm very happy with it and I think that I spent the right amount considering the amp. The Weber looks interesting. I've seen them online for about $55 and that's not crazy-expensive for the little 600.

brogh likes this.
  11. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Grill cloth swap?
    Cut up a shirt of your choice (plain, printed - anything at all) and a heavy duty stapler.

brogh likes this.
  12. brogh

actually using one of my old t-shirt is an idea :) thank you for that ! le'ts see if i find something interesting :p

13. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

The stock speaker isn't bad for playing clean once you start pushing though... I'm very tempted to grab one of the Jensen c6 for mine. These are great little practice amps.

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

15. brogh

Hi !!

uu hanks for the link ! i look into it.

Cheers !

16. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought one with a Weber Alnico Sig 6 in it. Sounds great, but I think that has a lot to do with the replaced grill cloth. No idea why they put that stuff in it in the first place.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

18. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm a fan of the hemp coned 620H linked above but a 6x9 is the schnizzle for a Champ 600. You will freak out when you hear it the first time. OK, maybe "freak out" is a slight exaggeration :D .

19. brogh

Hello Guys !

thanks for the additional inputs and suggestion, ehm ... I'll probably end up in getting it anyway, if the sellers gets back to me... in the meantime my gas drifted me juuuuuussstt a bit aside :)
    I'm looking into a SF Champ or Vibrochamp right now, but I'm meaning to get a "mini 2° rig" to practice at work I think the champion 600 will do just fine.

Thank You Guys !

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought a piece of vintage organ or radio cloth on eBay for $5.00. Best aspect of that little amp (you know how I feel about these amps, I believe):mad::(:confused:

brogh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.