1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Champ 600 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by cjburr, Jun 13, 2009.

1. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

Thanks Faraldi! I contact Fender earlier today and their response was "No, don't do it! You'll blow up the amp." He said it's only safe to run it into 4 ohms or less, despite the manual saying 4 ohm minimum. It's interesting how much confusion is out there over this!

2. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Holy #$%!!!

Funny thing is that there aren't many speakers available that are actually less than 4 ohms (unless you wire a bunch together or hook up some "kickers") :p

Again, you're fine with any impedance above 4 ohms. In fact, my Champion 600 is loaded with an 8" Vox speaker that is 8 ohms. Even though its not as efficient, the difference isn't drastic and it sounds fantastic.

Reason I did this is because I'm building a speaker cabinet with a 10" Eminence Ragin Cajun (which is also 8 ohms). So, wired in parallel, I will have a 4 ohm load (efficient for the amp) and will be running a 10" and 8" speaker.

(No this was not the original reason for building the cab. Just a cool second use)

Oh and let the tubes cool before messing with the output jack. They get freakin hot!

3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Hmmm........ I have a spare PF15R 8" speaker kicking around..........and some new oxblood grille cloth I've been meaning to install on either the existing baffle or a new one......actually enough to do two. How much do you think the 8ohm load reduced volume on the 600? And how about compared to stock 6"?

The "ChampStand" is a neat and elegantly simple idea, Joe. Hopefully lots of folks will want one.:) My 600 sits atop my SFSR - all small amps sound so much better (and bigger) when elevated off the floor.

4. FenderNic321

FenderNic321 Tele-Meister

ok, well this weekend I replaced the stock speaker with the Jensen Mod 6.....with just the speaker change the tone to me seems to be a bit "thicker"/"fatter", whereas to me the stock speaker tone seemed to come across "brighter". I do like the change so far, I should have my new Tung-Sol tubes today, so I'm going to replace the stock tubes tonight. We'll see how that goes.

so far so good.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  5. FenderNic321

Okay, I got the new Tung-Sol tubes last night.....removed the old tubes.....the mods came into play because everytime I turned the amp on there was a horrible "static" noise. After looking at the old tubes I discovered the 12ax7 was totally black inside and it was stamped with a date of 2007, which is kind of weird because I bought the amp new from MF maybe 4 months ago. So I guess they had it boxed up for 3 years.

Anyway, in go the new tubes, very easy to replace. So, it now has the Jensen Mod 6 speaker and the new tubes. All I can say is what a difference. With the mods the amp really has a nice warm / fat tone, all my guitars really sound nice thru it.

I think for a total of 60 bucks the mods were worth it. And it was easy to do.

6. Tres

Tres TDPRI Member

FenderNic321 - Glad the swap worked so well, it really is a night and day improvement I think. Something else I've been thinking about doing is putting the R7 and R19 resistors on toggles for different levels of distortion. I've heard of people disconnecting them or changing them for more distortion but I'm thinking if they were toggled then I could get the best of several worlds (as I don't like fx pedals). I usually play clean but occasionally would like more distortion just for the fun of it. If anyone has thoughts on this please share them, I'm definitely not an amp tech.

7. FenderNic321

I don't know anything about resistors or toggles, what I did was about all I can do when it comes to amps and mods.
    I typically plug a cable in to the amp and guitar and away i go. I played my 55 thinskin tele all night thru the champ and when those tubes warmed up the champ just came alive. The tone was so warm and creamy. I just might have to get another one - mod it and put them together.

keep us posted on your quest.

8. boilerup2004

boilerup2004 TDPRI Member

One correction and one question. First, the correction--my first post stated that my C600 came with a TS 12AX7; it was actually a Sovtek--I will replace this soon. The 6V6GT is now a Tung-Sol, and I completely shielded the amp cavity, but I still get quite a bit of hum...hopefully a new tube fixes this.

Now, for the question. I helped a friend fix an old jukebox, and in return, received an unloaded 4x12 closed back Crate cabinet. I'm looking at ordering a set of celestions from Avatar speakers, and want input as to whether I get:

G1230MG 8 ohm speakers for $100 shipped (30W power handling ea.)., or

Super 65 16 ohm speakers for $125 shipped (65W power handling ea.)

I'm thinking that the extra $25 is well worth being able to hit 4 ohms exactly, but thought that I'd check in here first. Or, if anyone has other ideas, I'll definitely consider them. I know that the champ poses no threat power-wise to these speakers, but who knows what else I may come across in the future...

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Tele-Meister

Just picked up another Champ 600 today for a good price. I traded my last one for a Vox AC4TV and regreted the trade almost immediatly. The champ 600 is totally stock, so I will be able to mod it out the way I had my old one. Something to look forward to.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Way to go! Congrats. Awesome little amp. I need to repair the volume pot on mine but once I do I'll be good to go.

11. Jaybird

Jaybird Tele-Meister

That was the first thing I did tonight. The volume pot that comes with it is so cheap. Mine spun in circles. I instaled a quality Alpha 1 meg pot.

12. Jaybird

Jaybird Tele-Meister

Did the mods I wanted,which was removing the tone stack using a .1 couplingcap from C1-J2, and switching out the cheapo Chinese tubes for a blackplate 6V6 and Rca 12AX7. I also replaced the speaker and changed the grillcover. Sounds sweet and looks better than before.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    richardwonka likes this.
  13. nick.mosh

nick.mosh TDPRI Member

Fender OEM Cloth for Champ 600

When I installed the Weber Alnico 6 I decided to exchange the original grill cloth for OEM Fender Oxblood cloth. You perfectionists out there will notice how nicely the cloth lines are aligned to the TV cutout -- better than even Fender does it! My arm is sore from patting myself on the back :D

[​IMG]

14. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

I dig this. Nice.

15. drjet

drjet NEW MEMBER!

Hi Spayne99,
    I have my champion 600 plugged to a 16 Ohm Isolation-Cab with Vintage 30 for recording, no probs at all. I was thinking about changing the output transformer for a Hammond SE, but I don´t think it is necessary. sounds great!
    Best wishes from Germany

16. mhainz

mhainz Tele-Meister

Getting mine tomorrow. Have never even played through one but just thought it'd be a cool little amp to have. Can't wait to try it out!

17. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Getting mine delivered today!
    I will be the proud owner of a super champ xd [rehearsal room] and champion 600 [apartment]
    Its a great time to be a guitar player!

Any of you guys have an extra peice of grill cloth laying around? Thats the one mod I plan on doing for sure as well as RCA 6v6's and 7025 tubes.
    My super champ xd sounds amazing with these tubes so the 600 will get em too.

18. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Changed the stock tubes in mine to a Electro harmonix 12AX7 and the power tube to a Sovtec 6V6gt .
    Also changed the speaker to a Jensen mod .

It sounds great , clear and much louder but i miss the sparkling break up of the stock speaker .
    I'll try to get one of those weber alnico sig 6" speakers .
    Hope i'll get there again .

19. Jaybird

Jaybird Tele-Meister

That's funny, I tried a Jensen Mod in mine and could not tell the difference. They were so much alike that I thought Jensen made the stock speakers. I guess everyones ears are different. I endeed up putting in a nice alnico 6" speaker that I founfd in an old record player I had. Sounds much better. I will add that I use my amp for harmonica, so I am looking for a different sound than a guitarist.

20. Solideogloria

Solideogloria TDPRI Member

I got my Champ 600 from GC used for $79 back in Feb! Cool deal since it already came with a Jensen MOD speaker. I just got the mod kit (components only) from DBM Audio (John Frondelli) and got it done in less than an hour. What a difference, I love the tweed style break up and tone. I know someone here did a 2x10 cab upgrade and what I wanted to know is if this would make the Champ gig worthy, being loud enough? I'm holding off on grill cloth change and the 8" speaker upgrade to see if having a 1x12" or 2x10" cab would make it loud enough for gigs.

Thanks guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.