1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Champ 600 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by cjburr, Jun 13, 2009.

1. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

2. mike77rios

mike77rios Tele-Meister

I would have gotten that amp but there where none available. electronically, its the same as the Champ 600.

3. mike77rios

mike77rios Tele-Meister

just finished playing my Hot rod Gretsch through a Danelectro Reeltape echo into my Modded hot rod Champion 600 (Jensen speaker, JJ's 12AX7, JJ's 6V6, R19 mod) and DAMN this little thing growls!!! No need for any type of over drive needed!!!

4. MagnusB

MagnusB TDPRI Member

Extension speaker

Hi! I have been a "member" for a while. I've done the following mods:
    - Oxblood speaker cloth
    - Jensen speaker
    - TAD tubes (6v6 and 12ax7)
    - Lifted R19 and R7 (with a switch for both)

I am very happy with the amp, but I have decided to add an extension cabinet in order to get even sweeter tones and higher volume when needed. I will install a beefier OT from musical power supplies and an on-on-on switch, which gives me the opportunity of selecting between 4/8/16 ohm load. The cabinet will be an open-backed dovetail jointed pine cabinet with matching tolex and styling. :)

I got a couple of questions for you guys:
    1. Should I use the 5K or 7K primary resistance for my new OT10 SE output transformer?
    2. Any tips for a GOOD 12" speaker to match the cabinet? Loud is good, but the most important thing is to get SWEET "tubeish" tones at clean/medium breakup. Think BB King or SRV's "Lenny". Sort of...

5. mike77rios

mike77rios Tele-Meister

ok, whats the R7 lift? might as well know now befor I install jack on R19.....

6. Juantelemera

Juantelemera Tele-Meister

Can someone explain the r7 and r19 mods please? Thanks.

7. Dumb everyday

Dumb everyday TDPRI Member

Hey need help, my 600 stopped producing sound so I figured all the tweaking was the reason. So I put a factory fresh board in and still have no sound. It powers up tubes light but nothing comes out. Any suggestions?

8. Amstrat

Amstrat TDPRI Member

Um Speaker leads on. I bought mine used but shipped with care. Neg lead was dangling....

9. Dumb everyday

Dumb everyday TDPRI Member

Yes..... And if you put your ear up to the speaker u can hear a faint static

10. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Hey guys, had myself a 600 for a few months now. Bought it for a bit of fun and to possibly help in recording and turned out to be the amp that gets the most used time.

I actually just posted a video up on the mighty Youtube of some sounds I got from it.

I plan to mod it with a Jeson speaker and new tubes and then do like a before and after video.

11. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Nice demo Freethenoise! I have been looking at 5 watt amps lately. The part you did with the Verbzilla gave me a good idea of how good the amp sounds with some reverb mixed in. I just use a touch of reverb, but you got the point across.

asnarski likes this.
  12. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Thank you very much.
    Yeah, my idea with using the reverb with this amp was to try and make a huge sound from it. That and Mayer does love to pour on the reverb.
    Thank you for your kind words!

13. Amstrat

Amstrat TDPRI Member

Want to sell my Champ 600 on kijiji in Toronto.

No chassis mods but jj's a weber alnico 6 and acoustically transparent grill cloth.

Few minor nicks.

$150?

Thanks L

ForumRunner_20130129_080742.jpg

ForumRunner_20130129_080742.jpg

Attached Files:

14. OHM MAN

OHM MAN TDPRI Member

Really like my champ 600 /stock. few questions. I've never changed a tube how hard is it to do on the champ 600? How? Also I'd love to get or make an ext cab for this little guy..can you recommend a inexpensive but decent cab(4ohms). I have two 4 ohm amps so a cab that could work for both of them would be great..!! Thank you. I saw someone on this thread built an awesome cab but that would be above my abilities...

15. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I am not sure about the tubes however with the cab what are you looking for? 4 ohm speakers are not all that common. Weber makes a nice inexpensive 4 ohm 8" speaker for like $25. If your willing to go 210 or 212 you can always get 2x 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel will give you 4 ohms. That would be the way I would go if I was going to do an extension cab.

16. mike77rios

mike77rios Tele-Meister

Bedroom rig, pedals are DOD stereo flanger and Danelectro Reel Echo

Attached Files:

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I always wanted to try one of those Reel Echos. I've left my C-600 totally stock as well. someday I would like to try an Ext cab for it, and my Excelsior , as well. I've had more expensive, very nice amps before, but anything more than two knobs these days just makes me yawn. I guess I am getting older and lazy.
    A 2-10" would be sweet!

18. mike77rios

mike77rios Tele-Meister

Tele, Ive run my Exy and 600 (with a old Sansui SP 2500) together, now thats an ear splitting combo!

19. Superrock

Superrock Tele-Meister

i am in! found mine for 5usd at a garage sale under a pile of rags a few years ago, she is a '52. :)[​IMG]

20. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sun of a beach!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.