1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Champ 12 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Obsessed, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Fender Class A 6L6ers unite! We are an equal opportunity organization that allows both Red Knob and Black Knob Fender Champ 12 owners.
    Mine is a MIM, serial #03460. Probably near the end of the run. Come on in and share your thoughts and experiences, mods and any information that you would like to share with fellow Club members. :D

Attached Files:

2. spacerock777

spacerock777 TDPRI Member

Hay great add me pleazzze! I am also in search of picking up a second one as a beater so I may be able to mess around on modding one sometime soon.

3. Obsessed

Welcome aboard! Ahh, you live close to some of my favorite surf spot while I was at SDSU back in the 70's. I've always thought about getting another to mod too. BTW, there is a thread in "Shock Brother's DIY Amps", regarding eliminating a hum in a Champ 12. The guy seems very capable and there are obviously some great amp experts out there helping him find the source of the hum. Very educational to me about the Champ 12 since mine has a hum too. There is also another person looking for a way to change his Champ 12 to a 6V6. Cool stuff to get me motivated to learn how to mod and/or build amps.

4. spacerock777

Yeah well me personally I like the hum it always did hum even with NOS glass in her. All my amps tube related accept my carvin all hum runs with the bread u know?

5. spacerock777

PS I used to live in West Side Santa Cruz never was into surf was more into hotrods and yachts when young if that matters at all? What ya think on Laney amps???

6. Obsessed

Yeah! I used to cruise over the hill with some fellow rodders to a shopping center outside of SC to a hot rod gathering back in the early 90s!!! We did it about once a month during the summer. Okay, anyway, I've always kept an eye out for a VC 30 just to give it a spin. Another great Class A 12 amp ... ummm ... at least that is what I've heard. I was a Black Sabbath fan back in the 70s and love that Laney tone. Tell me you've played one.

7. Rothmans962

Rothmans962 TDPRI Member

Ad me...This was my first taste of tube amps...I always kinda dug the RCA inputs for jamming/leaning songs...Doesn't see a lot of use these days as I'm thoughly diggin my Lil Dawg D-lux,but still fire it up now and then...
    [​IMG]

8. spacerock777

Obessed Yeah the Rod show was Hot August Nights and its in Wastsunville I think now ya I owned two AOR 50's a 6 knob MV and also an 8 knob Series 1.... The VC range is sweet sorta a poor mans hot rodded JMI VOX! Knew a few folks had em the AORs are like a cross between an old Hi Watt and a Marshall JCM 800 Metaltronixed to death.... basically even though I compared it to Marshall the 800 JCM has a higher bass curve and cannot match a Laney Laney Pro series amps have lots of low end thunder great for C# not so hot for putting infront a dirt box in Hi input due to the gain stock. My amp only needed a comp in clean to cover Tweed Bassman/ Hi Watt sounds but also they hate most fx unless they are 8dv ohm I think. These are supper muddy and have a 100 hv hum to them which I dig. BUt man they kill the new JVM 4 channel Marshall's due to actually having a 4 way cascading all tube gain. One of the other draw backs are they are half hand wired and part pcb board amps which tend to freak folks out. PS here's my all one owner Champ 12 I special ordered three months after they hit the Guitar Player adds love this think too! :D

Attached Files:

9. Obsessed

Welcome Rothmans962! Yeah, I like the RCA inputs too. Didn't those red tolex ones come with some sort of special speaker? I played one once and it sure sounded different. Wish I had bought it now.

10. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Another long time Champ 12 owner here. Bought mine from a friend for less than $100 in the early 90s. Needed some work.
    No way will these take a 6v6 without extensive mods. I put a 6l6gb in mine before I checked the tube specs and when I took it out it had melted the base a little. Way too high a voltage!
    Got a JJ 6l6gc in there now and a Weber Sig12s.

Since I hated the 80s style pull mid boost I replaced the 750pfd cap with a .047mfd cap. Thick and loud, pretty much bypasses the tone stack but with the bright cap on the volume turning it down brightens and tames it a bit.

Had some pots get damaged, replaced the gain with a 250k that tames the OD channel a bit. A 1 meg on the Bass is pointless, no change on my amp turning past 4. Add a Mid/Raw knob like an Allen amp and put the bright cap on a switch and I'll be done and happy.

Thanks for starting a club!

11. spacerock777

Nice mods dlaroe! I was actually thinking on getting a second Champ 12 that was battle scared so I might be able to mod it and a/b between them at gigs. So getting into mod ideas for these and like the low wattage weber 12s I heard great things about those speakers and all.

12. Obsessed

Welcome dlaroe. Do you think just changing the 250k alone would tame the OD Channel? Mine is completely stock and I use OD pedals to drive the clean channel. There are a few sweet spots on the OD channel, but only with certain pedals and guitars. It would be nice to make it more usable.

13. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

My Champ 12, which I owned for almost 20 yrs, had a wicked hum in a quiet room, and wasn't loud enough for any regular gig I tried it on. But, it did have a good thick "old time" gritty sound when cranked up enough to compete with drums & bass & keys on a gig.

14. Obsessed

Welcome to the group. Old time grit? Wow! And I'm just a few years older. I must be doing something wrong. What kind of music do you usually play?

15. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

The 250k Gain pot just makes it a little easier to dial in lower levels of dirt.

There are a couple of mods mentioned here. Mostly changing the character, not reducing the gain.

16. Obsessed

My long time buddy sent me an old, used, GE 6L6 tube that he found in a closet to me for Xmas (he is downsizing his enormous collection of amps and guitars) and since I've been on honeymoon with my first tele, I just put the tube in the other day and an amazing transformation happened with the Gain channel! I can run it up to 9 and totally control the volume to house levels. The Gain is wonderfully smooth. I didn't know that this was even possible with these. I'm a cheapskate, so I'm afraid to look to see how much they run, but I know I have to get another as a backup. More fun on my honeymoon!!!

17. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Which 6l6?

Make sure its a 6l6GC, I had a 6l6GA that worked for a while but had started to melt with the high plate voltage in the Champ 12.

If the power tube goes it can take the output transformer with it, which in these amps is a tiny little thing. Fender uses it as a reverb transformer in the VibroKing.

18. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Tele-Meister

I have a gray snake black knob, the guy I bought it from did the Torres mod for the dirt channel and it doesn't sound bad at all once you dial in the right guitar volume. He also had a weber Alnico 12s in it but I took it out and replaced it with the original speaker he had. I had an amp tech replace the electrical cord with a grounded one which helps with the hum.

I really think this amp has some if the best clean sounds I have heard from a low wattage amp. These things are great but the volume control and other controls have a very small rang Le I have noticed. Still a crazy awesome sounding amp and it sounds awesome with my tele. Though mine sits in the closet most the time and only bring it out twice a month or so... I don't think I will sell this bad boy anytime soon. Any time a friend comes over I let home use my main rig and jam on the champ 12.

19. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

May I join the club... but its not a fender, not a champ and predates the champ12; however it is a Class A se6L6, sounds great and is a daily player.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Obsessed

It is a 6L6 GC, but thanks dlaroe about the tip. Good to know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.