1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chambered body - what's the deal with that?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by habernack, Apr 30, 2010.

1. habernack

habernack TDPRI Member

I've seen bodies with large cavities and some with 'vents' - what kind of tonal quality does this add - would it have a tendency to feedback with hi-gain settings?

like to hear some opinions!

2. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

For me, it's more a matter of weight relief. I leave a solid center piece to mount the bridge and pups, so feedback isn't and issue unless you want it to be! I haven't done any bench testing, but the chambered bodies do seem to be a little more resonant than a solid body, and not as resonant as a fully hollow. Note that I said "seem to be". :)
    But, as I said, playing a 5 or 6 pound guitar for 3 hours is more comfortable than playing an 8 pr 9 pound guitar for 3 hours.

3. Hekim

Hekim Tele-Meister

BTW not all chambered bodies have F holes (vents) and some have one only 1 on the top side, others have an one on each side.

As Matthew said, the main purpose is for weight reduction.

4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

The last two guitars I built had chambered bodies. The only practical advantage I can see is the lighter weight, as for building the guitar it dose add another element to increase the fun factor. What I find interesting in the eighties the heavy guitar was the thought to be the sustain monster nothing better than a 20 pound Les Paul. The one thing I have leaned when in comes to guitar building theres more theories and over thought ideas than common sense, The bottom line for us hobby builders is to have fun and get a decent instrument. Well I can say in 40+ years of playing I’ve never bought a guitar with the weight being a factor

5. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

:lol:

6. habernack

habernack TDPRI Member

I know what F holes are, see the link below which the guitar is constructed with Tone Vents TM.

pretty cool - another take on a chamber i guess.

http://www.guilfordguitars.com/building_the_ty_tabor_model

7. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Tele-Meister

Honestly, I don't see those "tone vents" making much of a difference in the sound. They look like weight relief to me (with a little marketing spin tossed in there for good measure).

8. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

I have found chambered LPs to be more resonant than solid bodies both acoustically and when plugged in. Whether that transfers to Teles or not I don't know because I haven't compared them extensively.

I will admit, what I noticed could have been pickups, wood, or any of a thousand other things too.

9. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

That's exactly why I have trouble knowing what it is that I'm actually comparing. If I play exactly the same guitar with a Jim Dunlop Jazz III pick and then a Wegan Bluegrass pick it makes a significant and noticeable difference. If that can make such a difference then how can I really know if a chambered body is making the change, or if it's the pickups or the strings or whatever.

Tough call really.

10. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of G&L ASAT Classics, same kind of pickups made two years apart. One of them is semi-hollow the other is solid bodied. There is a definite difference in tone between the two. The solid body has a faster attack (the note seems to leap out quicker). Also, this is the only way I can describe it, but the sound of the semi-hollow seems to 'float' when used at gig volumes. To find out for yourself try and find a place with the two guitars with the same spec and AB them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.