1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chair or Stool in Music Room?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by sax4blues, Mar 4, 2021.

Chair or Stool in Music Room

1. Chair

61 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Stool

56 vote(s)
    52.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. peregrin8511

peregrin8511 TDPRI Member

...and the old VOX Amazon there on the wall, nice ;)

SparkleFart likes this.
  2. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

I use one of these:

upload_2021-3-9_21-5-46.jpeg

I use their EJ16 strings on my acoustics. But Ernie Ball regular slinky on my Telecaster.

3. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Wow, I had one of those 25 years ago and completely forgot about it. I did like it at the time. I think I used mine until the padding got thin and my knees started to hurt after too long.

I have both in my "studio". I put that in quotes because it currently is a joke in a tiny bedroom.

I have a 40-50 year old very heavy rolling office chair with no arms that is my seat when I mix and record guitars or bass. That chair is the ultimate proof that things are not made like they used to be, because I see very little deterioration since I got it 30ish years ago, and I have spent many thousands of hours sitting in it.

I also have a stool, but it's a drum stool behind a drum kit. I only sit in it when I am doing my Bonham impersonation.

However, I firmly agree that there are no stools at band practice. You fight like you train.

Alex_C likes this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I use a SoundSeat. Mine has the short gas cylinder, mid back, gliders rather than casters, no arms, foot ring, and foot rest.
    [​IMG]

It's about eighteen years old at this point and still looks brand new, including the leather. That's how well-built it is. Here's the deal: My genetic line doesn't include padding on the backside. Between that and some small back problems, the stools and chairs I used before I got the SoundSeat were always the limiter to the length of my playing sessions. Pain ended the session. Now I can spend hours playing without any discomfort because of that chair. Seeing how comfortable it is, my wife got one for her craft room.

J.R. Baker, the creator of the SoundSeat, became a really good friend to me over the years. We used to spend hours on the phone together. He custom-assembled each seat by hand after talking with each customer on the phone. His sudden death came as a shock to me. His wife, Breda, has picked up the business and is running it just as he did.

Bob

Gary135r, daves561 and Jake909 like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

1. Dang some of you guys have a lot of big iron
    2. I have a basic piano bench, nothing fancy.
    3. Usually I stand especially now that I'm playing a bender guitar and doing volume pedal swells. Better to practice how you perform anyhow.

6. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

I'm still in learning mode, but if you are not going to gig, what is the advantage of standing while playing besides comfort factors.

7. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

That chair just screams quality.

Bob Womack likes this.
  8. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Ewe.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Voted for both.. if there was a thing for drum throne as well I'd have added that too.

Basically all of the above.

First preference is standing
    Second is stool
    Third is the chair or drum throne.

I hurt my shoulder/neck snowboarding, usually I'm 95% standing, lately I've been trying to sit to get the guitar off the shoulder.

10. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Is this Theory or Technique???

11. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

An ancient, painted (splattered) pressed back chair. It's got Mojo!

Chair.JPG

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  12. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

armless chair with back support but best to practice standing up. I do both. Really is quite different between sitting and standing while practicing for awhile but I gotta support my back.

13. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a low armrest home theater type reclining chair that sits a little higher than a guitar stool, and is pretty well in the upright position backrest wise, for practice and recording/writing

14. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

I have a Steelcase Amia task chair. The arms slide out of the way, great back support and adjustable in every meaningful way. Some of the best money I ever spent.

15. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I found the brown low-back at goodwill store.I would like another if I could find one.Just fits me fine.Nice to raise my foot on the rest too P3110001.JPG .Taller one bought at a SUPERmarket. Need to be modified badly.

Gary135r and darkwaters like this.
  16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I use both a stool and a "Pick N Glider Musician's Chair" as well as stand up and play with a strap. It seems more comfortable and I can play longer if I switch between the 3 positions.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/lif...icians-chair/430990000092000?cntry=US&cur=USD

20210311_235003.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Gary135r likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On the road I like camp chairs with arms, for getting in and out, that fold up out of the way for playing guitar.

Recovering now from my second hip replacement surgery--it's going swimmingly, thanks--I'm looking forward to playing standing up again; it's been a long time. I can do it in short bursts now.

Oh yeah, the original question: straight-back wooden chair for me, no arms, with a nice pad if possible.

darkwaters likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've gone through a series of heights and styles but none are quite right, now that I'm in constant pain no matter what position I'm in.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You can play guitar in those armed folders?
    I'm thinking I need a new guitar shape for sitting, one that works with chairs & such.

P Thought likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really prefer standing. But we have some Browning brand folding canvas camp chairs that have solid arms which fold up out of the way, and a couple branded Cabela's that look to me like the same chair.

Pain sucks, don't it? I should have had these hips done years ago.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.