1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CGI has it just gone too far?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 31, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Practical effect will always look more realistic. The first two Star Wars films (Episodes IV and V) looked great for the most part; Return of the Jedi was the point where CGI started getting a little ridiculous. The effects in the subsequent films in the series aren't even close to believable, as they are so over the top. Liam Neeson spent so much time acting in front of green screens, having dialog with things that weren't even there... he indicated that he did not enjoy that too much.

RoyBGood likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

movies pretty much suck in general these days

Bassman8, Steerforth and Fretting out like this.
  3. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Part of it is cultural.

I haven't seen Mulan, but I believe it is based in an Asian country. The Chinese cinema, for example, has the tradition of stories like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...great warriors (sometimes women) who can take on many enemies. Legend has it that the Chinese martial art Wing Chun was created by a woman.

Japanese cinema had the Zatoichi movies...a BLIND swordsman who can defeat all others.

Before you say "those stories are ridiculous, they are not based in reality"... they are no more ridiculous than a man in a blue suit with a red cape wearing an "S" on his chest who is impervious to bullets.

I agree with the CGI comments...it still usually looks fake to me. As much as I loved Spiderman comic books as a kid in the 1960s and 70s, the movies cannot make it look real for me.

naneek and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Its OK to have fun .

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Underrated, forgotten film.
    Another Amarante gem:
    “No one would do anything if they knew what they were in for”. Sat me straight up and never forgot it. Tied with Will Munny’s “We all got it coming, kid”.

drmordo, naneek and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m with you T.D!

CGI generally ruins movies for me other than stuff that’s supposed to look cartoonish

CGI to movies is what auto tune is to music

Practical effects look much better even as good as some cgi is these days

I can’t stand watching a movie where the only real thing in it is the actor

7. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

My issue isn't with CGI... Done well, It can be incredible.

The problem is, the better the tech gets, the cheesier it becomes (IMO)
    When you think it should be easier and cheaper to do, it just keeps getting worse, and more ridiculous looking.
    At this rate, in another 10 years.. The original King Kong will look more realistic to me.

Bassman8, sonicsmitty, naneek and 2 others like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I loved the comic book heroes when I was a kid, I don't much like any of the superhero movies. The imagination does one thing with a character, but the movies do another. The character is usually far better in your mind than what they turn out to be on screen.

9. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

upload_2020-8-31_20-58-0.gif

Pah, the old CGI was much more realistic that the nonsence you see today.

RoyBGood, 61fury, drmordo and 4 others like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I can't quote it verbatim, but the sentiment of the citizens of Milagro mirror the attitude of the folks in Bakersfield when.

The character says, I've come to teach you. The response is something along the lines of: Chances are ese, around here if we don't already know something, we ain't interested. Ah, felt just like home.

naneek likes this.
  11. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Being retired military, I can vouch for that!

It doesn’t even work that way for a 6-foot-plus, 190 lb, Olympics-level-fit pile of muscle and stamina, with lots of training.

And I’ve got the old injuries, scars, and arthritis to prove it! :p

I wish I was still that fit. :confused:

These days, all I want is a comfortable chair, a nice heating pad, and some Bio-Freeze. Stuff that warrior crap! :D

I wish they would have taught me some of that movie stuff. It would have saved me a lot of pain, LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

12. Toto'sDad

What got me off on this toot is that I never had before, but when I switched over to streaming, and found that there is just a raft of stuff you can stream, I started binge watching old tv series westerns. I found that in every one of them, usually only about 25 minutes total running time, they manage to tell a story, that is somewhat plausible with little or no special effects, and certainly no CGI. I watched all of the Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive (and say Steve McQueen become Steve McQueen in the process) The Rebel, and I'm almost trough Have Gun Will Travel. Outside of a little news, and the golf tournaments, I've watched little else, and haven't missed anything.

naneek likes this.
  13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If the story is well told, I can suspend disbelief easily. CGI is just another storytelling tool that steps in when reality steps out.

What concerns me is the CGI you don't recognize.

CGV (voice) is getting really good. Just a few years ago, it was sort of like a mellotron, canned word samples. The CGV folks have been working overtime...

naneek likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I knew and worked with a guy who was in the airborne. A big fellow, he was already tough, they made him tougher. After he got out we were working in a potato shed trucking hundred pound sacks of spuds on the front, hard work like most folks never encounter. One of the boys there got to feeling his oats, and challenged the AB guy. As Marty said in the song, in less than a heartbeat the handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor. The airborne guy with amazing speed hit the guy in the chest so hard, it stopped his heart and he immediately collapsed. I felt for a heartbeat, and there was none, to this day I don't know what made me do it, but I grabbed an Igloo Cooler off the wall and threw the cold water and ice on the guy on the ground, and it shocked him back to life. The airborne guy had calmly sat down and lit a smoke.

A little addendum to this story. Years later, I came home one day, my wife whose mother had just passed away was holding the baby, she was crying and said there's there something wrong with her. Just an instant before I walked through the door, she had slumped over and was unresponsive. In an instant I recalled the above story, it was February, and the water coming from the faucet was ice cold, and I grabbed my daughter and ran to the kitchen sink and splashed cold water on her, and she jerked real hard, came back around and started crying. I don't know what was wrong, but she never did that again.

Mad Kiwi, naneek and Steerforth like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I completely understand you lamenting your fitness. I was once very fit. Luckily for me too because of some of the adventures I had along the way. Now I am so old and out of shape I can only look back on the day when I was fit. My wife reminds me though, that I'm in a lot better shape than many of my old buddies, they're dead!

naneek and Steerforth like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

What got me off on this toot is that I never had before, but when I switched over to streaming, and found that there is just a raft of stuff you can stream, I started binge watching old tv series westerns. I found that in every one of them, usually only about 25 minutes total running time, they manage to tell a story, that is somewhat plausible with little or no special effects, and certainly no CGI. I watched all of the Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive (and say Steve McQueen become Steve McQueen in the process) The Rebel, and I'm almost trough Have Gun Will Travel. Outside of a little news, and the golf tournaments, I've watched little else, and haven't missed anything.

naneek likes this.
  17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

CGI is fine, until it becomes distracting. Usually, poorly rendered CGI will tend to take me out of a movie, as I'm aware of the special effects. Special effects don't have look real or even be plausible, but they do have to fit in with the cinematography onscreen seamlessly. If not, suspension of disbelief becomes very difficult.

For me, this is also true of obvious effects that defy the laws of physics. I can accept Iron Man flying through space or clothes-lining a Kree on an anti-gravity scooter at 200 miles an hour; I can't accept Hellboy punching down on the hood of a car and having it do a cartwheel over his head and fly 50 yards. If he punched it that way, it would have made a crater in the road and stayed right where it was.

So, CGI is fine for me, so long as I'm unaware of it and it conforms to the laws of physics in the universe in which it is being used.

Does that make sense?

RoyBGood, Steerforth and naneek like this.
  18. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

technically the only cgi in "Return of the Jedi" was 2d computer assisted animation of the hologram which displayed the rebel's plans to attack endor.

However, the later special edition version added many cgi characters and additional sequences which don't blend well with the original footage.

Gaz_ and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That was a problem with many of George Lucas' "revisions"...

naneek likes this.
  20. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

This is kind of 2 separate arguments. This is more addressing suspension of disbelief in general than cgi.
    Zatoichi had no cgi, and crouching tiger hidden dragon had very little cgi, mainly stunt work and composite film techniques.

I wasn't very interested in Crouching Tiger, but I did think they created something that was visually beautiful. whether or not the story appealed to me, on an objective level those were impressive stunts and performances, which were well served by competent cinematography and editing.

For Zatoichi, there is no cgi at all. All the effects are practical. In that case, I am able to fully suspend my disbelief and become fully engrossed in the performance.

Here's the first episode of the Zatoichi TV drama from the late 60's. I bet anyone tired of cgi will really enjoy this.

edit- this is a lot like a classic western.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.