1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ceriatone DZ30

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ash Telecaster, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I said I would do a review when I got this amp.

My goal was to get a louder version of my ac15 and possibly a step up in quality from the usual OEM stuff. I had considered the Vox handwire but decided to try this route instead.

I bought it from Guitar Amps USA which is a US distributor for Ceriatone. To settle what seemed to be at question in other threads, the shipping was included in the price. It shipped super fast too.

I called the guy who runs the site. He was a really nice guy and super helpful. I can't remember his name, wish I could. He was very friendly, answered all my questions, etc. So customer service was superior.

I got exactly what I was looking for and more. It does the Vox thing to a tee. It is 30 watts through 4xEL84 but you can half the power via a back panel switch. It essentially disconnects two of the tubes.

It is much larger and heavier than I expected. You can get an idea from the picture as it is sitting on my Express 5:25. It is built like a tank. I would rate the build quality as exceptional. Sorry the pic is blurry. It was a quick cell phone pic.

It is a true 2 channel amp with a standard Vox AC30 style channel (left) and an EF86 channel (right). I have mostly played through the high input of the EF86 channel so far as it immediately brings me to AC15 land. It is a little sharper and tighter than my AC15. Some of that may be the speaker, Private jack vs Greenback, but I think a good part of it is due to being a more powerful amp.

The tone control on this channel is indented which I think is great as it probably won't change much while moving it around.

It has separate effect loops for each channel. They are accessed via 1/4" TRS connectors.

It also has a speaker phase setting too.

I haven't used it live yet, soon. It dirt's up nicely as you crank it up but also has plenty of headroom to use as a pedal platform. It's in stiff competition right now with my Marshall 1987x as my #1. The volume on the Dizzy 30 is much more controllable. It has a master volume but at 30 watts it just operates in a very usable volume range. The Marshall is brutally loud at a molecular volume knob setting. I've been running an EQ through the loop to tame it which works very well. This amp is very very very different from the Marshall. The Marshall is tight and bright and cuts like a knife. It's like the muscle car of amps. The Dizzy is warmer and a bit grainy sounding, in a good way, even at cleaner settings. It is articulate and touch sensitive.

Like any new piece of gear I need to live with it for a while and see it in action a few times, let the newness ware off a little, before my opinion becomes truly solidified. As of right now I'm really enjoying it!

[​IMG]

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been really wanting one of these for many years. Well, really a Matchless. But if this is as good as most of the reviews say, I think I'd be plenty happy with it.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  3. Ash Telecaster

I've never played a Matchless. Obviously this is a clone of the DC30. If the Matchless is truly a "better AC30" then it would probably be pretty close to this. I can really hear the bloodline between the DZ30 and my ac15c1. I know you had the ac15 and if your experience is the same as mine it sounds stellar at it's native volume but runs out of headroom too quickly for most live situations. I don't think our ac15's have the EF86 but the EF86 channel sounds a lot like the ac15 top boost channel only louder and a little brighter and tighter. If you ever make it back this way let me know and you can check it out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Jakedog likes this.
  4. Ash Telecaster

Been practicing with it a bit. Learning songs for some upcoming gigs. It is a great amp. Fat and chewy and just gives such a great singing lead tone. Can't wait to crank it up a bit and let it really rip.

I'm using a Private jack with it now but I'm thinking of getting g12m-65 or g12h-75. As I understand it the g12m-65 is a greenback with a medium size magnet and more power handling capability. The g12h-75 is from the same family but sports the heavy magnet. It is supposed to be a little brighter than the m-65. I love the greenback in my ac15 but I've noticed a lot of the boutique amps come with the h-75 as their stock speaker. I'm thinking there must be a reason for this.

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I've always enjoyed this guy's clips of his DC. Made me want one, but I missed ceriatone's sale on this circuit. They had a special where they were selling these for really cheap at one point. Still worth the price, but I've got too many amps already, to justify another one.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have played a DC30. Used to be in a band twenty years ago with a guy who had one. Pretty freakin sick amp.

LOUD. The louder he turned up, the better it sounded. When that thing was in full scream mode it'd peel the paint off a Buick Special at 130 yards. But man, what a sound.

7. Ash Telecaster

Sounds like a good representation to me. I like the playing! The regular price is insanely good compared to the Matchless.

This amp won't peel the paint off the wall, not like the 1987x. I think it's really the perfect stage volume though. You can crank it up to where the tubes are cooking but the volume is at loud drums and bass level.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Ash Telecaster

Just an update after some playing around. I was plugging the DC30 into a Private Jack loaded cab. That cab sounds killer with my Marshall 1987x and I figured it would be fine with the DZ30. Honestly I wasn't loving it. It came off as way too harsh. I was starting to have second thoughts about it but then decided to load a Greenback in the cab. Wow, what a difference. It really tamed the harshness and now I'm back to lovin' it. I'm surprised how big a difference the speaker made. Now I'm starting to think about getting a G12M-65 or a G12H-75 for a little extra volume. Anybody know how these compare to the Greenback. I've heard they are basically the same speaker with a bigger magnet. Anybody know if that's true?

Thanks

9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

The Bad Cat speaker in my Black Cat 30 sounds great with this circuit, pretty much the same as the DC30. It's based on the Vintage 30 with some proprietary hoodoo around the edges. So maybe try a V30?

10. Ash Telecaster

Good suggestion, thanks!

11. NJ Tele

NJ Tele TDPRI Member

Check out the WGS ET-65 have one loaded in my Ceriatone OTS and love it, very similar to Celestion G-12-65.

12. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

Yeah, in '92 I played a green DC-30 and bought a new Mesa .50 cal +. Didn't matter, 'cause I eventually sold the Mesa anyway. I had a mid-60's AC-30 and the Matchless was loads better.
    I recall that I bought the Mesa because it was $200 or so cheaper and smaller.
    Damn fine amp. And yeah,, a whole 'nother thing than any Marshall (at least the ones I had). 2 x 12, man...
    So a well-built clone of that is prolly quite nice. With whatever appropriate speaker(s).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.