1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ceriatone Dizzy 30 (Matchless DC30 clone) build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tcr45, Dec 8, 2010.

1. tcr45

tcr45 Tele-Meister

Finally got her up and running. Sounds incredible!

Still need to fix a few thing--the tone selector on the EF86 channel and the Cut control don't seem to be working. Will have to troubleshoot that later.

Also, I ended up not hooking up the FX loop since part of the point of the amp was to not have to use reverb. Dirt and Tremolo pedals can go up front.

Transformers wound by TDS. Cabinets by Hazely Tube Amps--great quality and very reasonable price for custom made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

I got one of those and had problems with the EF86 channel too...so ended up using a different tone stack, but I plan on going back and revisiting it once I finish my Lightning clone that I am building.

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

She's beautiful!

4. tcr45

tcr45 Tele-Meister

What kind of tone stack did you use? After further testing, I realized that the Cut and Tone knobs ARE working. The effect is just very subtle. Would like to have a little better tonal range, since I use this amp with a Les Paul, Tele, Strat, Epi Semi-hollow, etc.

I am very pleased with how well the Master Volume works, since using a THD Hotplate attenuator really affected the tone negatively.

5. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, beautiful build.

Q: I paid 1.1k for a '98 Lightning...does the clone-saving, build time, materials etc...etc....= a saving?

6. 71telelover

71telelover TDPRI Member

Beautiful work - congrats! I got Nik and the team to ship me a fully built head in the Ceriatone cab. I plan to build a Prinzetone in the near future. Meanwhile I highly recommend getting the VVR mod from Ceriatone which scales the power amp but not the pre so the master vol is still effective. While the VVR doesn't allow you to experience the magnificent nature of the amp at volume it does render it useable for recording and home use. I also recommend a NOS EF86 - I run a Philips and I have to say that channel one doesn't get much of a look in - think Gin Blossoms and you're in the ball park! :)

7. tcr45

tcr45 Tele-Meister

That's a difficult calculation to make. I've seen original DC30s go for $5k and up. The big factor is what you think your time is worth. Obviously, if you paid an amp tech $40/hr or whatever to build it, it would quickly become cost prohibitive. You can pay Ceriatone to do it for a VERY reasonable fee, or you can do it yourself. I happen to have had a fair bit of free time lately, so it was a good time for me to do the project. I never would have paid for a real Matchless DC30 (even one of the new ones), so it was worth it to me.

Especially since it sounds absolutely incredible.

And I unreservedly recommend Wade at http://www.hazelytubeamp.com for cabs. Reasonable prices and excellent quality.

8. tcr45

tcr45 Tele-Meister

Good to know about the Phillips. I've got an NOS Svetlana EF86 in there right now. It's still getting broken in, but sounds better and better every day.

I did buy the VVR kit actually, but the MV works so well, I didn't bother installing it. I will probably put the VVR in my Fargen Mighty-Plex, which is also cathode biased and doesn't sound so great with the MV.

9. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't be a hobby if it was a saving. ;)

goonie likes this.
  10. 71telelover

71telelover TDPRI Member

Yeah I love the EF86 - I know why Dr. Z uses them so often. Even with the JJ that Nik shipped I didn't have any problems with microphonics and I thought it sounded good. As soon as I moved to NOS I realised what I had been missing! I'll keep a look out for a Svetlana, it would be great to compare the two and see what's what.

On the VVR, I saw quite a lot of posts around that were very positive so I thought I would take the plunge and I'm glad I did. I find that balancing the MV against the VVR delivers some cool tones but then again as you say the MV is an outstanding execution of its kind. At the end of the day I can't quite believe how good the amp sounds (I'm running it through a Marshall 2061X cab).

11. tcr45

tcr45 Tele-Meister

I'm playing around with speakers. I've been running it into some Made-in-England Celestion Greeenbacks as you can see in the pics. They sound quite good, but I've got a Vintage 30 and G12H30 combo that I want to try out, too. I want to see if they're any more chimey. I've also just bought a pair of early-60s Rola speakers that came from a Hammond organ. They don't look like they can handle too many watts, but again, I'm curious how they might sound.

Are you running the stock speakers in your Marshall cab?

12. 71telelover

71telelover TDPRI Member

Yep - it's the G12H-30 70th Anniversary top and bottom (what makes them Anniversary-worthy I don't know!). I did think about going the Matchless route with the Greenback and G12H-30 to see what that sounded like but I like the cab as is so I left it well alone. Given you have the Greenback and the G12H30 it might be interesting to try it out a la Matchless. I think at some point I'll probably get another 2x12 cab and run it with Greenback and G12H-30 - I'm worried that the 2061X head is getting jealous ;)

Might be interesting to try the Rolas with your Fargen....

13. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Beautiful amp! Nice work
    The white w/ black trim looks great!

Thinking abour a Ceriatone - Would probably get it assembled, I have the time - But for a little extra,can get it done right!
    The trannies look similar to Vox?

How does she sound? They have incredible resale value, if you don't like it,can always sell it.

14. BarryW

BarryW TDPRI Member

that's really a pretty build, congratulations on getting it done. I'm going to try one of those after I tackle a Clubman.

15. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

I built the Dizzy 30 and ended up reducing the treble cap on the volume pot so it wasn't so Ice picky. I find the EF86 side sounds like it would work well for Tom Petty tone having a little bit on it and turn the tone knob two clicks left for deeper tone. I forget what the cap value is there. Changing out the caps is the biggest way to get the tone you want.

16. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

17. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

nice work.

18. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Zombie thread... comes back from the grave after a few years and looks for brains... nom nom nom.

19. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Is this what you have to do to get over 10,000 posts? nom nom nom?

Does anyone have anymore info on Ceriatone Amps?

20. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Double Zombie.....

What do you want to know? :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.