1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ceramic to Neodymium swap - Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by guitar_paul1, Apr 23, 2021.

1. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

I had this idea and found a video on youtube of someone doing exactly this.

Has anybody tried it?

It seems easy to try and easy to reverse if needed. It sounds like it adds a bit of high end, but of course who knows?

Has anyone tried this?

I'll be reunited with my Squier affinity in a month or so. If I can pull it off, I'll post my results.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

So what would this actually change? Just the strength / density of the magnetic field?

Are Neodymium stronger magnets?

3. 5haun

5haun TDPRI Member

Hmmm... I might try putting a small neodymium disc magnet on the bottom of each of the alnico3 pole pieces of my Fender "52 Vintage" reissue bridge pickup. It's hard to balance with the alnico5 "Cruel Mistress" neck pickup that I fitted. At least without moving the bridge p'up VERY close to the strings. I don't want to lower the neck p'up as the Cruel Mistress sounds best when it's set high (and it sounds VERY good).
    Food for thought, thanks. Of course getting a Cruel Mistress bridge pickup would solve the problem but I'm a bit short of money lately...

4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I use dime sized neodymium magnets in my shop for various tasks. They are so strong that if you get your finger in the way of them snapping together they'll pinch ya good! I've used them to recharge weak magnets on pickups. I would be concerned that adding one to the base of an alnico pole would be so strong as to pull on the strings and dampen your sustain.

5. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

I plan on using the small chiclet type magnets from discarded Sonicare toothbrush heads. I've made a 12 string lapsteel pickup from scratch using them and with a steel blade polepiece on the front side it measures about the same gauss as an alnico magnet right at the face near the strings.

68Telebass likes this.
  6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

That’s pretty cool!! Go for it!!

7. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

I've asked this question before, and the response I got was that the steel pole pieces influence the sound more than the magnets do, and from a few videos I've see, the strength of the Neo magnets isn't that much more, and in some cases can be less, than the ceramic magnet it's replacing. I'd be interested in what pure iron slugs would sound like, and Neo on AlNiCo sounds intriguing, but probably not necessary, and may even be overkill. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/neodymium-pickups.1016824/

I forgot the advice I received in that thread and recently replaced the ceramic-and-steel bits on my '03 Squier Strat with AlNiCo V magnets, and they still sound a bit high-strung, but better overall. I'd like to try some AlNiCo III magnets just to experiment. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-was...-the-heck-do-they-work.1066324/#post-10534294

guitar_paul1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.