1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ceramic Pick Ups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ray1954, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ray1954

ray1954 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone, does anyone know in what year the first ceramic pick ups for the Telecaster were made? Thank you

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Standards;
    1/2006 Upgrade

ray1954 likes this.
  3. ray1954

ray1954 TDPRI Member

thanks for your kind reply

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

And when did they switch back? 2015?

ray1954 likes this.
  5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It surely wasn't in the Leo 1950-64 era, they were strictly the AlNiCx family of weak rod magnets.

CBS, FMIC, a different story where bean counting was/is a more important corporate matter.

Interesting that G&L went the ceramic route ... ouch!

ray1954 and Telekarster like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Not until the Player Series replaced the Standard series in 2018. But, there were other MIM models before that that used alnico pickups.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Leo Fender was smart ... those MFDs/G&L pickups often have stronger magnets and lower wound bobbins to give equivalent output and less noise. Higher signal to noise ratio. Amp designers thinking methodology.

Where most players run into trouble with ceramic is they use published factory pickup height measurements meant for alnico on their ceramic pickups and then complain about the tone. Ceramic is stronger so the pickups need to be low low low to get classic guitar tones. Players need to use their ears when setting up pickups not published specs but they often ... don't listen.

I see Squier-Indonesia doing the same thing with their block-magnet pickups. Often 3-4kohm windings with ceramic.
    When the industry was chasing more hard rock 'metal' tones I think they found hotter pickups more desirable by their buyer demographic (You know, those darn teenagers and their loud rock 'n roll), than now when more players want softer output 'blues' pickups. Is that because more older players are picking up Squier guitars? More girls/women learning guitar to play pop music on Squiers? Not sure the cause but anytime I measure a Squier pickup, the more recent ones measure lower coil output with stronger magnets.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

And therein lies my problem with stronger magnets - they don't offer me the better range of "adjustment" that the AlNiCx family offers. But, ceramics are lots cheaper ......

Telekarster and Chiogtr4x like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I did not know until a few years ago ( never really thought about it) that my 2004 Standard Telecaster has ceramic pickups.

But I guess it explains why I noticed the bridge pickup sounds best ( either on it's own, or in combination with the neck) when it's as low as it can go!
    But all sounds good/balanced to me

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The most valuable musical instruments in the world, are made of the cheapest wood materials, Maple and Spruce. Not Rosewood, not French Walnut, not Mahogany or Ash, or Alder. And, no Ebony either, instead, they have dyed pear wood fingerboards. Pear wood is a generic term too, so who knows what the actual specie is.

I've found, a really good, clean articulate responsive pickup with the right output for my needs, sounds really good, plays articulately, is responsive and suits my needs. But, its easier to differentiate a product with a "superior" material, than superior know-how. Brazillian Rosewood tooth picks anyone?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Controller likes this.
  11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

The ceramic pups in my '96 MIM Strat were among my favorites. They were more like P-90s in the sense that they were steel poles sandwiched between two bar magnets. Current production Squier Bullet pups are basically the same design.

ray1954 likes this.
  12. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

Ceramic pickups are alright. Good points made about them in this thread. As has been said, you have to know what your after, and adjust the pickup height accordingly.

I do want to say if you want a really hot pickup, ceramics really shine here. I have three guitars with hot ceramic single coils in them, they rock pretty good. I used to have a cheap GFS guitar that I put a cheap $12 Artec overwound ceramic in for laughs, damn if it didn't sound awesome. I sold that guitar, I wish I had kept the pickup.

ray1954 likes this.
  13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Look at the Lindy Fralin Steel Pole(SP) 42 and SP43 pickups for Strats and Teles.

Rockdog likes this.
  14. John O

John O Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

everybody has their preference, and in my basement, all my guitars sound great, fenders, gibsons, G&L's. but when i play out with a band, the G&L's just sound better and they have better presence. they are my go-to gtr's for gigging. especially with a larger band. with a 3 piece band, not as important. when i am the only gtr player, i can bring whatever, and just adjust my amp, etc.

ray1954 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.