Cepheid 5: Ripthorn Builds a Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I have been wanting to build this bass for a long time, so I've had plenty of time to think about it. I've also been doing a lot of drawings and such, so I feel ready to jump in, but this will be a longer build due to the fact that I will be machining the bridge hardware, winding the pickups, and it is very much a concept build. However, let's introduce the Cepheid 5:

- 5 String bass

- 34-37" multiscale

- Dingwall style bridge

- Hipshot Ultralite tuners

- Hand wound pickups

- Two band preamp/EQ

- Birdseye maple drop top

- Roasted alder or cherry back (haven't decided yet)

Anyway, here is the design drawing. It has been slightly tweaked since this, but it gives you the gist:

[​IMG]

I printed this out, made the body template, and used some scrap 2.7mm plywood from a house project to mock up the neck, mostly for ergonomic and logistical purposes (such as knob locations).

[​IMG]

I won't be able to really get started in on this for a little while, but stay tuned, it should be a pretty wild ride!

ejphotos, Mat UK, spyderxxx and 13 others like this.
  2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

So I started to do some testing out of some ideas. First up, I wanted to do a thin aluminum pinstripe "veneer". This is 1/32" thick. A little wipe of oil on the far side just to see what natural is like, but I'm thinking dyed blue.

[​IMG]

I'm also liking the contrast with the cherry, so I'm thinking a cherry back:

[​IMG]

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I have a dingwall five string and it's great bass. The fanned fret concept really shines with a five sting bass. Looks good!!

4. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

That'll look awesome. Good luck on the build

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I agree...cherry (or sapele) for the back in natural color to contrast with the aluminum and maple. Stunning look I bet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.