+/- cents vs Frequency

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by spellcaster, Jan 17, 2020.

1. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

Darned if I can tell where this belongs, but let's try the Effects Club.....I use a Petersen Strobo-Flip tuner. It reads out +/- cents in the display, but not frequency. One of the sites I learn from online will sometimes mention that the recording is tuned at non-standard frequencies....eg: A436 instead of A440. Is there a relationship between cents and frequencies that would let me use my tuner, rather than tuning by ear to non-standard tunings?

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

good question!

this should explain it , hertz and Cents are 2 different logrhythmic scales used to describe the frequency values or the distance between frequencies

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    spellcaster likes this.
  3. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

Thanks, 24 track. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that, but it sounds like there's no set formula to compare cents and hertz. Guess I'll keep tuning by ear, or maybe leave different basses tuned for the common reference points.

24 track likes this.
  4. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

On the strobo flip you should be able to hit the €/Hz button and use the arrows to change the A440 reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spellcaster likes this.
  5. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

That's premium information...Thanks f69tele. I just tried it, and it works perfectly. It took me a while to figure out where the arrows are, lol......You can tell I've never played with much other than setting standard intonation, and my eyesight's pretty poor. But, yeah, the tuner powers on set to 0.00 cents, and after pushing the cents/hertz button it reads A440. Using the down arrow, allows me to drop the tuner to A436. Perfect!

By the way, since we're talking on the subject of A440, etc.....I remember a conundrum online a few years ago about claims that A432(?) tuning on a guitar yields something more musical than A440. I seem to recall that it was one of those can-o-worms things that there was no consensus on. Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

f69tele likes this.
  6. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I could be wrong, but frequency is the X-plane of a sine wave (or distance on that plane) and cents would be related to the Y-plane (min/max).

7. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

Yeah I’ve read a little about the 432 stuff. It’s interesting but I’ve never tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Are you talking about right-handed or left-handed rotational polarizations?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Deeve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.