1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Centre Frequency control - help please

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by 41144, Mar 14, 2019.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Good morning/afternoon/evening to all …

So, made my first foray into a pedalboard after using just a Zoom G3X for a few years, obligatory picture below from band practice last Tuesday:

But, this post is to try and get a correct (and simple) understanding of the what the CFR control on the Caline (CP-26) Snakebite reverb pedal does; just to check on that … the LPF (low pass filter) works the same as a tone control on a guitar - right?

I'm fine with all the other controls on this item but what exactly does the CFR (Centre Frequency control) do?

From reading stuff on the internet (always potentially problematic I know) I believe the CFR will alter the frequency range that the LPF responds to; ie with CFR at 0 the LPF responds more to bass frequencies … with the CFR at 10 the LPF responds more to treble frequencies?

Or, does the CFR interact more with the Res (Resonance) control to affect the tone of the resonance in some different way?

Or, if neither of those two … please supply the answer …. Thanks.

Meanwhile here's the pic. I can still attach the Zoom for wah/other effects - yes, I know the chain would be all wrong but if I were to use, say, wah wah, I wouldn't have other fx on.
    Also, I know the Snakebite should come after the Golden Tremolo … but if I need tremolo and reverb I can use the reverb on the amp.

PB1 sized.jpg

For those interested in this stuff …. Vitoos ISO4Plus power, Donner Golden Tremolo, Caline Snakebite, Joyo (JF-01) Vintage OD - for slight distortion, Akai (now Biyang) Blues overdrive - for simple boost/drive, Toms'line Tuner; Board is a Donner DB-2.
    Total cost c. £200/$280.
    Pleased with everything so far for the money … Best value for money, probably the Donner Golden Tremolo.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Bump!

3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much. Low pass means the lows get through and the highs don't, and the knob determines how much of the highs get chopped out or left in. If you play through just the reverb with the tone control on your guitar full up and a clean amp, you should be able to hear the same effect as your guitar's tone control in the reverb (only) as you adjust the knob.

[QUIOTE]I'm fine with all the other controls on this item but what exactly does the CFR (Centre Frequency control) do?

From reading stuff on the internet (always potentially problematic I know) I believe the CFR will alter the frequency range that the LPF responds to; ie with CFR at 0 the LPF responds more to bass frequencies … with the CFR at 10 the LPF responds more to treble frequencies?[/QUOTE]

Caline's web just says "CFR - A tone control," which is as helpful as a whammy bar on a tuba.

Low-pass filters don't have a center frequency, they have a cutoff frequency above which more than half the energy has been filtered out. Center frequencies are usually found on filters like wahs, where the pedal shifts the center of a tight passband that accentuates a small range of frequencies. If you try the same setup as above and hear a wah effect in the reverb as you sweep the CFR knob, that's what it does.

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Birfl …. Thanks for that, it has helped me redefine the Q I'm asking search engines - obviously I needed to ask the right question in the first place!

I subsequently came across this …

"Being (sic) an active control you can boost as well as cut a certain frequency cluster based around a key frequency value Centre Frequency. While for Passive Tone Controls the 12 o’clock position indicates circa 50%, for Active Tone Control 12 o’clock indicates ’0’ ? Inactive or Flat setting. Active Tone Controls usually have a significant impact on the volume of a pedal."

5. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

A center frequency is usually found on a parametric equalizer and is paired with a boost/cut knob. On boost, you can 'sweep' the mid frequencies of the sound - a bit like a wah pedal. On cut, you are getting a scoop with adjustable mid range. It is useful to have a 'width' control too which affects the 'Q' or resonance of the center frequency. On acoustic guitars, this can help eliminate feedback.

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

dobrojoe … Thanks for that too …

So, but for different reasons, does/should the CFR interact with the LPF …
    OR, is it more likely to be intended to affect the Resonance and/or Decay (wobble?) of the resultant sound?

tbh, so far, I'm not hearing anything different at any CFR position … which could of course just be down to my hearing or duff components!

7. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

In the context of a reverb pedal, the EQ probably only affects the reverb so would be subtle. Can't tell from the photo. Think of the CRF as a mid-range tone control that is higher than Low Pass Filter.

41144 likes this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Any of that is anybody's guess. The only way to know for sure what it does would be for the manufacturer to tell you (which they haven't), listening for well-understood behavior, analyzing its behavior with test equipment or reverse-engineering it.

41144 likes this.
  9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Birfl … Thanks for that and I quite agree … probably won't be too long before the Snakebite gets upgraded to the full size version of a TC electronics "Hall of Fame" anyway!

Did come across this, by way of a lay-mans term explanation of the Snakebite controls … from a Portland, OR, shop's website:

"CFR : center frequency : is an effective tone control, goes from dark sounding reverb all the way up to bright and sparkly sounding reverb that cuts through nicely."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.