Center tap from a dual secondary

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Prophetsnake, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a toroidal power amp I'm installing into a reverb unit, SS bridge rectification. I've used these before and always simply 'parked' the unused secondary, but I'd like to try using the two together with a centre tap. I've searched online and it seems do-able, but the explanations are a little vague as to how I go about it.
    This is how I understand it: If I tack one wire from each secondary together, power up, and if I have connected the correct two, I should see 460V. If I have them paired incorrectly, I will see zero and will need to swap one wire.
    However, I want 230V at the rectifier, so if I earth the connected wires - the centre tap, and connect the other two to the rectifier in the usual way, I'll have 230V there?

I'll note that I don't actually need to do this. I only need need 60 ma and a single secondary will provide 200. Still, I'd like to understand how this all works.

Many thanks!
    AS_1T230__44761.1387573662.1280.1280.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.