Cellulose without primer issues

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Chordophonic, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Im doing a ratrod style Strat, lefty body with right rout, right CBS neck, it's a new body made from Swamp ash, I will spray satin black cellulose rattle can, I want the paint to sink into the grain, will I have any major issues if I spray direct onto the bare wood, without primer?

Paul

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Are you spraying Nitro cellulose lacquer? If you are, you should not have any problems. I would clean the wood with Naphtha and let it dry prior to spraying. You can also clean with alcohol, or acetone. You just want to make sure that all dust, and oil is removed prior to spraying. I've sprayed Nitro lacquer many times on bare wood with no primer or pre coat. I've also sprayed it over vinyl sealer and shellac. If you could seal with either of the above, you will use less lacquer. I seal when I can.

3. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

I am considering using satin Black rattle can cellulose car paint straight onto the bare wood....I will give it a go and see what happens, thats the joy of wood it will rub down and refinish if necessary!.....

4. bluesplayer80

bluesplayer80 TDPRI Member

Just a suggestion, but Minwax makes a nitrocellulose-based sanding sealer (black can that says "Lacquer Sanding Sealer") that I've used and it's a great product- easy to apply... It would probably be a good idea to put a can or at least a few coats on before the color....

Just a suggestion..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.