Cello anyone?

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Probably way off the TDPRI agenda, but just in case anyone's interested in the cello

First of three programmes by the South African cellist Abel Selaocoe looking at cello music from pre Bach to highly unconventional 21st century music.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Probably way off the TDPRI agenda, but just in case anyone's interested in the cello

First of three programmes by the South African cellist Abel Selaocoe looking at cello music from pre Bach to highly unconventional 21st century music.
Thanks. I have a younger brother, who's a pediatrician in Ohio, who has played cello since fourth grade. Has played professionally in several symphony orchestras, and performed several times in Austria and other European countries. I'm very partial to the cello. ;)

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i've thought about a mandocello (and dumping the double courses) or a "baritone tenor" for interesting voicings and a little extended normal range.

this guy is my favorite cellist and a big inspiration to the way i play guitar:

Last edited:

Resojazznblues

Tele-Holic
I love the warm, deep, and resonant tones of cello. One of my favorite suites and recordings are:

And this is a very well written story on an interesting topic involving cello:
41UhKGDYpeL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I love the warm, deep, and resonant tones of cello. One of my favorite suites and recordings are:

And this is a very well written story on an interesting topic involving cello:
View attachment 939542

Stephen Isserlis published a guide to the Suites last year too.

The Bach Suites are something of an obsession of mine. Not many days without something from them. And yes, Casals is the boss, but Anner Bylsma is my favourite.

Last edited:

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Always loved the sound of a cello. My wife and son got me one years ago. I have trouble with the bow. But I play it like a stand up bass.
Always figured I’d get serious about it one day.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
By odd coincidence, my son has his first cello lesson in a couple of years today! He was taking it for school but they had to cut their strings program, and then the thing happened, etc.

It is an amazingly versatile and beautiful-sounding instrument.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Agree with the previous posts.

There have been many transcriptions for guitar. The high-low range mimics the guitar nearly identically (well, pretty close). Here's one performance by a player I have barely heard of. All 6 Cello Suites on guitar. About 90 minutes total. Great stuff!

(live recording with a real audience)

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I love the cello. It's one of the few instruments where I buy a CD just because it says the word cello on it.

On one of my last songs I really wanted a cello solo. But I don't play cello or know anyone who does.

So, just out of interest, I tried the cello setting on my Roland Go Keys. Usually on an inexpensive keyboard, any sound in the bottom third of the range just sounds like farts.

But the Roland sounded great - totally non-flatulent. Everyone who's heard the song thinks it's me playing cello.

It's called This life, and is the 3rd song on my Persona non grata E.P., if anyone is interested in my fake cello solo: https://grantstewart.bandcamp.com/releases

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I love the cello. It's one of the few instruments where I buy a CD just because it says the word cello on it.

On one of my last songs I really wanted a cello solo. But I don't play cello or know anyone who does.

So, just out of interest, I tried the cello setting on my Roland Go Keys. Usually on an inexpensive keyboard, any sound in the bottom third of the range just sounds like farts.

But the Roland sounded great - totally non-flatulent. Everyone who's heard the song thinks it's me playing cello.

It's called This life, and is the 3rd song on my Persona non grata E.P., if anyone is interested in my fake cello solo: https://grantstewart.bandcamp.com/releases
A plug for the teacher I had 15 years ago who will add cello to recordings.

She's also a very good teacher and very experienced with adult beginners.

My one regret in life is not taking up the cello earlier. By the time I was able to, there were too many factors in life against it, and to be perfectly honest, I failed. To get anywhere I'd have to give up my other musical passions, bass, guitars (and yes banjo,) and I know I can't. But I loved my lessons with Deryn and the hour she spent explaining the different things she considers as she plays the first few bars of the 1st Bach Suite was the best musical hour of my life. I still get out my cello fairly regularly to make sure it's OK, and give it a scrapy scale or two.

And listen to a lot.

Some favourites:
Bach and Britten's solo suites
Gabrielli's Ricecari
Leo Brouwer's cello music

Players (in no particular order)
Anner Bylsma. I sat in on a masterclass he did and he was amazing and charming and a total delight.
Peter Wispelwey
Truls Mork
Lynn Harrell
Stephen Isserlis
Susan Sheppard
Phoebe Carrai
Yo Yo Ma of course.
Pablo Casals of course.

I'm very happy this thread has reached some. other cello fans.
Some music to finish. Bylsma playing Gabrielli

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member

@hemingway What model Roland are you playing?