1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Celestion V-Type demonstration (clean/crunch/high gain)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by c_tecks, Jan 3, 2021.

1. c_tecks

c_tecks TDPRI Member

Any V-Type users here?
    Has similarities to a V30, but way more mid scooped.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It’s the stock speaker Marshall uses in their DSL40CR, so I suspect there are a few users here.

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of them. I have been happy with them.

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a 12” V-type in a Fender Bassbreaker cab. I use it with a Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 18 head.

It definitely has some V30ish qualities with higher gain going on, but I find it really shines with clean tones. Clean, it’s full, warm and clear - I’m getting clean tones in the Vox territory, a little less bright than Fender cleans.

With a little dirt, it’s sounds great, as well, for bluesy or classic rock. But as I turn up the gain towards classic metal territory, it’s starts to sound boxy and I find my 1x12 open back cab with an Eminence Private Jack sounds much bigger than the 1x12 Fender can with the V-type. The V-type just obliterates the Private Jack for cleans, though. The Private Jack sounds anemic clean, by comparison.

Edit: The v-type could sound a lot better for high gain in a 212 or 412 configuration - haven’t tried that.

5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

It is the stock speaker in the Fender 68 custom deluxe reverb. I tried several other speakers and the V-Type sounded best to me in that amp.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I got one.. it’s bright and clear in my DSL. It seems weak on the low end but that might be the cab and naturally bright amp. Got no reason to change it but I would like an extension cab for some gigs to get the extra girth.

Hard to compare with others unless in same cab. It does not have the mid punch of my EVM equipped cabs.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

True enough - it could be my cab that is a little boxy with high gain. Also the TubeMeister head clean and lead channels are voiced very differently - the cleans a classic sounding to me, but the lead channel is modern and similar to a SLO-100 kind of high gain tone.

I have to admit that it sounds much better with high gain in the video that what I’ve experienced, but a speaker also sounds very different close-mic’d and recorded than it does live in a room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.