Celestion speakers in a Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul B, Jan 22, 2006.

1. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

You might also consider a Weber Sig 12B which is like a Jensen with a Brit cone.

2. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Bumping an old thread: I'm thinking about buying a Gold for my Deluxe Reverb, but they are not cheap. Do the Golds break up early, or can you get lots of headroom out of them?

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Drewsome007

Drewsome007 Tele-Meister

The golds are designed to sound similar to the blues but with way more clean headroom, can't go wrong imo great speaker for just about any amp

uriah1 likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Love gold in my drri

pluckbuddy likes this.
  5. Fred Rogers

Can I ask what you like about it over the stock speaker? Have you tired other speakers for the DRRI?

I love my Deluxe Reverb cleans, but when I use dirt pedals it's lacking. I'm guessing a British voiced speaker with be a little lacking with cleans, but work well with od pedals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. uriah1

Tried about 7 speakers. ..sort of like goldilocks ...some too harsh. .some to flubby ..some too bright. ....that one was just right

7. Drewsome007

Drewsome007 Tele-Meister

Only goldilocks didn't spend hundreds along the way☺️

8. uriah1

Ha yep should have read more threads lol

9. Fred Rogers

I'm going to pour porridge in the back of my amp.

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Dropped a Gold into a Dr Z Maz18, dig it.
    A big improvement over the G12H.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Golds seem to be one of the favorites.

Mines the Tone Tubby 40/40 if you want lots of clean headroom and no bottom flub and barely any high end harsh.

Alltone Reverend 1250 might also be consideration, it straddles that line between vintage American and Celestion Brit voice. 12100 even more headroom. Great cleans and funk tones and smoldering blues/rock OD. Think Gary Moore, Leslie West approved OD tones.

12. hungry4des

hungry4des TDPRI Member

I know this is an old and dead thread, but I figure I will add my experience to help others that end up reading it later, like I did.

I changed the factory Celestion Midnight 60 that came with my Custom Deluxe Reverb to a G12H30 Anniversary. I absolutely love what it did to the amp. I have tried may other Celestions with it and I kept coming back to it. Fair warning, it is super LOUD! The G12H30 is rated at 100dB and it made a HUGE difference. It tightened and increased the low end and kept the bass from getting too flabby but you can still make the amp fart out if you really want to. The mids and highs are more distinct from each other and you can get some chime out of it. It handles single coils and humbuckers just fine. It's got mid growl when you drive it hard and just the right amount of highs (can sizzle when pushed) to keep note clarity when distorted. It also does clean tones very nicely.

If you want a good closed-back sound, I use a vertical 2x12 with a Celestion Blue on the bottom and a 20W Heritage Greenback or EVH Greenback on top. So far, that's been a match made in heaven for all the amps I own.

Tim S and northernguitar like this.
  13. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

How can you say that....I have a greenback in my princeton and its sounds amazing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.