Celestion speakers in a Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul B, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Gypsyblue

Gypsyblue Former Member

It does sound terrific. Way better than any stock speaker Fender ever used in a DR.

IMO, the Greenback sounds better in a closed back cabinet like a Marshall bottom though - or in a larger cabinet than a DR that can generate a little more bass.

I like the G12H in a DR because it has more bass than the Greenback and gives me more of the cleanish sound I'm looking for when I play Hendrix style chord melody and jazzy blues chords and what not. But the Greenback sounds really good too.

2. Gypsyblue

Gypsyblue Former Member

Probably all to true. No new Celestion , even when broken in, sounds as good as my old Celestions that I've managed to keep the original cones in.

Here's a shot of my Princeton Reverb. It's my favorite sounding amp that I own. [​IMG]

The comments I get when I gig with it are all about what a smooth, sweet tone this amp has and how it's not to trebley.

I use a Gibson 335, my Tele with Bardens and my Strat with Duncan Antiquitys.

To me, Greenbacks have more crunch than G12 Alnicos. I like both sounds but the G12 Alnico helps my guitar sound more like a violin when I want it to - plus I can still get nice Clapton Cream & Bluesbreakers tones.

The G12H30 that I use in my Deluxe Reverb is just one of those UK made Anniversary speakers - but it's well broken in. Get's great clean tones & blues tones but also has that Hendrix "Wind Cries Mary" "Little Wing" thing on tap when I need it.

3. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

I have a Celestion Blue in my '65 Deluxe Reverb and it sounds great! The Celestion Blues in my '63 AC30 sound great too!

4. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

The G12H30 is a match made in heaven with these amps. ;) Greatly improves volume/headroom. Just a sweet combo imo.

5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I have no idea what a BFDR with the Celestion G12H30 Heritage would sound like, but if it is anything like my Swart AST Master MkII with the above Celestion in it, then it could only be described as sublime. As far as speakers go, it takes a considerable amount of time to break it, but you will notice it over time. I won't be changing mine for anything else.

6. Jack

Jack Tele-Meister

I tried my Weber Blue Dog 50 alnico in mine and was not impressed. It tamed the highs and brought the mids out, but at the expense of note definition and response. I put the stock Jensen (I think it's a C12K) back in and like it much better.

IMO the british type speakers change the character of this amp too much.

7. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the C. Rex is a great in a DR. That said, my cousin has a V30 in his Princeton. (Changed out the baffle, of course.) And it sounds great. I would imagine it would also work well in a DR if that's the kind of tone you're after.

8. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Did you have to drill any holes in the skirt of the speaker or inside the baffle of the Deluxe Reverb to get this in? Or is it a simple "drop in" speaker? I've got a DRRI and would consider this speaker for my amp.

9. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I'd be a little worried about a Blue in a 22W DR. Blues are 15W speakers no? Gold would be a lot safer...

And Gold's do sound great. Here's my '73 SFDR with a Gold that ain't coming out...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Not a simple drop in. The Gold has 4 screw holes not 8. On my '73 pictured above, I simply screwed out four of the screws from the baffle and saved 'em.

11. Sid Hudson

Sid Hudson TDPRI Member

My favorite speaker!

12. willvis

willvis TDPRI Member

weber 12F150 mushy bass

I finally got a Weber 12F150 50 watt, light dope, and in my '71 DR, it farts out on the low end. I think I'm going back to either my G12H30 Anniversary or WGS Reaper. I was hoping for more classic Fender twang and chime, but instead I'm getting earlier breakup, which can be cool in bluesier situations. But the 30 watt Celestion---and the WGS clone---seem much more versatile to me. I have also used a Emi Cannabis Rex, but that speaker really loves my Dr Z Maz 18 Jr.

13. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

I went to a Gold when the Jensen reissue failed in my DRRI. I sometimes use a 212 cab with a Gold and a G12H30 Heritage (55htz). Celestions in Fenders work for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TheNewGuy75

TheNewGuy75 TDPRI Member

Great info on this thread!

15. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I put a Weber 12F150 with light dope in my blackface DR and a V30 in my Silverface.
    Both 50 watts and both stay clean way up the dial.
    I like the one I'm playing at the time best.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hopefully the guy who started this thread in 2006 looking for speaker suggestions will check in before he makes his decision.

Searing75 likes this.
  17. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Hahaha!n Some of us do take a long time to make a decision!

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I got one of the first of the RI Deluxe Reverbs. Crapola speaker, so I stuck a Celestion Greenback in there. Excellent sound, fit that amp so well.
    MD

19. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Now that statement has me laughing my ass off, Johnny Carson would have loved your comment!

20. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I recorded our last record almost entirely on the engineer's blackface DR with a Celestion Gold. It had some of the loveliest cleans I've ever taken part in producing, and took pedals really well. I didn't get to try turning it up to get tube overdrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.