Celestion speakers in a Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul B, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Paul B

Paul B Tele-Meister

Hello

I am looking for a nice warm distorted sound from my Deluxe Reverb.

A friend of suggested the Celestion G12h 30 watt especially for distortion.

What are your experiences ?

Has the Jensen P12n got a harsh distortion ?

Has anyone got any other recommendations from the Celestion range of speakers ?

Regards

2. the guy who invented fire

the guy who invented fire Tele-Holic

one of the best sounding Deluxe Reverbs I ever heard was a 68 drip edge with a G12h30...I say go for it!

3. Scatterbrain

Scatterbrain Tele-Meister

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget the age old dilemma of Celestions and Fenders....a G12H30 only has four mounting holes, while a DR has eight speaker screws in the baffle. You either need to drill holes in the speaker or cut/remove screws from the baffle.

As for your original question, I've been very happy with an Eminence Cannabis Rex in my DR. I love G12H30's but they can get pretty bright in some DR's. YMMV.

5. AtomicMassUnit

AtomicMassUnit Tele-Meister

I have a Celestion silver ceramic bulldog in my DR, and it is my absolute favorite for smooth driven sounds. They made the blue alnico bulldog, then the silver alnico, then the silver ceramic. This speaker beat out a Weber 12f150, Weber 12A150, Jensen p12nri, Jensen p12n, and a Weber california for being the 'keeper' in my DR.

6. Paul B

Paul B Tele-Meister

Has anyone compared the G12H30 against the G12 65 watt speakers ?

Is ths ths G12H 30 a sweeter sounding speaker ?

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a G12H30 in my Marshall 18 clone, and it is wonderful for that application. I need to connect it to my Deluxe-Amp and see what comes out.

Regarding the 4-bolt vs. 8-bolt problem, I once had a Rola-Celestion "blackback" in my Deluxe-Amp, I just took a pair of pliers and broke off four of the mounting studs from the baffle. It was easy.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just did a quick comparison between the Reverend Alltone in my Deluxe-Amp cabinet, and the Celestion G12H30 in my "Marshall". Plugging the speaker wire from the Celestion into the Fender amp, the Celestion has a nice full "middy" balance with good warmth. It does well in the brightness region without ever getting ice-picky. And it's loud. The Reverend speaker, which is a sort of modified P12N-ish sound, seems a lot brighter up top with less mid and warmth.

With the Deluxe-Amp, the Celestion gives more of a blues and rock tone, the Reverend is more of a typical Fender Blackface tone with more bottom and top and less mid and warmth. They're both very good. I think the Reverend is a little more exaggerated, and the top is a bit more harsh, the Celestion seems more natural and articulate.

For clean playing, amp below 3-4 on the volume, I could live with either one. With the amp turned up, I clearly prefer the overdriven tone through the Celestion.

Keep in mind, that was just a quick five-minute bedroom comparison. I used a 1966 Telecaster and a George-L cable.

9. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

V30, 12F150

I've had Vintage 30 in my 65DR for a few years. Very loud aggressive speaker, not sure if I'd categorize it as "warm" though. I drilled 4 new holes in it rather than change the baffle. I've recently replaced it with a lightly doped Weber 25W 12F150 and I'm happy with the change. Both speakers are much more efficient than the stock unit, and are loud. The Weber is sweeter at lower volumes, which suits my playing style lately.

Higher efficiency, I think, is the key. Beyond that, there's tubes, caps, neg. feedback mods, etc. to tweek it to your taste.. assuming it's not the reissue.

My DR was transformed into a little monster when I made these changes:
    1. More efficient speaker.
    2. Mess w/ the PI cap value to fatten it up at low volumes.
    3. Remove bright cap from channel 1.
    4. Increase the negative feedback resistor.
    5. Pull the Normal channel preamp tube.
    6. **Try 6L6s and a solid state rectifier (don't use SS rectifier w/ 6V6s).

** Didn't keep this mod - I like the 6V6's / tube rect. better.

10. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

I have a Mojo Greenback clone ( http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/9911200.html ) in my DR and love it. I believe Eminence manufactures the Mojo speakers. FWIW, I'm tending to like the Eminence speakers better than the Celestion reissues since they seem to have the nice gritty distorted tone but clean up better than the Celestions do. The price is also OK as you can find 'deals' on them.

11. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

also to fatten things up

I would replace the 6.8K mid resistor with a 10K ( mid control on 10) . A very common mod and easily reversible.

AN Eminence Legend GB12. Cheap dough and great sounding.

12. Routed52Bguard

Routed52Bguard NEW MEMBER!

Celestions are not for Fender amps. If you have a harsh sound from P12N, it is a reissue or you have another problem. The single greatest misconception in all of electric guitar playing is that Celestions will give any setup a Marshall overdrive sound. (the second greatest misconception, that if you put a humbucker on a Fender you have a Les Paul and a Fender, has been largely abandoned) . In addition, the greatest Marshall players of all time did not use Celestions. Hendrix, Duane Allman, and D. Betts used JBL D120 on all recordings and live. Celestions are great for classic plexi tone, period. Bad Company, AC/DC. Original P12N, JBL D120, K120, Altec 417, are great in the DR. A black Hammond P12N is $100-150. The reissues are $300 and extremely harsh. I had mine reconed with original Jensen kits by Ron Neal the Jensen man 5 years ago, and just the thought of taking them out of the box makes my ears hurt, even though they are probably safe reconed. Unless you are restoring a Marshall, no Celestions.

13. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Robben Ford has a Greenback Celestion in his BFDR and it sounds terrific

14. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

+1 :lol:

15. tuberoast

tuberoast TDPRI Member

I use a WGS ET-65 in my BFDR...sounds great

16. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

The Celestion Gold/50 is a great speaker in
    the Deluxe Reverb. The Blackburn Mullard 12AT7
    tubes from 1984/5 for your PI in prpeamp.
    Mullard GZ34 and the old stock 6V6GTA 14 watt 6V6 tubes.
    The 6V6GT are 12 watts, the dual getter GTA's are great
    if you can find them.

[​IMG]

17. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I tried a bunch of speakers in mine. Including JBL, V30, etc, blah blah. Settled on an old reconed P12N.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Boy this is an old thread...went through about 10 speakers swaps.(ew that gold alnico looks nice)..ended up going to the newer 100 watt c12k..good for now.

note; my g12h30 a little too rocking edgy..nice rock though..lost the fender chime

19. Gypsyblue

Gypsyblue Former Member

I have. I don't know about sweeter, but I like the G12H tone better overall. Love those chimey SRV "Lenny" tones and Hendrix style "Little Wing" tones I can coax out of it.

But I liked the G1265 a lot. Robben Ford uses the G1265 if that tells you anything about the way they sound.

My Celestions that get the sweetest sounds in my old Fenders are these silver G12's. I have four of them. Two in this Matchless, one in my Princeton Reverb and I'm going to put the other in my other Deluxe Reverb - I have two DRs.

[​IMG]

They're a mid 60's Celestion alnico like the blue but silver instead. I believe the cone might have a slightly lower lower resonance and the speaker might handle slightly more power.

The new Celestion G12 Blues are very bright when new - they take some breaking in. Seems like the Emi and Weber inspired clones of the Celestion G12 are not bright enough though.

20. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The G12H-30 (of which there are three types not the same) is a great speaker but punchy as originally intended as a bass-guitar speaker.

A "nice warm distorted sound" is Greenbacks but the modern ones are not a patch on the old ones, and they are only 25W (so 2x12 works). The G12T was intended to be the high-power "Greenback" G12T-65, G12T-75 or G12T-100 (Hot 100). The Heritage G12T-65 is closest to original but the Classic G12T-75 is the classic Celestion thump and roar in a Marshall 4x12 cab. The G12T-100 "Hot-100" is a cheapo, you pays your money...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.