Celestion G10 Gold Makes PRRI Smoke...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bobscribbly, Jan 14, 2015.

1. bobscribbly

bobscribbly TDPRI Member

Celestion G10 Gold Makes PRRI Smoke... Smokin friggin super hot sauce smoke.... OMG, how is it even possible for an amp to sound THIS good. Any of my guitars just sound phenomenal through this thing now... Upgraded the power and rectifier tubes with some new Mullard not NOS Mullards... Anybody else had a simular experience.... mmmmmmmm G10 Gold...

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There's a reason it one of most desired speakers in the world. A classic. Now get you a Alltone 1040 and a Tone Tubby 40/40 and give use a side by side comparison. :D

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool..i was assuming that for thr gold :) any break in time or out of box

4. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

A Celestion gold 12" makes a dr z maz 18 smoke also.
    My fave speaker by far.

Have you guys seen the reviews on the doug n pat show?
    They have this old vox amp with old celestion Alnico speakers and every guitar they play thru it sounds killer.

5. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Watched the Doug n Pat Show on Gibson Juniors....best show on YouTube...."not factory tuned"......anyway back to the Celestion Gold isn't it essentially a modern Celestion Blue
    updated to handle more power than the Blue but it is also very cool that they offer the Gold as a 10..... The Tayden Ace also available as a 10 is likewise an alternative to the legendary Celestion Blue which is of course probably the best speaker in the world.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Great speaker; I had one in my old VOX AC4C1-BL. It gave it a classic/vintage VOX tone.

7. telo

telo Tele-Meister

Yes, my last three PRs have had Golds. Heck, so does my Harvard. I guess you can say that I'm a bit of a fan.

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I've been up and down with this speaker. I posted recently (here or in the Strat forum, can't remember) that I didn't think it was all that special. Seemed kind of neutral with no outstanding qualities. I've had it in a couple of different amps, most recently in a PRRI, where I replaced it with a P10Q that I thought was more "correct" (I really do like the Jensen in that amp).

I recently put the Gold back in and it's sounding better than I remembered. Damn good as a matter of fact, with solid bass and smooth mids and highs. You could almost call the tone creamy. Maybe its still breaking in. It's had quite a few hours of play over the months since I bought it, but at lower home levels, and I've heard the Golds need a lot of break in. Anyway, I'm going to keep it in there for a solid month and see if it continues to improve.

9. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

I can imagine it sounds great, my 1966 Princeton Reverb has an Eminence Red Fang 10" now (after it had a Weber C10Q and an Eminence Ragin Cajun, both great, great speakers) and - other than a brown early 60's Princeton I once tried, could not afford it at the time - it's hands down the best amp I ever tried, at the least the best I ever owned.

Congrats!

Yep, my thoughts exactly!

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

The secret to breaking in a Gold, or Blue, is to hit it with heavy bass frequencies (e.g. bass maxed/ten, treble minimized/zero) for about 15 minutes. It will sound awful and muffled, but it will get the cone moving and other parts moving to significantly speed up the break-in process.

Then, resume with your normal playing frequency settings.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  11. bobscribbly

bobscribbly TDPRI Member

Sorry bout the late reply, just been so busy playing my PRRI with Celestion G10 Gold that I forgot about forums for nearly a month there. I bought my G10 secondhand it had maybe 5 hours on it then, now its done 30 hours at decent volumes and is starting to get richer and fuller...Reckon in another few months it will sound even better, it really is a lovely combination that just keeps making me smile.

12. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Thread resurrection. Sort of. *6 months later I found this thread. I just did an A-B of identical '65 Princeton Reverb reissues (PRRI). One had the stock Eminence speaker. The other had the Celestion G10 Gold.

Clearly the one with the gold was louder before breakup giving the amp more clean headroom. (i.e. Vol = 5-6 on the PRRI with the Gold required a Vol setting of 6-7 on the stock '65 PRRI)

The PRRI with the Gold speaker had a more creamy, well poised breakup. Solo tones were more lyrical where the stock '65 PRRI w/Eminence speaker was more classic/american break up, giving up a looser somewhat flabby (Classic) break up. Very usable sound and really more 'authentic' to the Fender sound that I know.

But that said, the PRRI with the Gold was overall more impressive.

Then for grins, I played both PRRI's in Stereo, Oh-My-G-d! But that is just an amusing side bar. Yet ...Now I want "Both" versions. One stock and one with a Gold.

13. CrazyDrew6

CrazyDrew6 TDPRI Member

I was wondering if when I get a 59 bassman one day (life goals) I was thinking about loading it with 2 Jensen p10r-s, 1 celestion gold g10, and one Jensen bs bass 10 inch speaker. The first 2 are for classic tone, while I hope that the other 2 will help the bass and mods. Is this stupid?

14. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Just saw this thread so I know I'm coming in late…
    I've had a Celestion Gold 10 in my PRRI for about three years.
    I play chord melody jazz on a Tele as well as folk/rock rhythm.
    I like a thicker sound and the Gold 10 seems to deliver that.
    The midrange is nicely filled out and the bass solid and defined.
    The trebles ring nicely with a roundness to the notes that suits my ear.

I have a 62 Princeton (Chris Stapleton) on the way. I'm curious as to how that Eminence 12 will sound.
    I have a Tone Tubby 12 Red in the box that I may install in the 62 Princeton.
    It had resided in a 57 Deluxe and sounded magnificent.
    I sold the 57 Deluxe to finance the purchase of the 62 Princeton.

Just my two cents, folks...

uriah1 likes this.
  15. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I hope you're not being literal ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.