Celestion Cream Alnico in '71 Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jlott, Nov 18, 2018.

1. jlott

jlott Tele-Meister

Thinking if switching up the speakers in my old Twin. It currently has Eminence Legend in it and I've never really liked the sound of it. I have Legends in a '73 Vibrolux and it is my most favorite amp amd seems to love every guitar and pedal. Just wanting to switch it up. No experience with Celestions in Fenders. Was even thinking of maybe mixing a cream alnico and a creamback 75. Anyone with any alnico experience with these old Fenders please tell me how you like it. Both amps are regularly maintained and running great. The twin it seems has always kinda lagged in the tone department. Maybe I just don't like it. Who knows .
    Thanks

2. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I run 2 x 1 x 12 x 90w Creams with my 69 Dual Showman Rvb, an its never sounded better. Love the speakers.

The cabs are like the EV/TL806 but made/tuned for JBL E120s. I had 3 piece backs made so I could run Semi Open with other speakers, or sealed. I wouldn't run these ported.

I also sometimes mix an E120/Cream, but really like the Creams on their own. Also use them with a 2013 Metro GMP45 head.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    CV Jee Beez and jlott like this.
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I have a Cream 90 in my Brown Deluxe and it's awesome.

mabley123 and jlott like this.
  4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

These are in my 71 Twin... and just sound fantastic.. likely mounting a pair of neo creambacks in near future though

503E7B67-602B-4C88-BC75-A2E6068D7924.jpeg

5. jlott

jlott Tele-Meister

Which Celestion is that Wire Line?

6. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Are you expecting a speaker change to net more breakup or overdrive? I would go with a pair of older Celestion 80 speakers in a Twin(mainly because I know and love that speaker immensely-not one built after the early 90's though. They were Celestion's true chameleon as a speaker and work in many applications). Never hearing the speaker I have no idea if a Cream 90 would sound good, but that is an expensive route to go. If you looked around, you could find a half dozen working Celestion 80 speakers for less than a pair Cream 90. I have experience with the Celestion Gold 10 which is a great sounding speaker, but I didn't like the Gold 12. Maybe the Fane Alnico speakers would be another range of speakers to look at. I haven't tried their new line of speakers, but the AXA series Alnico speakers were really great sounding. I still have an AXA 10 in a Princeton 6G2 and wished they still made this speaker. It replaced the Celestion Gold.

https://www.fane-acoustics.com/

7. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Old Vintage 30, British made

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My main complaint with Celestions is that they're so efficient. In a TR I don't want or need efficiency.
    There's a MIC Greenback and MIE Creamback in my 65 BFTR now, those are both Celestion's idea of low efficiency and they sound good but they're louder than I like. That amp will get some Mavericks eventually.
    In my not so humble opinion speakers that put out around 100 db on the first watt are crazy in a big amp these days. Outside of the Emminence FDM speakers and a few other low wattage things. The manufacturers are making speakers for a by gone time before PA systems, low volume venues, and the vast majority of players playing at home.

Oh yeah I'm very aware the Greenback in the BFTR is underrated in the wattage department. I got it cheap, it's Chinese I never turn it up far, and in the unlikely event that it does blow, I ain't to worried about it. Got a cone repair from a hole already, that's why it was cheap. :)

9. jlott

jlott Tele-Meister

Thanks. All I really do is play at home now with friends and my son. The Eminence in it now are really efficient. Just don't love the sound like I do my Vibrolux. Funny even with the Eminence, I've never thought it was that loud. I keep it on 3 or maybe a tiny tiny bit lower. That's about the same volume I keep the Vibrolux too. Hoping different speakers will make me like the Twin better. It's ok, but really only ok.

10. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Many feel the Cream is the best speaker Celestion has made in 40 years.

Another really nice speaker with the TRVB is a 150w Celestion Redback G12H. Ceramic.. They also get great reviews by those who have used/heard them.

Ive got 2 Redbacks in my 1 owner 2001 Fender Cyber Twin. I swapped them out last year, and they are a great speaker. $170.

I did have the 2 Creams in the CT, but got the RBs to try, and they work great, so now I use the 2 x 1 x 12 Creams with a Dual Showman/Metro for portability. vs a 2 x 15- 4 x 12.

My main cabinet since 1973 was a 2 x 15 Carvin loaded with Altec Lansing 418H, and I still have it.
    The CT became my grab/go amp since I got it new in 2001.

Both the Redback, Cream take distortion/OD great. Not to mention great cleans.

A fully functional Silver Face Twin Rvb is capable of putting out at least 150w cranked. Amp is 100w RMS, and for me, I wouldnt use anything less tan 180w worth of speakers. I really like more like 2x amp RMS ( 200w ), but considering Ill never crank my Showman, 180w works great. Its brutally loud on 4 with the ODS mod turned on.

Good thing about the Redbacks is 2 of them = 300w, and should last a lifetime in a Twn Rvb if taken care of. I have to admit Im kind of partial to Alnico speakers, and I HATE any kind of speaker funny business. The more speaker capacity vs amp RMS I have, the better I like it.

In simple terms Amp RMS is the ability to generate energy/Heat.
    Speaker RMS is the ability of the speaker to absorb energy/Heat that the amp is generating, and having enough Thermal Protection so the speaker never has to worry about overheating.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    jlott likes this.
  11. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My Tone King Sky King came stock with the AlNiCo Creamback and to my ears it sits at or near the top of the heap when compared with the alnico Gold or Weber's alnico Silver Bell (love it).What really sounds good is pairing the Creamback with the Bell or the Gold in Sky King external speaker jack: gives me the giggles. 'bout 15 years ago when I bought the previously mentioned speakers I also tried a ToneTubby alnico lite dope non-hemp or some such thing that I couldn't punt down the field fast enough. I never found it but would swear that they included a free built in wet blanket covering the cone. Sounded like a tweed anything with the tone on zero. Just my take on it.

jlott and mabley123 like this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I also have creamback65,cream90 and gold. Love them.
    I love mix and match ceramic and alnico in 2x speakers cabs.

MickM and jlott like this.
  13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I have a Jensen Stealth 80 NEO and an old Celestion G12-80 Rola (from the late 70's) in my '71 SFTR. This combination is working great for me. Clean, big sound with lots of attitude.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    jlott likes this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a Creamback 65 and an Eminence 1258 in my high power tweed ('58) Twin and loved the mix. But, decided I wanted to shave a few pounds off... So, I switched it over to a Neo Creamback and a neo Jensen 12-100. The new combo is a touch less efficient, but very similar in tone. It's a great combo and I couldn't be happier!

I love Celestions with my Fenders.

jlott likes this.
  15. jlott

jlott Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. Guess I'm gonna try some celestions in the Twin.

WireLine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.