Celebrated Guitarist Models, The Hype, The Mystery of it all.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
My beef with artist models is that they don't always replicate the instrument that they made famous; they are generally new designs made to the artists' custom specs. This is why we have things like a Jimmy Page Les Paul that was patterned after his The Firm era guitar...... or a Billy Corgan strat that is not even close to what he did all those albums with.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
I wish I had the Country Gentlemen (Chet Atkins).

20B69081-7660-4073-B574-0E06004C0EF3.jpeg

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn’t buy a guitar because of the name on the headstock, but I wouldn’t NOT buy one because of the name on the headstock. One is no smarter than the other.

I have a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III, but that’s like not having a name on the headstock because so few people even know who the **** he is. I had a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass because neck was so comfortable. I had a Gibson BB King just because I liked the guitar.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
There have been so many models of guitars sold as artist models thru time, and to what end?
The DEAD Jerry model got me thinking, Why? Pick your favorite guitar player, Does she or he
have a model of guitar named after the and built to there specifications?
I know that at my skill level, owning a B.B King, Robert Smith, Howard Roberts model wouldn't do anything to help improve my technique as a player , an Eric Clapton Strat, or a Buddy Guy Strat would sound the same in my hands. Smushing a Slash label on and Epiphone Les Paul just raised the price $
The instrument makers produce them because people buy them. There’s a market. As for why people buy them? Lots of reasons. They have an emotional connection to their fav guitarists and the guitars themselves are a part of that connection, an extension of the musician and the music. The artist models appeal to that connection; they create a tangible link between the buyer and the artist.

And not everyone realizes that it won’t make them sound like that artist on an intellectual level.

And there is a cool factor to owning a facsimile of an iconic guitar.

Not that much mystery to it. Some people have more money to throw around and a higher tolerance for parting with it than others. I’m not one of them, but they’re out there. And as long as they are, Fender and others will keep selling artist models.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve had four signature models, one I still play almost daily. Each of them were nice guitars and my purchase had nothing to do with the player.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've never yet owned a sig model but have liked several that I've tried (EJ Strat, Billy Corgan and Reeves Gabrels Revs, Brad P Tele etc.) and certainly have no qualms about owning one just cause it' a sig. Whatever feels good in the hands and is affordable at the time!

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well, I have my Old Black (Neil Young)…
View attachment 1021488
And my Hoss (Muddy Waters)….
View attachment 1021487

and I’m Happy!
Two great ones there! Neil's has a bit less paint these days, and at a show in the 90's we watched him pour hot wax from a big candle on it and drag it around the stage by the broken strings argh!! Wild to watch but had a feeling inside going Neil noooooo stop! haha

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
(2) YJM Stratocasters
(1) JS2400 Satriani signature Ibanez
(1) E-gen EG-18 Herman Li signature Ibanez
(23) Iterations of Vai’s various Ibanez signature guitars.
ALL my other 28 guitars are all non-artist models 😁

All Kidding aside, playing, buying, selling/trading and, occasionally making guitars makes me happy. I consider them my reward for a whole lot of hard work. To each their own.