Cedar build- Starting at the tree.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Durk, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Durk,
    We lost a really good friend here (Glenn Smith) a while back. He destroyed his lungs building cedar and walnut canoes. Please go out and buy a really good dust mask.
    Rob

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

My parents used to own a flower shop. It was a family business for a couple of generations. The main store had this garage-like outbuilding. One year in the 1990s, arounf Chrtistmas time, I stopped by the store. They were storing all of their evergreens out in the outbuilding, stuff like wreaths and pine garland, and so on. My dad had me go out an grab some of the wreaths they he needed.

I opened that garage door and that cedar / pine / fur smell hit me like a wall of vapors. It still stick in my memory to this very day.

My father-in-law did a fair share of cutting up pine that he was milling for his house. That it is amazing how log, and how pronounced the scent of recently milled pine and cedar sticks around long after it is dried. But man, milling pine was the thing I liked to most mainly because of the smell the tree gave off. Nothing quite like it, really.

Durk likes this.
  3. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I have been looking at them all day. I should be ordering a few tomorrow to see which one fits me the best. Thanks for the concern!

Barncaster likes this.
  4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I stuck my cedar slabs with my moisture probe, them is ready. So I have been motivated to cut into them due to this thread. As soon as I get all the ones ready to be glued up ready to route.

Durk likes this.
  5. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Cedar is a pretty dry wood to begin with. It doesn't take that much to dry it out enough. I have never built a cedar guitar but this interests me.

6. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

For one reason or another, I've got a lot of yellow cedar around. I am enchanted by its color, smell, and feel. Enough for four bodies and a couple necks.

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Sadly a lot of long-term woodworkers end up suffering from some pretty serious breathing issues later in life. It's easy to write off breathing protection because woodworking seems like a pretty "safe" hobby aside from spinning sharp things. The truth is that a lot of woods (exotics and domestics!) are known sensitizers, irritants or can even promote infection (like wenge splinters.) I'm thoroughly guilty of sanding without breathing protection, but over the past year I've been trying really hard to be mindful of breathing protection. That's why I want one of those nice RZ masks I mentioned earlier, although there are a few other brands too.

I have a recent personal interaction (and reaction) with red cedar. A few months back I built a Nicholson-style workbench with a shallow tool tray at the back. I decided to use a cedar fence picket for the bottom of the tool tray because they're only like $2 at Home Depot and the size was nearly perfect. It was a rough cedar picket though, so I knew I'd have to take a plane to it to flatten and smooth it; no big deal, it saved me a few bucks and only took about ten minutes to clean up. I got a bunch of shavings and dust on me and my forearms ended up itching like crazy for a few hours after; they were also noticeably red and clearly unhappy about something. I pretty much wrote off working with cedar ever again after that unless I'm well covered up! I've had some minor reactions to exotics (rosewood mostly), but those were mostly just a runny nose and dry eyes; that cedar really drove me up the wall though, and it reminded me to pay attention to PPE stuff when it comes to woodworking.

I also inadvertently sensitized myself to CA after using it to seal a body. Turns out that "Prolonged exposure may cause flu-like symptoms" warning isn't just printed on there for fun, and I ended up feeling like I had a weird head cold for a couple days. Now every single time I use CA (which is a lot), I start feeling that way after just a minute or two and have to get some fresh air.

One of the best parts of building my workbench was the smell of Douglas fir after I took a plane to it. My whole apartment smelled like Xmas trees! It reminded me of the trees my grandpa would get when I was little, they always had to be Doug fir because my grandma loved the smell so much.

Durk likes this.
  8. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I didn't know if I had just been lucky or what the deal was. Both cedar trees I have harvested were pretty dry when I got them.

9. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

I built a Lindal cedar home for someone 30 or so years ago. All the framing, siding, windows, doors, everything was cedar. It took years before I could stand the smell of cedar, and even now that house comes to mind whenever I use some.

Durk likes this.
  10. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

These are some of the smaller pieces that were above where the trunk split.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DonM, mrz80 and lbridenstine like this.
  11. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

16938860_1321235461292492_7410911392344896817_n.jpg So I finally got some time to jump back on this project. I started at 11 this morning and was able to get the body mostly done, except for the roundover and drilling the string thru holes. I ended up going with the swinger body style but I am incorporating the tele bridge. The neck is a Spanish cedar neck I built a while back. Maybe I can start spraying some finish tomorrow.

Cheap Trills, DonM, DrASATele and 3 others like this.
  12. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

So I ended up using a flamed maple top on this thing. What do you guys think? 1490929300913.jpg 1490929310697.jpg

13. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

14. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I will be using Valspar clear Lacquer.

Daniel94 likes this.
  15. HairyChapter

HairyChapter TDPRI Member

That top and that bodyshape would look stunning with an unusual burst.. Like green/yellow or blue/purple..

Daniel94, Durk and robt57 like this.
  16. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I just shot some lacquer earlier. Starting to look nice.

1491105082805.jpg 1491105087921.jpg

17. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Talk about building from scratch! :cool:

I've discovered that our local Lowe's has cedar 2x lumber. A cedar build is definitely going on the list.

Durk likes this.
  18. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

Got the body wet sanded and buffed today. Also finished up the neck. Almost time for assembly.

1491710553097.jpg 1491710558121.jpg 1491710562924.jpg

Barncaster and DonM like this.
  19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Love that top

Durk likes this.
  20. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! That's looking great!

Durk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.