1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CDs.... WTH!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Nov 17, 2020.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Got an old Expedition for pulling the camper and Menards, but it's got aholt of my new Fred Eaglesmith. I agree with Boreas: I'm going in.

Boreas likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Got news for you. If something happens catastrophic on the east coast, it won't matter if it takes out the west coast too cause your world might not include musical enjoyment to any degree. Sorta like building nuclear shelters, if you want to come out and see an aftermath of nothing.

3. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had several CDs eaten over the years, but every unit that ate them met a violent demise! This habit started with my car cassette players.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Same here, on all your points. Do not remember them ever being touted as indestructible.

Bought the first portable SONY player in Fall of '85. Seems like most discs available back then were made by Philips in W. Germany. US production of discs didn't start until a few years later.

[​IMG]

TheGoodTexan and Boreas like this.
  5. Boreas

Given the bazillions of CDs that are in circulation, I am surprised an audio manufacturer or two haven't developed new player technology that has the ability to read many damaged CDs. At the same time they could go back to using audiophile quality digital-analog converters. Since data storage is cheap, the unit could also behave like a DVR - it would read the old CD, store it in memory, then go in and repair read inconsistencies based on varying algorithms, then burn it to a proper CD that can be read on legacy players. It might not rejuvenate data on every CD, but could extend a very popular format.

Even better would be something that could repair the damage ON the bad CD, but that isn't likely.

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

yeah, that was how they were marketed at first (before being on sale) but it was clearly nonsense. When I first saw them on a TV programme they said you could spread jam all over them and they would still play, they claimed they would be impossible to scratch or make them skip ... and all this kind of bollocks. I don't know if it was just hype-nonsense or they could have made them like that but decided not to.

trancedental and Boreas like this.
  7. Boreas

I believe my first CD was Ry Cooder's Bop Til You Drop. It was one of the first CDs widely available in the US.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

The recommendation above for something like toothpaste or Flitz is a good one regarding "repairs".

9. Boreas

I don't recall them being hyped like that in the US. If it was, I didn't believe it.

10. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Flash is just a variety of EEPROM. Cheaper because it all gets erased at once instead of bit at a time like EEPROM. The FPGAs I use are flash that gets copied copied to SRAM on boot.

I now use NAS with RAID so I can know when a drive is going bad. And other physical backup.

There are services that can microscopically scan optical discs and reconstruct most of the contents, depending on damage

11. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Wow!

Lots of info! Thanks!

My issue is with ripping brand new cds. I actually never "play" the cd but rip and store.

I use dBPoweramp which verifies the rip and rarely have an error that is not specific to a certain track. I guess if a track is a certain percentage off from the standard it's not verified. Still ripped though and usually second rip is verified.

My DVD player does similar. Oddly some that look worse will play fine but those with maybe a small smudge never able to correct even if cleaned off...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.