1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CBS Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by balston11, Apr 29, 2021.

1. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I had a factory Bigsby Tele with a Rosewood neck, I'm sure it wasn't the only one made, but they seem to be much less common.

2. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Okay so to summarise
    Need to include Bigsby models all info appreciated
    Need to write up body shape changes people have provided the info
    Need to sort out deluxe radius which may be difficult
    Pretty busy for the next couple of days but I will get to it

Hari Seldon likes this.
  3. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

I have tried to find definite information on the radius of the Deluxe. It is obvious now that it's not 7.25" but whether its 9.5" or 12" I cannot say for definite so unless someone here can tell us for certain it will remain unknown although I may get an email from a visitor to my website I do get a few a week.

4. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Hari Seldon likes this.
  5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Didn't see if you included this detail, but some, or maybe all '69 Tele's had unpotted pickups.

6. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

Good work. I would also add that the Paisley thing was discussed on the vintage forum. It was not wallpaper, but it was actually a product called "Cling-Foil" made by Borden.

See: https://www.wellstrungguitars.com/blogs/well-strung-guitars-blog/fenders-summer-of-love

Also, I did not see (I might have missed it) mention of the notch at the neck during the cbs years which may be as a result of the changes to the body Shultz was referencing.

[​IMG]

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/notched-vs-un-notched-body.887603/

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

But that's exactly what were discussing here.

I wouldn't call that small radiused curve a notch, because it follows beautifully the line of the upper shoulder of the tele body. It's not an independent feature at the outline of the body.

8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

As mentioned, 59-72 had a ‘Custom telecaster’ and 72-81 a ‘Telecaster Custom’. The ‘Telecaster Deluxe’ (as opposed to Deluxe Tele - later model) had a 9.5” radius, measured from my ‘73. I didn’t see a mention of the 68 (or was it 67?) ‘smuggler’ route Teles.

Good page!

9. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Interesting I took the infromation from Premier Guitar
    https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/1968-69-paisley-red-blue-flower-fender-telecasters
    I guess it depends what you mean by "wallpaper" after all you have a wallpaper on your computer it's not paper. Nevertheless your point is good and I will clarify the material used for completeness.
    Thank you.

10. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

1967 I think yes I should perhaps mention the smugglers as a variation will do.

11. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Okay now done everything except the Bigsby reordered and tidied up the page so it looks a bit better. Appreciate the help I am getting from this forum thanks all.

12. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

The Deluxe also had different sealed tuners and fatter frets.

There were two generations of F tuners,changing around 76...the post Kluson were by Race and Olmstead,Leos longstanding tool and diemakers,the later by Schaller....the same diecast internals are found on Schallers supplied to Gibson and some with Kluson shaped buttons on Rickies as well...

The headstock shapes and decal positioning were inconsistent.....in fact if you ever get a bunch of them together you'll find the thickness as well as the shape varies...my 69 has a very blunt,tough outline and is the thickest I have...my 75 Thinline has a very graceful, delicate 50's shape thats much thinner as well.Obviously still a lot of hands on work on the necks.

The headstock had a spray of nitro,the well known issues with the decal,its not the board or back of the neck but the body still got a final coat,maybe more, of nitro after the poly sealer/colour probably easier to buff....I reckon this is the furniture grade stuff,super thin,incredibly fast drying and very hard,not the gooey gunk thats sold for amateur guitar work these days...this combined with heavy smoking at the time explains the often spectacular clear to white to cream to yellow to orange some 70's Strats and Teles exhibit with a combination of abrasion and absorbtion of sweat and nicotine....think Walter Trout's Strat..

The last CBS "standards" as we might call them had vastly improved and effective shielding.....under the finish of the routs,and nothing like the black gunk on modern imports....earthed,braided leads and foil on the whole pickguard back....odd that they went to so much trouble to do a revision so close to the end..S8 models when they used the same date for the last few years...

Body shapes were changing even before they stopped using the templates....the top shoulder was getting less distinct and the notch getting smaller...The later bodies seem to be slightly different in shape overall,not just the notch and shoulders.Body thickness varied too,esp and understandably with the cut and shut Thinlines.

Then the curious case of the many 69 teles with pearloid on the reverse of the pickguard...afaik never really explained...69 also the year when heels have no year date,just a green stamp though it may have been decoded...

"standard" Teles kept the 4 screw neck join as they were towards the bottom of Fenders food chain at the time....along with low sales Jags and Jazzmasters,student Broncos and Mustangs etc.The 4 screw one bolt;) neck was for premium instruments..Strat,Thinline,Custom,Deluxe...so they benefitted in modern eyes from their bread and butter status though oddly I've come across far fewer issues with the Teles and Basses that had the tilt-neck than with Strats...

13. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Finished as much as I can think of doing for now. If anyone has anything to add please let me know and we have a worthwhile reference resource.
    Next the post CBS Teles I already have the Strats of that period done any help in the same format as the Strat pages for the Teles much appreciated.
    I will start soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.