1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CBS Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by balston11, Apr 29, 2021.

1. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

I have completed the first draft of my CBS tele pages on the website. I would really appreciate any help from the experts in any corrections additions omissions extra information etc. You can't get it via my menu only by the link below I wanted to get the forums opinions before publishing it fully Thanks all
    Link is https://www.alston-family.co.uk/CBST/CBST.php

Fiesta Red, Kloun, Martian and 14 others like this.
  2. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

Nice big pics! Good work.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t speak for the accuracy, but that’s great work and super helpful for people trying to figure out what they have or is on offer.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The "Bridge 3 brass saddle telecaster" description for 1965+ telecaster is wrong, until 1966 they had threaded steel and from 67 slotted steel saddles.

5. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Exactly the sort of thing I need I will alter soon

Tommy Biggs, BuckSatan and Nick Fanis like this.
  6. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing this it was nice to read through. The part that's hard for me is that you are asking for nit picking and I don't like doing that because it detracts from the greater work! But as this was your request:

I am not so much a specs guy from year to year but had some random thoughts:

1) Telecaster Custom - One of the things I always stress is that when it's V1 the headstock originally said "Custom Telecaster" whereas for V2 it was "Telecaster Custom". What I learned today is that perhaps by the time of CBS Fender had dropped "custom" in v1, so for purposes of your work, the starting point is just "Telecaster" but with v1 Custom Telecaster features. Also, should it be mentioned that the V2 had a contoured waist like the Strat?

2) Telecaster Deluxe? - I expect your thinking was that since the Custom Telecaster (and v1 Thinline for that matter) was by and large a Telecaster that required discussion of V2 Tele Custom (and Thinline).

3) Nitro to Poly c. 1968 - To me this is the dividing line between CBS and pre CBS Fender more than the F on the neck plate. I reckon you don't mention these sorts of changes because they are not unique to the Telecaster but were across the board on all models?

4) The moving of the serial number from the neckplate to the headstock is pretty significant to me at least, and you mention it in a photo caption. I might suggest mentioning that in the specs changes listings. Also is it worth mentioning the appearance of the black gasket under the plate circa 1975/6?

Finally the thematic point, I actually like CBS Fender. These days you see all these reinterpretations of classic models by the big companies so it looks like something new is being offered. Fender was kind of the first company I know of to reinterpret their own model with the Thinline, Custom, etc. I like them all and the wide range humbucker and Filtertron are the best humbuckers ever made IMHO.

Thanks also for bringing back a memory of guitar awareness. One of my earliest guitar memories is staring at a bowling ball finish Fender in a shop window when they came out.

tattypicker, monkeybanana and rze99 like this.
  7. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

@knavel
    Thanks I will incorporate what you have said that's the point of putting it on the forum really

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 73 CBS Telecaster and it was fine. Friends had Stratocasters from the same era that were/are still great.

9. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

@knavel Just read again what you said the deluxe is in my notes but missed from the pages. I will remedy that but may take a little while

10. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Great.

After I posted I also remembered the Telecasters with B-5 Bigsbys that had the F logo starting around 1968. The factory ones didn't have the string through body.

11. douellette

douellette TDPRI Member

This all looks great! I appreciate the work you've done compiling this all in one place. My profile picture has my 1973 Tele, which I really love.

In your section on the 1972 Tele Custom you explain that the CuNiFe pickups aren't being made anymore, but of course Fender just started producing them again (along with a few smaller builders).

Again, great work and thanks!

12. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Deluxe now added

13. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Didn't know that thanks for the info

douellette likes this.
  14. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

fairly nit picky, but the first thing I noticed is the tab in my brower is called "CBS Era Strats" I know you were looking for guitar knowledge really and it's under contruction, but just incase you missed it!

15. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

I hadn't noticed that it's because I used my CBS strats page as a template. Now corrected thanks

16. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

OK, I'll take a quick shot at it:

Capitalize first letter in sentence. Possessive “its” doesn’t take apostophe.

“it had had relatively minor changes in it's previous”

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

some Ash with Blonde and Natural colors

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nut 1.625" but at times other widths were available as custom orders but are rare.

(and 1-11/16” would be heel stamped C instead of B) Might have been some A narrower nuts.

“he really didn't like it that much^It was made from 1969 to 1972”

needs period

Might want to capitalize all “strat” mentions

17. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I just wanted to say I enjoyed the read and it had a few things in I didn't know about, which don't seem to come up on wiki etc. So great work.

Although, the bowling ball tele might be the worst thing I've ever seen, and without you I may never of heard of it!

balston11 likes this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Interesting. Nice work.
    I have a 86 tele 52. I thought they only started reissues in 85. I am usually wrong about a lot of things.

19. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Yes the most highly sought after and highly priced Strat reissues are those from Fullerton in the early 80s

20. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Not exactly what I meant but thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.