1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CBGB Movie - 2013

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jan 22, 2014.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Did anyone see it? I just bought a copy and truly enjoyed the "historical" story of Hilly Kristal played by Alan Rickman (Severus Snape - Harry Potter). I'm not sure how accurate the story is but seeing actors portray Television, The Dead Boys, Lou Reed, Debbie Harry, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, The Ramones, The Police, The Talking Heads and others was great fun.

I walked past the club about a decade ago. It was all boarded up at the time. I stood on the sidewalk and looked around like a goofy tourist. I'm glad that I did so. It was an important place.

Good flick. Fun.

[​IMG]

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

havent seen it...will see it sometime

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Didn't even know about it, but that's the kind of movie that I will buy on Blue-Ray without worrying about revues. Love me some good music history.

4. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i'd love to see it, but i have yet to. i know a few musicians have said that the memory of CBGB's is a little more pleasant than the reality; i saw a recent interview with Doyle (from the Misfits) and he said it was pretty disgusting inside and he "wouldn't even let my dogs take a ---- in that place". i remember someone else (maybe Debbie Harry) say it was kinda like one big men's room that happened to have a stage.:lol:

can't deny the history though, and all the great bands that came out of it. plus i'm really interested to see Rickman as Hilly, so it should be pretty good. i should check Hulu or Amazon and see if it's available for streaming.

5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with the thought that the memory is a little more pleasant than the reality of CB's, but we're talking about the birthplace of punk in NYC so a little revulsion is to be expected.

I went to see a buddy who played there a few times before it closed, and it definitely warranted the need for a tetanus shot after each show, but in a good way. Lol.

6. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Played there once to three people: my girlfriend, the guy who was on after me and his girlfriend. I still have a soundboard tape of the gig. Happy days!

7. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to see the movie. I saw a trailer from it awhile back and thought it looked like a good movie to see. Something I did not know and was said in the trailer is that the CBGB in the club name stood for country, bluegrass,and blues.

8. studio1087

The portrayal of Hilly as a poor business person but a very decent human being was interesting. He's like steady stubborn rock with a storm blowing around him.

Like I said, I don't know fact from fiction in the various scenes but the movie is entertaining.

Spoiler - The Ramones come in for the first time because the want to play for people and Joey speaks to Hilly and explains that they have 4 songs. Joey names the songs (all about things he hates) and the names for each song are almost identical. It's charming in the strangest way. Hilly suggests that they work a positive song about something they like and Joey tells Hilly that they're working on a new song......"I wanna sniff some glue".

I was smiling.

It's a special movie - cost me $9 brand new. Go get a copy.

9. Brad Pittiful

[​IMG]

yes cbgb stood for - country bluegrass and blues

and omfug stood for - other music for uplifting gormandizers

10. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I've been really wanting to catch this. Thanks for the reminder!

I seen the Hellacopters at CB's and left covered in beer and feeling filthy - my favorite memory of it. If you played there in its later days you needed to hire someone to sit in the van before or after load in otherwise your gear would be knicked!

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+ +

12. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Played there numerous times - always loved the sound. I lived nearby, so the bathroom (yeesh) was never a concern.

13. Brad Pittiful

[​IMG]

whats wrong with it...there is always plenty to read

14. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

I am planning on getting it. Need to see how Ron Weasley does as Cheetah Chrome.

15. studio1087

:eek:

That was Ron Weasley! I never connected the dots while watching the movie. Wow. Thankyou. I looked at Cheetah several times and I thought he looked familiar. Ron Weasley and Severas Snape.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I was there in '81. What a dump!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.