1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CBD Oil? Or Snake Oil?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I don't mean to offend anyone...if it works for you than more power to you. I'm just a dumb meathead giving some broscience.

P Thought likes this.
  2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't mean this to be argumentative... In fact I'm looking for information from each side of the coin. With that said, for those who are saying CBD is snake oil, what leads you to say that? Personal experience? An acquaintance who had no results? Published journal articles? Medical professional's advice? Something else?

I said earlier that I got results, but am I fooling myself? I really do want to hear your input.

JuneauMike and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Buddy o mine recently started taking it for anxiousness and work related injury.
    He’s never been happier imo.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my mil has parkinson's and has a terrible time sleeping and often just shuffles and paces and is nervous... I got her some cbd sodas (at her request) the goal was that drinking the soda would calm and soothe her... she was concerned about it, but wanted to do it. So, we split a can... within a little while... I felt relaxed and calm and was surprised and pleased.

My mother in law reported that she did not like the effect of the drink as it made her sleep and just kind of 'relaxed'....

I nodded and smiled and kept the rest for myself...

There is a lot going on in the emerging market, probably some very good companies and some not so good... so, the reported results may be scattered... but maybe not more than, say, flonase which some of my friends say has make their lives MUCH better (for treating allergies) where for me, it made me ill.

one size does not fit all... and, yes, I'd note that the results my MIL wanted, she got, and yet, she did not like the effect. That is because she is kind of disagreeable to almost everything... but, the sodas help me listen to her disconcert!

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

A friend's daycare provider has a kid with birth defect issues that caused serious seizures. CBD has been very effective.

william tele likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Some research is slowly emerging. But like all health and medical fads, a lot of money will be spent and earned, based largely on anecdotal data, before the dust settles and any useful info appears.

Results on childhood seizure disorders is the most promising, IMO. In part, because that’s not a population and disorder that is very susceptible to response to placebo.

Anxiety, OTOH, by definition, would be the most susceptible to response to placebo. Good to remember, considering the financial cost of CBD treatment, as well as the medical and psychological risks of long term benzodiazepine treatment.

That’s all I’m gonna say on that.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  7. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

I use a topical CDB balm called Dragons Blend for joint pain at the elbow, fingers and shoulder, works really well.

8. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I didn't notice it doing much for pain, but it seems to help with my anxiety and depression. It relaxes me so I can get to sleep.

Bones likes this.
  9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Was recently in Colorado and tried some of the CBD oil, didn't work for me. Had some buddies with me who swore by it. I don't know if its psychosomatic or what. Now IMHOP, THC is the real deal medically speaking. Ok, just sayin....

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

IMHO, The rules are written in pencil around here,,,

Bones likes this.
  11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Every day for back pain after 30+ years of moving amp & dimmer racks. It works for me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The thing to understand is that CBD, just like THC, has varying effects on people's physiology. Some people feel no, or very little effect, while others have a very pronounced effect. My wife and I both experience a calming, relaxing effect, and sleep better on CBD. My wife has fibromyalgia and it mitigates the pain somewhat. Some of our friends and family have tried it and felt nothing.
    Your experience will depend on your tolerance level and body reaction.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm honestly without a strong opinion on CBD, I'm very willing to try it, particularly for my poor sleeping. Also, I'm NOT making any judgement on your results....if something works for you that's great.
    But I have to say, that it's been pretty well proven that the placebo effect (of ALMOST anything) can be very effective. That's why when any drug or treatment is being evaluated, they have to use double-blind groups with some people NOT getting the treatment, just to assure accurate results. In some cases, the group getting a placebo has as good, if not better, outcomes.
    For those who are happy with their CBD results, I say more power to you....as long as there are no dangerous side effects, the only downside might be to your pocketbook.
    EDIT....see Mike H's post above. I agree 100%.

JuneauMike and geoff_in_nc like this.
  14. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree, placebo effect can be strong, which is why I want to question whether my "scientific sample of 1" is skewed. The stuff is expensive enough that I don't want to waste $$ if it's bogus. So far I think it's real, but I'm open to other opinions.

JuneauMike and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have an older dog on the CBD oil for panic attacks and seems to help but nothing dramatic. As someone said above...kinda like aspirin. As far as "the other" being more effective...hmmm, I'd have to say that it's...errr...What was the original question?...Did you see my glasses?..."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Texicaster and nojazzhere like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

And who ate the last of the chips and brownies!???? ;)

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Yea I was curious for my dog too!

My bit of research there claimed not enough studies so hold off. Local vet no opinion so far.

Well sounds like it could be worth a $50 gamble.....

Any links to legit studies or resources with pros and cons?

Thanks,

TEX

Greggorios likes this.
  18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes...I've seen a lifetime of the placebo effect, confirmation bias and outright denial of facts. As long as no one gets hurt, no one else's rights are infringed and it's legal, then how ever the relief comes seems OK. But I certainly agree that your own body chemistry etc. probably does play a big part.

I think that research will catch up and be able to pin point more closely the mechanisms that represent effective treatment and those that may be just a placebo reaction.

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve used it, for help in sleeping, pain relief and relaxation.

No buzz, no high. I don’t want those effects.

Helps greatly for relaxation and deeper/quicker sleep. It made me drowsy if I was sitting still, but not groggy if I kept on moving. (That’s a good thing).

Helps pretty well for some chronic arthritis pain I’ve dealt with off and on for several years.

william tele, JuneauMike and D_Malone like this.
  20. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey everyone,

We're going to close this thread. Those of you who still desire to have a conversation about this can start a private "thread" using the inbox/conversation feature of the website. And actually, you can add as many people as you want to it. It's kind of a good feature for this type of discussion actually, and I don't think many people here take advantage of it. You just start a new PM like you would any other private message, but you can add any number of people to it. The only disadvantage is that you can't quote one another or Like message.

-TGT

JuneauMike and P Thought like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.