CBD Oil? Or Snake Oil?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have not used it. But the wife of a very good friend had experience. She has a debilitating disease that caused her chronic and incessant pain in her joints. I wish I could tell you what that disease iss, but all this was related to me in Dutch a few years ago, and at the time I never thought to try to translate the name of her condition. Anyway, she had suffered badly for a long time, and she had aged visibly far beyond her years. She had tried many medicines, the Dutch health-care system is pretty generous about that. But none gave her any real relief. Until she tried CBD. She swore by it, and said it was the best thing that ever happened for her. Last time we saw her she looked 20 years younger, and she walked and moved to match this impression.

drlucky likes this.
  2. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I work in a pain management office where we prescribe medical marijuana. Given a choice between thc or cbd the patient will always choose thc and go through the expense and process to get a medical card. This is just my opinion, once marijuana becomes completely legalized people won't care about cbd. Cbd is like odouls beer...you can fool yourself that it taste like beer, but it does nothing.

kingofdogs1950 and watercaster like this.
  3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I use the oil at night when I get headaches or just feel otherwise blah. The variety I have uses avocado oil as the carrier and it tastes horrific, but it works. The type of relief is hard to describe. I remember one night with a particularly bad headache combined with nausea. I woke up to get a drink of water and noticed that my brain was registering the pain and nausea, but they were not bothersome at all. The only metaphor I can think to use is that my ailments were shooting blanks.

william tele likes this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Ha. More terrible, terrible advice from John Lennon.

Awesome artist.
    Worst life coach ever.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Texicaster likes this.
  5. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

CBD is today's 19th century medicinal alcohol. Snake Oil.

6. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can remember when Aloe Vera was the magical wonder-plant that cured everything.

That must have been ten 'magical wonder-plant' fads ago.

7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I have chronic pain. Pain that isn’t going away. My pancreatic cancer spread to 2 lymph nodes against my spine. The swelling causes severe pain. I take morphine and Oxy for the pain. I tried CBD oil by its of and it did NOTHING for the pain. However in conjunction with the morphine the CBD oil cut my morphine use in half. It also lowered my heart rate back to normal levels.

My insurance doesn’t pay for CBD oil even though it saves them a few hundred dollars a day. That’s ok. I can cover the $60 a month it takes to be clearer headed than I would be otherwise.

Only you can decide if it does anything for you !

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’ve been using CBD oil for about 4 months now.
    I do feel better (in a non specific way), am sleeping better, have noticed less pain in my old knees, it seems be helping my BP, & I seem mellower.
    I did some research before I started and feel fairly knowledgeable. My Dr has no objections so I continue on

We’ve been giving our old dog a gummy every once in a while when her osteoarthritis acts up. She responds very well to it.

I thought about starting a thread about this but wasn’t sure if it would fly or not

william tele and Bones like this.
  9. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I use it for anxiety, it works for me. You want to make sure you get a brand that is independently lab tested for CBD content and don't confuse it with hemp oil, which contains no actual CBD. There are a handful of studies supporting its use for some purposes, including anxiety, but they indicate its effectiveness follows a bell curve, meaning after a certain point, higher doses are less effective, so it takes a little experimenting to find what works for you.

I don't take supplements or generally believe in health food store snake oil, but I am convinced CBD is effective and I will continue to use it.

william tele, nojazzhere and Bones like this.
  10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, the stuff sold on Amazon doesn't contain any CBD. Amazon only allows the sale of hemp oil, which is made from a different part of the plant that contains no CBD. Supposedly they are waiting on further clarification of the legal status of CBD products before they will allow it to be sold.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You're absolutely right.....I just looked at the label, (no CBD mentioned) then Googled both, and hemp oil contains no CBD. I'm pretty sure I searched CBD when I went on Amazon, and then didn't think more about it. Thanks for the heads up!.

Nickfl likes this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Since it's all pretty much unregulated, nobody knows anything about dosage. If it states a dosage, that's just somebody's recommendation. So, you're on your own as far as dosage is concerned. I have heard a lot of criticism of edibles (2 day highs etc.), but again, there really isn't any solid info or research to guide you. Best way to go is to get on a message board with active CBD users and compare notes.

13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I see plenty of CBD consumers at the dispensaries around here and many of them are strictly CBD fans who don't use cannabis for recreation.

stevemc likes this.
  14. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

I spend about $2000 over six months to ascertain first hand experience.
    I'm back to 2 Acetaminophen and 3 Ibuprofen

CBD for me was not as good as Ibuprofen for pain.
    CBD did not tear up my stomach and throat like the acid from Ibuprofen.

If it works for folks, good... for me it was more expensive and not as good.

15. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

CBD oil works well, for me, for pain relief. Never tried snake oil.

Nubs likes this.
  16. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I strongly disagree with you. I am a CBD user and have tried THC as well. CBD works to control my joint pain and I didn't find THC all that helpful except for the psychoactive effects. I can't function while high, so CBD is very good for me. CBD isn't supposed to get you high.

nojazzhere, Manual Slim and Bones like this.
  17. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

I have bad knees, bad back, torn shoulder from a bad fall ten years ago and have difficulty falling asleep. I saw on TV (60 Minutes I believe) about three weeks ago or so this segment about CBD. It was mostly about Green Roads Pharma Co. touting their products. So intrigued I sent them 100 clams for a start up package to check it out. A week later it arrived containing 7 daily doses of their 350mg strength dispensers each @ 23mg of oil. A couple of ten mg gummies and some other gummies related to pain relief. All products came in nice packaging looking very medicinal. I tried all of what they sent me and felt no pain relief, no sleep aid or feelings of well being. 100 bucks wasted on snake oil. Will stick to old school method...it's way cheaper.

18. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

CBD oil is much easier to get. Snakes object to being sqwoze.

nojazzhere and colnago like this.
  19. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

I've been using CBD for a few months to try to relieve the pain of arthritis in my thumbs and currently the pain is significantly reduced. However the pain was bad in the winter when it was cold and damp, it's now summer so warmer and drier so I don't know. Must say it's stupidly expensive.

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried a half dozen CBD vape cartridges. Four did absolutely nothing at all (I think one was water, no color or taste), and two did something - just a slight something that takes the edge off. Helped me get to sleep too - I've had insomnia for like 35 years now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.