CB radio through amp

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by guitarguy1964, Dec 1, 2019.

1. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

I just bought a used Fender Prosonic amp. I've been playing it in the music room for a couple of days bon issues then yesterday I picked up a CB radio. I originally wrote it off as a fluke but it is happening again today. I caught it quickly and unplugged my pedalboard from the amp and it continued. Finally I figured out that it would go away by turning down the reverb. Maybe the tube? Any suggestions welcome!

2. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I would like to know what the cause is too. My Custom Vibrolux Reverb does this.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The issue here ... Cables... my guess ... They make excellent antennas ... Antennae, if we are being proper ...

4. guitarguy1964

No, it's not the cables. It does it with nothing plugged into the amp.

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Are you writing from 1974?

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a cb back in the early 80s and I can remember flirting with a girl on there one night and when I went to the kitchen my parents had been hearing everything through the fm radio that was switched on in the kitchen.:eek::oops:

7. guitarguy1964

Ha! Ha! That's what I was thinking too!

Dismalhead likes this.
  8. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

If it didnt happen before check anything you changed,Is your Pro Sonic two prong or three prong.Shielding and ground is your target.

guitarguy1964 likes this.
  9. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Breaker 1, 9er...Kick out the jams. We got a smokey on our tails.

10. guitarguy1964

I haven't changed anything but like I said I've only owned it a couple of days, It is a 3 prong.

I have an other idea, the footswitch is plugged in. I'm waiting for it to happen again so I can unplug it to see it that fixes it like turning the reverb down did.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

He may mean the reverb pan cables..?
    A tube is worth a try.
    Are you sure it's CB? I didn't even know that still exists. If anyone near you has a Ham radio, they will do that type of thing readily, more wattage than CB. Look for strange antennae on roof tops...

guitarguy1964 likes this.
  12. guitarguy1964

Yeah, I could have reacted too quickly about the cables. I'm now thinking it could be the cable to the footswitch. I'm waiting for it to happen again.

I'm not exactly sure what type of radio, he was talking about traffic conditions.

13. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

Something is acting as an antenna for the radio frequency emissions. Reverb pan cables may be the problem since you’ve narrowed the problem down to that part of the circuit. It’s frustrating because the source comes and goes. You can disconnect the tank and see if the problem goes away. Just cleaning the connections may be enough. Also clean the tube sockets. Corroded connections act as a “detector” which turns the RF energy into audio. Lots of trial and error involved. Good luck!

14. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

While they may not be responsive, you might try contacting Fender...they are aware of the phenomenon.

A story...

In 1995 I attended a Fender rep thing at a local music store showcasing the Vibro King. I thought I heard weirdness through it (police or fire band radio I think) and asked ...

The rep and I putzed around and sure enough, the reverb circuit was the culprit.

A year or so later, in another city, a similar event...different rep. I asked if 'they' had worked out the RF thing and his eyes glassed over. He looked at me like I was a space alien and asked me what I was talking about.

I reached over and cranked the reverb mix knob and bingo... "Smilin' Willy" of the CB trucker club is blasting out of their flagship amp.

I looked at the fellow and said "Guess not."

Moral of the story:
    They are aware of it

15. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Before we blame Fender, recall this can be user error.

You been playin' any David Allen Coe? Ya sure? How 'bout Jerry Reed? :)

schmee, corliss1, pixeljammer and 2 others like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.....have you looked around your neighborhood (not just close) for some kind of an antenna? Sounds like some operator is using an illegal linear amp with his CB or HAM radio. He's trying to talk across country, and may be coming through your amp, someone else's TV, and maybe even a microwave oven. Report it to the FCC, and listen to see if you can hear any particulars.
    That's a big 10-4, good buddy! ;)

17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like we got ourselves a convoy

18. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

CB is unlikely to cause the interference unless its very close. Amateur radio can, and will interact with consumer electronics - but not by design. However, looking for strange antennae on roof tops, towers in back yards, etc., may be an exercise in futility.

Consumer electronics, such as a Prosonic, or your TV, or your garage door opener, must "accept all interference" by law. Even worse.... if you're plasma TV is causing interference, it is the owners responsibility to correct. Put another way, amateur radio is controlled, licensed, regulated, and allowed to transmit. If your consumer electronics happen to "pickup up" that transmission, the HAM is doing nothing wrong. And, since you're not licensed to transmit, if your plasma TV (or other electronic gear) is causing harmful interference to a duly licensed radio station (aka HAM), you gotta stop that interference on your nickle.

Sounds rather sucky, but them's the rules.

Put another way, when I key up at 1500 watts on 40 or 80 meters, and garage doors start opening all up and down the block... that's the breaks.

schmee likes this.
  19. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

EMI/RFI...a frustrating issue that is sometimes hard to solve. Call Fender for a fix...if none, call the FCC for advice as mentioned above.

20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Wire a microphone into your amp and you can talk back to them ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.