Cavilier Fat Lion or Rio Grande Muy Grande

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bluetweed, Oct 23, 2015.

1. bluetweed

bluetweed TDPRI Member

I have a Fralin P92 in the neck with 7200 turns that just sounds amazing.
    Which one of these would you pick for the bridge. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

IDK anything about the Cavalier, but I've had the MG in my tele for 20 years. I love love love that pickup. It's almost like a P90... somewhere in-between a tele pickup and a P90. What tones are you after? If you play clean, I might look elsewhere, but any amount of dirt and the MG shines.

I really can't say enough about that pickup.

3. bluetweed

bluetweed TDPRI Member

I play clean but not chicken picking clean / I have another tele with a Don Mare 6.7K bridge for real clean
    This Tele is my blues, think BB or Allmans, Duane , Stormy Monday using a Manatone Red Snapper with a little grit and gain

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm not familiar with the, uh, Corpulant Kitty :rolleyes::lol:, but I love my Muy Grande.
    It's been my favorite T style bridge pickup for about 10 years.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Muy Grande is what the Texas Special WANTS to be... Texas. I actually had the Texas Specials in my tele, but the bridge was too nasally and thin, so I put the Muy Grande bridge in, and it mated perfectly with the Texas Special neck.

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I got a Fat lion in the bridge to match my Lollar CC in the neck.
    The CC is a strong warm pup and it needed something with more oomph to match
    The fat lion matches its output while retaining Tele ness.

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have had both in different teles. They are similar but do have their subtleties. Like them both. Currently have a Fat Lion mated with a Seymour Duncan Jazz in a G&L tribute Bluesboy and its just awesome. Its my blues and rock tele too. Very well balanced, with a great middle tone.

The Muy was brighter and a tad noisier but bold and ballsy. The Fat Lion is bold and ballsy but less noisy and less bright. But is sounds more like a telecaster IMO. And its cheaper. And Rob will basically custom wind it and have it to you in days after ordering, And his customer service is literally second to none.

8. davguitar

davguitar Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I am not familiar with the Cavalier but have the Muy Grande Tele bridge pickup. I'm thinking of putting it back in my guitar after I replaced it with a stacked humbucker that just doesn't have the punch I like in a Tele bridge pickup (it's not a DiMarzio Area but that's probably what I will try next). If you like a lot of top end sparkle, too, don't go with the Rio Grande. It has top end brightness but not exaggerated. I like a lot of punch and retention of the low end, too, and the Muy Grande has both and will really cut. It's fine for country or straight ahead rock tunes, IMO. The matching Rio neck pickup is reverse magnetic polarity to give you series humbucking with both pickups engaged.

9. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Same exact setup I have in my FSR BSB. Awesome combo!

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

11. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I installed an MG in a friends guitar. Sounded really good, clean as well as driven.

It is a bit darker but not middy like a TS.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a Muy Grande and have not kept it in any of the Teles I tried it in.
    Dark and powerful but not really anything special, I would try a Fat Lion.
    I do like a good snarling distorted Tele and personally feel there's more snarl to be had with a brighter pup, where the Muy Grande sounded a bit dull to me.
    For a high gain amp it might not matter as much as with a medium gain bluesy setup.

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'd be inclined to contact Fralin and see what they have for you, OTOH Rob can set you up too. Drop him a line.

14. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

I have had a MG tele neck pick for a long time it is fat and killer sounding.

15. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I've never used the Muy Grande so I can't comment there, but I do have a Fat Lion - the pickup sounds fantastic, and Rob is a great vendor to deal with. Based on that I'd recommend the Cavalier!

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using one on and off for a very long time as well. The Muy Grande is a very good pickup.

17. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Cavalier Pickups are fabulous. The Nashville Lion that is in my Tele sounds wonderful. Not too hot, not too cool.. Just right. Rob Di Stefano is a member here and has stellar reviews from other members here, who have ordered his pickups. He has a variety and will steer you right, imo.

18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

^^^^
    I concur. Cavaliers are AWESOME!
    The Fat Lion was my choice, at Robs recommendation. It's less twangy, less chimey, I love it!

19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Twin Lion (Fat/Nash) in my #1. I have often compared it a P90... Fantastic pups!! A SD Broadcaster would be a good match IMHO as well, or, and this is just crazy, a P90 in the bridge.. Mmmmm P90's...

https://soundcloud.com/4pickupguy

20. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

Thank you all for the responses! :)
    So far i think i like more of a broadcaster style sound with the alnico 3 mags for a more even sound but 'tamed high shrills'. Slightly hotter wind and clear bottom end grit/growl that i won't have to fight the guitar to get out. Narrowing it down to:
    Rumplestiltskins 1950 black rope or Don mare 0038 10k 'Keefer'
    Any thoughts?
    i couldn't possibly be disappointed with either id say.
    Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.