Cavalier Rod Magnet P90's in my Carved Top Tele

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I just put a set of Rob's rod magnet P90s in a scratch built Carved Top Tele I made 24 years ago. The pickups sound amazing!

I built the guitar with the idea of getting Les Paul tone from a Tele style guitar, and while it sounded good, it never really hit the mark. But now, it sounds the best it ever has. It sounds exactly like a Gibson Les Paul!

The note separation and clarity is astounding. And when I play the neck pickup, I get that signature Les Paul "woooooooo" sound that you just don't get from other guitars. Mahogany body, maple top, Cavalier Rod Magnet P90s. What a great sound!

I did some sound clips this morning and will share them here in a few days as soon as they're ready.

Thank you so much for making such an awesome pickup set. My carved top Tele just jumped to the top of the pile for playing opportunities.

Here's the guitar, although it now has a maple Strat neck on it. The pickup covers and knobs are now black. New Hipshots Chrome bridge and Kluson slotted tuners.
It's only 1 1/4" thick at the edge. Slab cut, book matched maple top 5/8" thick in the center. Quartersawn mahogany body. It's actually pretty heavy for such a thin body.

1648680658413.jpeg
NCT 4.jpg

Last edited:

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Nice

A3's or 5's?
He used A3 for the neck, and A5 for the bridge. The neck pickup gets 10,000 winds of 42 awg wire, and the bridge pickup gets 12,000. Really great sound.
This guitar tends to be very bright sounding and other pickups I've tried, and wound at the Telenator just didn't work well. Too bright.
The neck pickup on this guitar now sounds like the intro to "Sweet Child of Mine." So sweet.

Last edited:

horseman308

Tele-Holic
That's a beautiful guitar, and one of the few LP-style Teles I've seen that I really like. You did a great job. Rod-based p90s sure do sound good. Had one with 1/4" A5 rods in my LP build.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Beautiful guitar. I love a carved top t-style.

Looking forward to the sound clips.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Sorry I didn't have time to do a more thorough job, but it wasn't my studio. These are all first takes.

The rhythm sound is done clean on the neck pickup.
The solos have a bit more hair on them.

When I get into the higher notes, the Les Paul qualities really come through. Particularly on the neck pickup.

Such a sweet sound! Great pickups Rob!

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Sounds like a winner! That neck pickup really shines in the upper register.
I'm really happy with this pickup set. I wish I could have spent more time doing the sound clips but it just wasn't going to happen.

I built the guitar 24 years ago in an effort to have a Tele that sounded like a Les Paul. Mission accomplished. Finally!

There have been a few pickup swaps in this guitar over the years but none have sounded as good as these Cavaliers.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm really happy with this pickup set. I wish I could have spent more time doing the sound clips but it just wasn't going to happen.

I built the guitar 24 years ago in an effort to have a Tele that sounded like a Les Paul. Mission accomplished. Finally!

There have been a few pickup swaps in this guitar over the years but none have sounded as good as these Cavaliers.
Besides the sound. That's a great looking rig! Pictures with the maple neck?

Have fun!

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Besides the sound. That's a great looking rig! Pictures with the maple neck?

Have fun!
Thanks. I built the body back around 1998. That was the last time I hand carved maple! Stuff is hard.
In all honesty, the knobs and pickup covers are now black. Gotta wait for a sunny day because the sunburst looks really weird in soft lighting. Doesn't photograph well.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I have swapped pickups in Teles so many times I can't count. Once I found Rob's AlNiCo rod P-90's, all that stopped. I have an A3 one in the neck position of one of my Teles and an A5 one in the neck position of another. They're simply superb.
Yup, Rob does a great job with these. I have A3 in the neck and A5 in the bridge. Nice combination.