1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cavalier Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Habermas, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Habermas

Habermas TDPRI Member

Hey everyone. I got a set of Cavalier pickups to put in my G&L ASAT Tribute which ended up being a massive improvement. These pups sounds great. My problem is that I can't quite get them to balance correctly. I have a Lion King in the neck and a nashville lion in the bridge. The neck pup is so much warmer then the bridge that if I set up my amp to sound good with the neck, the bridge is way too bright. Conversely, if I set the amp up to sound good with the bridge, the neck is way too dark.

I'm wondering if these pickups are quite meant to pair together or if maybe I'm doing something wrong with the height of pickups? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Talk to Rob, a hotter bridge pickup might balance better for what you want.

Habermas likes this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have the same issue with a lot of Tele’s in general. I like a hot bridge pickup, which does tame the brightness a bit, but too hot and I find it gets muddy and to much mid range. As such, I usually try and get a brighter neck pickup.

i haven’t tried Cavaliers yet, but they are very highly recommended by others. I agree you should follow up with Cavalier on their recommendation.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Habermas likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

CavAlier
    Let's do the maker a favor by spelling his company name correctly

5. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

It probably has nothing to do with the pickups, but way more to do with the harmonic amplitude of the string in the 2 different locations. The string sound is always fatter near the neck and vice versa.

It sounds like you may need separate tone controls for your pickups.

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

Habermas likes this.
  6. Habermas

Habermas TDPRI Member

Thanks, Fixed it.

Chicago Matt and blowtorch like this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have the same set in my Tele, and I like the balance just fine. Of course, my balance may be your out-of-whackness.

For what it's worth, I have my amp set with the bass about 10-11 o'clock, mids about 1-2 and treble about 3. Again, your amp and my amp are likely different, but maybe this helps a bit. I also have both pickups set rather low, particularly the bridge pickup.

EDIT: Once again, subjectivity abounds, but I also want my neck pickup to sound warm, and my bridge pickup to sound bright. I doubt you're trying for both pickups to sound the same. I'm just saying, there's a balance between getting pickups that do what you want and letting those pickups be what they are.

Habermas likes this.
  8. Habermas

Habermas TDPRI Member

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I'll reach out to Rob. I just didn't want to bother him if anyone had experience with these pups and knew if it was normal or solvable. He's always been very helpful when I have reached out though.

9. Habermas

Habermas TDPRI Member

Thanks! I have noticed that I have these pups set fairly low as well compared to where most people suggest to pup tele pups. I do love the pickups, they sound amazing. The difference between the two just seems to be really drastic. Maybe That's just how it is with tele's though. This is my only tele so I don't have a lot of experience with different ones.

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Stock neck pickup in my ASAT Special is incredibly bright. Cavalier pickups that I put into my Peavey Reactor are more typical... neck mellow, bridge brighter.

Habermas likes this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I also have a no-load tone control in my Tele, and I tried a few caps before settling on one that gave me a nice sweep, so I have a lot of options there for warming/brightening things up. But for me that's more about having a wide range of tones available, and not so much for compensating.

Habermas likes this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Try dropping the treble side only of the bridge pickup about 1/8" and see if that makes a difference in the balance.

Habermas, El Tele Lobo and Wallaby like this.
  13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Teles are different animals in that the bridge pickup and neck pickup are different beasts by nature, not like Gibsons or Strats where the pickups in a particular guitar are usually more or less identical to each other. I like that a Tele has three very different sounds with the three switch positions. I have both a Nashville Lion and a Lion King neck and they seem well suited to each other. The Lion King neck pickup is not a dark Tele neck pickup to me. Rob's pickups are responsive to pickup height adjustment as well, so I'd continue to experiment with that before swapping anything out. Good luck. I hope you get what you're looking for.

Habermas likes this.
  14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

try raising the bridge and lowering the neck, should help a bit, start with the bridge, raise that until it gives a fuller sound.

Habermas and littlebadboy like this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Dropping the neck pickup down will definitely help out the volume imbalance problem :).

It also has the benefit of cleaning up the tone of the neck pickup and giving better note separation and articulation ;).

I've run into this issue more often with either a P-90 or humbucker in the neck, but you'll get the same effect with a single coil.

Dropping the neck pickup can really make a dramatic difference, but sometimes it gets overlooked - I think mainly because it's so dog-gone simple ;).

Habermas likes this.
  16. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

TDPRI member @Rob DiStefano is associated with Cavalier pickups. Maybe he will give some advice/comments on the pair.

Habermas likes this.
  17. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

This.

IME it might be only a 1/4 turn or so is needed, you can sneak up on it.

Habermas likes this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

boy if only someone had brought that up in post #2
    Oh wait. That did happen :)

19. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Wut?

It is one thing to suggest bringing Rob into the conversation. It is another to send up the Bat Signal.

Yeah, that happened.:)

20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I've had that set before. The neck is rather warm. I would recommend setting the pickup you use most to its sweet spot. THEN set the other pickup to complement it in terms of tone/volume. Don't be discouraged. Not specific to Rob's pickups, but just generally, getting a set of pickups dialed in takes TIME. With my last set (Bootstrap Palo Duros), I went up and down and up and down and up and down before I got them right where I wanted them and where they both sounded good to me. I would also second what another poster said about lowering one side of the pickups as needed. I find I usually have to lower the bass side of the pickups rather than the treble, to get even string volume across the instrument, but YMMV. I start about 5mm from the unfretted string to the top of the pickup, and gradually lower by half turns until I get into the neighborhood, then quarter turns til it's right. A screwdriver with writing on one side is helpful here. Good luck. Don't give up. And I wouldn't jump immediately to another pickup set just yet. You may be surprised what these are capable of.

SnidelyWhiplash, rand z and Habermas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.