Cavalier Oildale

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Rob DiStefano, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Oildale Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. 42AWG over A3 rod magnets, plenty o' twang, a bit more mid-range than the Bakersfield, and lotsa treble on tap, yer typical vintage mid-50's Tele® pup but without the shrill treble, about 7.3k dcr. A classic 50's Tele® bridge pup where the tone pot can be used to rein in the treble on occasion. Black or ivory/parchment string wrapped, supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

Mike doin' his thang ...

VWAmTele, kris ford, CFFF and 15 others like this.
  2. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Dang...great sound and playing too.

Loving my Firebird!

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds great Rob! Lots of springy twang there but not shrill. Just sweetness!

4. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Wow! Sounds like I need to buy one... nice job!

5. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Since you describe it as a mid-50’s, do these have the raised D&G?

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

So... how does this compare in an a/b shootout with a Nashville Lion? Gotta quit opening up threads like these!!

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I bought an Oildale from Rob a couple of weeks ago, and it's my overall favorite Tele bridge pickup. I really like the A3 mags and that it doesn't have as many winds as a 51/52 Lion. I haven't tried a 51/52 Lion, but I do tend to like lower-wind pickups. The Oildale has 8,900 turns of 42AWG. And @PigBoy: to answer your question: No, it doesn't have raised poles. All of Rob's pickups have flat pole-pieces.

Here are other Tele bridge pickups I've tried: Seymour Duncan Antiquities, Peter Florance TE-50, Peter Florance TE-62, Rumpelstiltskin Black Rope, Lollar Vintage-T, Cavalier Bakersfield Lion, Cavalier Nashville Lion, Cavalier Nocaster Lion, and Cavalier Humongous Lion.

I ended up with the Bakersfield Lion in one of my Teles and the Oildale in the other.

tho618 and DHart like this.
  8. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

I'd like to hear a comparison with the Nocaster Lion. Same amp settings and volume.

DHart likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

One Oildale en route to me as I write this. :)

I'm expecting it will be similar to my favorite bridge pickup of all that I've ever tried: the Cavalier 51/52. Who knows, though, I may find I love the Oildale even more than the 51/52! Pretty sure they will be my two top faves.

The Oildale should sound just a hair more "sparkly" than the 51/52, owing to same design but somewhat fewer winds.

I love the A3 mags in low-wind 42AWG bridge pickups, as they give just the slightest rounding to the sharpest highs, while retaining massive sparkle. (With neck pickups, I'm A5 all-the-way!)

Rob is giving us the nicest sounding pickups I've ever heard in a Tele. There are certainly MANY other Tele pickups, from other winders, that sound great also. But Rob's are priced very reasonably, his communications top notch, and shipping is lightning quick.

I honestly don't think the tones that Cavalier pickups are producing can be improved upon. Just pick the "style" of pickup he creates that suits your preferred sound most appropriately. For me, that's the low-wind, crystal and sparkly clear tones. But Rob also produces "hot" options for those who prefer that.

(He uses top grade components, scatter winds by hand guiding, and takes great care in the build quality. How can that be improved upon?). Oh... he will also make a custom wind for you - at no extra charge!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Durtdog, gkterry and theprofessor like this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I don't have a Nocaster Lion in one of my guitars anymore, but I have had two Nocaster Lions. The Nocaster has a lot more winds. The main thing I noticed about the Nocaster, in comparison with the Bakersfield and the Oildale, is that it's not as clear or as lively. It is a clear pickup, but it lacks the high-end sparkle of the lower-wind pickups, at least in comparison to the two I mentioned. The Nocaster is a pickup that emphasizes fundamental tones and is in no danger of "ice pick." The Oildale, by contrast, has more high-end and more "air" in the middle. There is just more space in the sound, given the relative lack of midrange (in comparison to the others). This gives the pickup sound less "body" but more clarity. The Oildale has a natural, acoustic quality that I have not experienced in other Telecaster pickups.

tonejam and 4pickupguy like this.
  11. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Well crap. I think I need to buy another pickup.

If I buy it, will I sound as good as Mike? (the answer is no)

@Rob DiStefano, where does the name "Oildale" come from?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    NothingGoatboat likes this.
  12. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So Rob, any chance of a P90? Great job, sounds superb!!

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My Oildale arrived today... and I installed it in my favorite Tele - American Standard in Mystic Red.

[​IMG]

Fantastic, brilliant, sparkly bright tone - just the way I like it. Very clean and clear. My kind of pickup.

I'd say I like it as much as, or possibly a teensy tiny bit more than, the 51/52 - but they're in different guitars, so of course a perfect direct comparison is not possible. Either way though - great tone. My two favorite Tele bridge pickups, without a doubt.

14. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Oildale is the suburb of Bakersfield Merle Haggard lived in.

igor5, Bruxist, ftbtx and 1 other person like this.
  15. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Hmm, very interesting, thanks DHart; I now need someone who can a/b with a Nashville Lion before I jump on the Oildale wagon!!

16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Factoring in differences between each guitar, A/B ing - an Oildale to Nashville Lion won't really tell you much, reliably. The guitars themselves impart a significant influence on how any pickup sounds.

Generally speaking, you can expect the Nashville to have slightly more midrange (a tiny, little bit warmer, perhaps) and the Oildale to have slightly more highs and lows, and perhaps be a smidgen "cleaner".

If you play with overdrive, decent chance you won't hear a difference between the two. If you play "clean", the Oildale will "sparkle" just a wee bit more than the Nashville.

That's really all you need to know to decide which one you might like.

They both sound excellent, and just a little bit different.

(I have Oildale, 51/52, Nashville, Fat Lion, and Huge Lion pickups from Cavalier.)

17. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Did you have to do anything different as far as wiring in order for the Oildale to work with the Antiquity phase wise in the middle position?
    I've heard this can sometimes be an issue mixing Duncans with other brands.

18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Rob's pickups come with a separate ground wire , so only a matter of switching two wires if there is trouble , neat

heffus likes this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Viking nailed it:

Rob's pickup ground lead is separate from the bridge ground lead.

(Fender's Broadcaster bridge pickup, for example, connects the pickup ground to the bridge ground, which can create problems! You have to cut that connection and separate the two ground leads if you want to switch around leads to play nicely with the neck pickup.)

With the Cavalier bridge pickup, you can reverse pickup leads, as need be, to correct phasing with the Duncan (and other) pickups, as the bridge ground lead (connected to the steel base of the bridge pickup) is separate from the pickup's ground lead.

THANK YOU ROB!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    heffus likes this.
  20. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

How does the oildale differ than say the current fender nocaster bridge pickup?

I'm trying to decide about trying the Oildale or the Bakersfield lion in my baja. It currently has the Fender nocaster bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.