Cavalier Nashville Lion... Will it rock?

wdbmusic

TDPRI Member
Hi, looking to buy a Cavalier Nashville Lion pup, I'm in 3 different bands and play a wide selection of music, my question is, for those that use the Nashville Lion, will it rock? and does it handle gain well?

Thank you..

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
It's not the rockingest pickup, but it'll rock. But if rocking is your priority then the Fat Lion (the next one "up") may suit you better.

I was looking into Cavalier pickups for my Esquire so I emailed Rob asking about a pickup that would be at home rocking Tom Petty-style but could also twang when reigned in. I was already mostly between the Nashville and the Fat. He told me Nashville for more twang (between the two), Fat for more oomph. I went with the Fat and it doth rock.

I eventually got a Nashville (along with a Lion King neck pickup) for my Tele, and it's also great. By no means exclusively a twangy, "country" pickup. Clearer and brighter than the Fat, but not by a huge degree. They do overlap. I guess it's mostly down to your priorities.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I also have a Fat Lion in the bridge position of a Strat and it Rocks, but it also has a little bit of twang to it to handle all the Classic Rock and Southern Rock from the 60's and 70's.
Rob has a few videos on his site so you can listen to gauge what you're looking for.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I also have a Fat Lion in the bridge position of a Strat and it Rocks, but it also has a little bit of twang to it to handle all the Classic Rock and Southern Rock from the 60's and 70's.
Rob has a few videos on his site so you can listen to gauge what you're looking for.

The great thing about those videos is that they're mostly the same guy in the same room playing very similar guitars. Demo videos are always a crapshoot for judging tone but doing it this way at least lets you judge the various pickups relative to each other.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
The Nashville Lion is a fine Pup, I love mine and use it from clean to fusion. It will of course all depend also on you choice of drives, compression, amp.. so don't just expect that from the pickup :) I'm sure Rob can also overwind it for you if you feel the urge

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
Could just be my guitar, but I found even the Huge Lion retained that Tele ascending EQ curve of least bass, more mids, even more treble. Not in harsh or strident way, though.

In contrast, the Seymour Duncan Hot for Tele was less oriented towards the high end and flatter.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
The NV was what Rob himself recommended to me when I first ordered from him some years ago. That was a time when he had less choices in terms of tele bridge pups. Its has some mids, yet it has a nice twang without ice pick. A excellent choice. :cool:

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
Look at his tapped pickups, not much more expensive and a Nashville/Huge would certainly meet all your needs, can be accessed through a mini toggle or a push/pull switch. I have one in my main Tele which is a Nashville/slightly overwound Fat, works well but if I did it again I would get the Nashville wind slightly underwound to get a wee bit more distance between the two. Speak to Rob, very accomodating guy to deal with. I play in a covers band and the option of two voices definitely helps.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Look at his tapped pickups, not much more expensive and a Nashville/Huge would certainly meet all your needs, can be accessed through a mini toggle or a push/pull switch. I have one in my main Tele which is a Nashville/slightly overwound Fat, works well but if I did it again I would get the Nashville wind slightly underwound to get a wee bit more distance between the two. Speak to Rob, very accomodating guy to deal with. I play in a covers band and the option of two voices definitely helps.

I eventually replaced the Fat in my Esquire with a tapped Bakersfield/Fat, which is a good "distance". I'm currently planning to replace that with a Bakersfield/Fat/Huge.

0utputXfmr

Tele-Meister
Hi, looking to buy a Cavalier Nashville Lion pup, I'm in 3 different bands and play a wide selection of music, my question is, for those that use the Nashville Lion, will it rock? and does it handle gain well?

Thank you..

Jimmy Page played the solo in Stairway to Heaven on a 58 Telecaster. So long as it doesn't mud-up when you add harmonic content-- and most Tele pickups are pretty darn good at retaining their clarity-- you should be all good! ;)

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Been playing garage punk for about eight years with a Nashville/Fat "Twin Lion." I lean Nashville, because it's got a lovely, clear ring to it while still being enough to not sound anemic under gain. In terms of output, I would call it "within normal limits" for a Tele you'd find in the wild. It's the kind of thing you could boost with a Tubescreamer and never worry about. The Fat Lion strains credulity about being a natural Tele pickup, but isn't nearly as hot as some, and while the heavier wind starts in with a little P90 flavor, it's still clearly more Tele in origin.

At first, I thought the difference between taps was subtle, but now I have a strong preference. With a decent pedal, the Nashville won't hold you back. With my stock JCM800, it gets there, but won't do "br00tal," which I am quite satisfied with. With an actual distortion or OD, no problem.

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
It works great for Heartbreakers, Stones early Led Zeppelin and Roots types plus all the non rock styles.
May not be the ideal for AC/DC and that type volume level without a boost pedal. It is a medium-hot pickup.

wdbmusic

TDPRI Member
It works great for Heartbreakers, Stones early Led Zeppelin and Roots types plus all the non rock styles.
May not be the ideal for AC/DC and that type volume level without a boost pedal. It is a medium-hot pickup.

That's as heavy as I need to be so in that case it should be perfect.. thank you for your reply..

Reactions: Geo