Cavalier: Nashville Lion or Fat Lion?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 63 vibroverb, Jan 23, 2018.

1. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Looking to replace the bridge pickup in my tele. As a reference, my favorite tele bridge pickup I've played so far is a DiMarzio True Velvet of all things (which I have in my other tele). I basically want something just a little fatter and hotter than the True Velvet but can still get that treble sting when I need it. The Nashville seems like the logical option, but I'm interested in the Fat Lion too.

Currently have a broadcaster pickup handwound at 13k with A3/43 awg in it right now - very growly and snarly, but a little too soft sounding for me. Not a lot of bottom end or punch either.

Anybody here have experience with both the True Velvet and either Cavalier?

Bruxist likes this.
  2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I have a Nashville Lion from Cavalier.. To me, it is the perfect Tele pickup.. Not too hot,... Not too cold... Rob's pickups are the 'bees' knees'! A lot of love for his pickups here.. Just call him or message him,... he is easy to talk to and will listen to you to get the sound you need...

gobi_grey likes this.
  3. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Thanks Rod - I messaged him but all he said was "just depends on how much treble and mids you want". Didn't really give me too much to go off of. Seemed like he was in a hurry or something. I still wanna give his pickup a try though.

4. Mitch T

Mitch T TDPRI Member

No experience with the True Velvet I'm afraid, but I've played and heard a lot. And I like the Fat Lion extremely much.
    To give you an Idea, I like low output PAFs, medium output P90s and dislike low output single coils. I use Vox amps and Celestion Heritage M20s (probably the biggest impact on overall sound). I mostly play pop/rock and play with a hairy clean or light/medium drive most of the time.
    And I love the Fat Lion.

Now, if you have an idea why I like it so much, try a more elaborate description yourself and you'll probably get Bette response and more accurate answers :)

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

maybe these will help

fat lions

nashville and lion king

I ordered a fat lion bridge but haven't installed it yet, too consumed

guitar0621 and Bruxist like this.
  6. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Your 13k Broadcaster sounds soft? That may be the A3's tendency to sound a bit spongy, at least IMO. I'd go with the standard Nashville, which has A5 mags, which should tighten things up and provide a nice fat twang, with plenty of highs & lows, but no icepick.

7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Not familar with the True Velvet and the best advice (to ask Rob) has already been given, so the only thing to add is to mention that, if you want to, you can get both in a Twin Lion for $20 more!

I am the proud owner of a Nashville/Huge Twin Lion.

8. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I've seen those clips and both sound really good. It's pretty tough - they both definitely overlap tonally when he works the volume knob. The Nashville seems to sing and sustain just a wee bit more than the Fat Lion. But the Fat Lion sounds so full and PAF-ish. I'm sure they'd both be great, so maybe I'm just splitting hairs here.

I'm also hoping to improve the tone of the middle position (neck and bridge together) - the brighter bridge pickup would probably do better with that, right? My neck pickup is 6.6 K with A5/42 awg wire.

The broadcaster pickup is great, but isn't quite as dynamic as I'd like - especially after playing the True Velvet bridge pickup.

Thanks guys

9. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

yeah i sent him an email this morning and got a short reply compared to last time i spoke with him where he took a lot of time to educate me a bit about pickup technology and his process. he kind of ignored one of my main questions actually so im stuck with the exact same decision as you, between nashville and fat lion. :lol:

curious about his tapped pickups when you can push pull between two voices. but idk if lets say you have a tapped nashville that you can pull up a pot and become a fat lion, if that pickup is less pure and different sounding than having just a straight regular nashville instead.

10. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Both! :D

Stick a Nash in one Tele and a FL in t'other.

You know it makes sense. :cool:

Spaceboy likes this.
  11. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I used to have A3's in my strats too, but over time went over to A5's and was happy. I like that A3's somehow seem to give one last push of sustain after the initial note decays - it's something that I haven't experienced with other magnets. Kinda like a tube rectifier. But I always tend to need my A3 pickups to be overwound to be able to push my amps the way I like. At that point, I lose my dynamics though. The broadcaster pickup growls nicely when I dig in, but not much difference in volume. I'm thinking Nashville would be good too.

Yea, maybe he's got a lot going on right now. What are your thoughts between Nashville and Fat Lion? Maybe we can figure this out, haha.

May need to eventually get another tele to put a Fat Lion in!

El Tele Lobo and LAGinz like this.
  12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Nashville Lion, Fat/Bakersfield Twin Lion and a 51/52 Lion. The 51/52 has become a new favorite of mine. Kind of a Pete Anderson vibe going on with it.

It has the A3 magnets, but wound with 42 wire. With my AC15C1x, gets you the "Fast As You" tone picking back by the bridge saddles.

My Nashville is a chameleon. It wanders between and covers quite a few styles. It twangs and roll back the treble gets real smooth.

The Fat/Bakersfield goes from Don Rich, Roy Nichols and James Burton then hit the Fat switch. Fat and still some twang, but that depends on the touch.

The Fat gets closer to the Jim Messina vibe. At least in my opinion. I have the F/B paired with a SRV Tiger Strat Neck pickup. The middle position with these two is just great.

I have no affiliation with Cavalier Pickups, just a happy customer.

El Tele Lobo and Bruxist like this.
  13. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Thanks Spud. How hot is your 51/52 wound to?

C'mon, there's gotta be someone here who's played a True Velvet and a Cavalier

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. duncan121

duncan121 Tele-Meister

Huge Lion fan here...Just got it installed a week ago and it's perfect..Hot but not ice picky..love it

lineboat likes this.
  15. duncan121

duncan121 Tele-Meister

1517070217411.jpg Huge Lion bridge paired with a Lollar Gold Foik

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Do you think the Nashville/Fat Lion would be a good pairing in a Twin setup? I am considering that, but wondering if maybe they are too close for the switch to be very noticable, and maybe a Nashville/Huge Lion or some other combination, maybe 51-52/Fat Lion might be a better option? That way there's a bigger gap between the two sounds of a Twin. You seem to have a lot of Cavaliers so maybe just the person to ask!

I play more '90s style rock and indie, not really shooting for classic rock sounds, but I like a bright sharp clean/light gain from my AC30 and then sometimes I play Marshalls for a more classic rock roaring sound. It'd be interesting to have a brighter and more classic pickup for the AC30, and flip a switch for a darker, hotter pickup sound for the Marshalls.

17. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Nash/Huge is what I have in my number one and they are definitely not too close together.

I would think Nash/Fat would be a good one if you want to switch on the fly, like as a boost for a solo. But I have no real experience with that, just conjecture.

Spaceboy likes this.
  18. SPUDCASTER

As Rob states on his site. A Twin with two selections that are close together, like a Nash/Fat, might not be enough of a sonic difference. Not that he wouldn't do it.

I have a Fat/Bakersfield. And like Bruxist's Nash/Huge, a definite difference. The Nash/Huge sounds good, I have the Fat/Baker because I do a lot of Burton, Rich and Nichols 60's flavored stuff.

Not sure he has a tapped version of the 51/52. The 51/52 uses A3 magnets as opposed to the A5's in the regular lineup. You'd have to ask him about a tapped 51/52. I'm not sure why not.

The 51/52 is listed @ 7.8DCR and the Nashville is listed @ 8.2DCR. Other than the magnets, I'm not sure that's much of a difference DCR wise.

My 51/52 and Nashville are in different guitars, obviously. And there could be a little sonic and electronic differences between the two guitars. The 51/52 just "seems" a little hotter to me. And that could be "just me".

Spaceboy and Bruxist like this.
  19. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I think you could get a 51/52-Nocaster Twin Lion since they use the same mags and wire.

20. SPUDCASTER

51/52 uses 42 and the Nocaster uses 43. Same A3's though. He could probably make a 51/52-Fat/Huge Twin style. Maybe? Or something along those lines.

When in doubt, call Rob.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.