Cavalier Bear AR90

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Rob DiStefano, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Added to the Cavalier Pickups single coil offerings ...

A vintage P90® style pickup, calibrated by position (neck, middle, bridge). The "AR" signifies "AlNiCo Rod magnets" instead of a bar magnet. This is an early rendition of the classic P90® that uses rod magnets and 42AWG coil wire, with 10000 turns for the neck position, 11000 for the middle and 12200 for the bridge. A blend of "Gibson meets Fender". A favorite for the neck position in a Tele® and just perfect for a lap steel! A choice of all A5 rod magnets for the most output and aggressiveness, or a blend of A5 rod magnets for the bass strings (E/A/D) and A3 rod magnets for the treble strings (G/B/E) that allows a sweeter high end, or all A3 rod magnets for the most string to string clarity. Supplied with covers (a choice of black or cream) and body mounting screws with both height springs and tubing.

ar90.jpg

20210609_075437.jpg

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hey Rob do you make these with the braided Gibson shielded style wire too?

3. Rob DiStefano

I also offer Gibson shielded cable if need be, but there is no pressing need for it.

TeleTex82 and Telekarster like this.
  4. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice, Rob! Can't wait to install your Firebird in the neck position of my partscaster. It's waiting patiently on the shelf at the moment.

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

That's awesome, I think there should be more fender style single coils in Gibson pickup sizes. Especially for the neck position where I find single coil clarity preferable.

Edit: I've wound a z-coil on alnico rods and put it in a standard humbucker sized WRHB cover and I really liked the result (noise cancelling too).

6. Rob DiStefano

The Bear AR90 has been tested by more than a few TDPRI members, and one person made a request for A3s on the treble side and I accommodated. He was quite pleased with the high end sweetness of this "Mama Bear" variation. The A5/A3 combination is available as a purchasing choice, along with all A5 or all A3 magnets.

7. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Friend of Leo's

Rob, any sound demo's of these available?

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that would be good Rob!

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I had the privilege of trying out a couple of prototypes of these AR-90's, and these may well be my favorite pickups from Rob. I have tried most all the Tele/Esquire pickups, and I have also tried his Phoenix Firebird (which is a magnificent pickup). I realize this is all subjective, but these strike me as a cross between a P-90 and a Strat pickup. They've got some guts and power, but they've also got string-to-string note definition and pop that are not typical of bar magnet P-90's (unless perhaps we're talking about P90's with A3 bar magnets). Or maybe they could be said to sound like Jazzmaster pickups with more girth and gusto. The A5 rods on these AR-90's gives you the big, defined bass you'd expect, and the treble has a quick attack that is very defined. The A3 magnets on the treble side, by contrast, are a little more subtle with less sharp attack, and not quite as bright. All to say, I'm a big, big fan. And very well constructed, as usual.

I'll see about making some sound samples of an all A5 AR-90 and then an A5/A3 AR-90 as well. Can't promise great playing, but I can try to get the sound across!

vhilts1 likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks great!
    I’m finding a P90ish coil but with alnico rods is my favorite sound.

Are the bobbins plastic like Gibson?
    So can the rods be pushed up and down?
    Or are you making them with fiber top & bottom?
    The only other thing I don’t like about the stock P90 is the narrow mag spacing with a Fender at the bridge.
    Not a sound problem just OCD!

11. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Buying from Rob is a great experience

My “Holy Grail Nocaster” set is truly great and exactly what I was going for

His descriptions and explanations of the various early Telecaster pickup types are the best and most complete on the net.

Truthfully I’d buy from him based solely on that out of appreciation and the fact that his products are great is even more motivating to buy from him

12. theprofessor

Hey telemnemonics - Here is a photo of the bottom of my AR-90 with A5 mags all the way across:

AR90.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. theprofessor

I agree, @vhilts1 . I have not encountered a vendor who either builds better quality pickups or has better customer support than Rob. Certainly not both at the same time!

zippofan and vhilts1 like this.
  14. Rob DiStefano

15. telemnemonics

Cool, that sounds like a great recipe!

If I ever get my dang el cheapo pickup winder working I'm gonna make some JM pickups a bit like that, taller than stock JM but nothing crazy, just want to make them myself and get a little closer to P90 without the steel pole thing.
    I doubt I can wind a good coil though so they might really suck!
    Hoping with practice...

Will these AR90s fit a dogear cover too?
    I almost bought a nice used LP Jr but would have needed some custom pickup, and now here it is.
    I actually chopped up a beater Tele body for a dogear bridge pickup, and now have a TVJ Magna'Tron in a dogear mount at the bridge.

16. Rob DiStefano

The AR90 bobbin is a Gibson P90 bobbin, which is the same bobbin used for either soapbar or dogear.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Rob DiStefano

Keep at it, you can do it! thumbsup.gif

18. Rob DiStefano

The top bobbin is a plastic Gibson P90, the middle bobbin is one I created using vulcanized fiberboard to P90 dimensions, the the bottom is an AR90 bobbin ...

20210620_063910.jpg

AR90 bottom views, one wound and potted, the other wound and awaiting potting ...

20210620_063941.jpg

This image demonstrates the fiberboard bobbin build difference between P90 and AR90. The top image bobbin is built to P90 spex, but since there is no bar magnet and no bottom plate, the bobbin sits deep in a P90 cover. The bottom image is the current AR90 build, where its P90 cover now allows its height to be the same as a Gibson P90, for ease of use ...

20210620_064947.jpg

19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dang!! Any dog ear p90s on the horizon? :)

20. telemnemonics

Holy monster tone Rob!

I think I can hear that pickup from here!

...hearing with my eyes and all...

vhilts1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.