Cautionary tale regarding online purchases

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Milspec, May 19, 2020.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This not going to be a rant against online auction sites, nor a shipping complaint, but it is information that you will thank me for if you listen.

I purchased a couple of vintage speakers off fleabay and received them on Saturday. I was excited to check out my fortune and carried the boxes upstairs to where my studio and bedroom are located. I opened the boxes on my bed and pulled out the 2 Jensen speakers and was pleased to see their condition was as advertised....they also performed as advertised.

In fact, I was thrilled with the purchase experience until right about 3 am the next morning. I woke up from a sound sleep after feeling an itch on my lower back. I went back to sleep only to have it happen again about 10 minutes later.

I knew I was not going to get any sleep if I didn't address the itch and planned on just getting some anti-itch creme out of the medicine cabinet, but when I jumped out of bed angrily and hit the lights....there it was, a single freaking BED BUG was making its escape across my sheets!

I flipped out and killed it immediately, but was now panicked about having bed bugs so I didn't get back to sleep all night. When I contacted the seller that morning he told me that he had a bed bug problem over the winter, but it was taken care of months ago. I had clear evidence that he was wrong.

I spent all yesterday stalking my prey and finding nothing. I have done some bed bug remediations before my business closed and have a very good track record of success, but I couldn't locate any additonal bugs nor tracks of them.

Even so, I set some tracer traps on the bed legs and slept in a full tyvek suit with built-in hood and footies so that I didn't become the menu item again just in case. It wasn't the most comfortable thing to wear in bed, but it worked well enough that I over-slept and was late for work. I also didn't get another bite and the traps are clear, so my fingers are crossed that the bug I killed was a lone stow-away, but that is likely wishful thinking.

So, when you purchase items from online sources, make certain you open them up outside and check it over VERY CAREFULLY prior to bringing them inside....especially if you are dumb enough to open it up on your bed.

2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

Well...that's a bite in the.....back?

Torren61 likes this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

whew, that's a helluva good cautionary tale, milspec!

ok now I'm paranoid

4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I once ordered a 3 pack of strings and got herpes...

5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Funniest thing I will read all week...:D

P.S...that's your version of the Seinfeld "tractor story", but...did she believe it?

Torren61 likes this.
  6. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I got an itch after I opened the box my Strymon Flint came in. The itch to plug it in and play through it.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Come on, man. You didn’t really sleep in tyvec pajamas did you? I can’t stop thinking about it. :lol: That must have been a sight!

8. Milspec

Don't mean to make any paranoid, I mean I have had a very good track record until now, but I dread going to bed tonight in case there is still a problem. They are not easy to eradicate and it can take months to win. I would much rather it had been a snake or spider in that box than this tiny little vampire. One of the worst part about them is that you have to make them come to you instead of trying to find them. They can last for a year without feeding so you can't starve them out and they hide so damn well. You have to be the bait to draw them in to kill them.

Damn, creeps me out just thinking about it really

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Milspec

I sure did. When I closed the business I kept all the inventory and equipment, so I have a storage room full of those suits. It looked silly, but bed bugs can't bite you through material, only bare skin, so it works. When it happens to you, it seems like a sane thing. I remember my customers telling me they haven't slept a full night's sleep in weeks when they called me. I understand why now.

10. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

a very prudent message here Milspec.
    I don't want any "tiny livestock" joining me in the sack, especially ones that intend to make a snack of me.
    if I receive anything in the future I will be inspecting it out on the deck before bringing it indoors.

Milspec likes this.
  11. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Man, that's a drag. Knowing how bed bugs hide in nooks and crannies, did you take the speaker grills off to see if any were lurking underneath? It's also possible they may be inside the speaker if there's a bass port on them.

Are the Tyvek suits you mentioned made for safe sleeping in a bed bug infested area, or for something else. And isn't your face exposed?

12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Mike Eskimo, 8barlouie and gobi_grey like this.
  13. Milspec

Those bastards could be hiding anywhere by now if there really was more than just that lone hitchhiker. They generally stay near the victim because they don't fly nor jump and have to walk to get you. You find them in the seams of mattress, gaps between the mattress and box spring, pillows, the bed frame if wood (one of the best reasons for metal bed frames and headboards), behind pictures on the wall, curtains, baseboards, and really seem to like electrical sockets. I haven't found any more and no tracks found under black light, but it is early in the war yet.

Tyvek suits are mainly exposure suits. I used them for mold abatements mostly, but also work really well when clearing out poision ivy. I just figured that since a bed bug can't get through it, why not wear it? They can be a little warm, but I run the A/C at night anyway. The only area left exposed was my face, but I could throw on a sniper veil for that which really would look weird. Instead I just coated my neck with Vicks to discourage their efforts.

My luck, I will die in my sleep and the coronor will be wondering why I was wearing a full tyvek suit and sniper veil in bed. If that happens, at least you guys will know the story.

Deeve, Mouth and sloppychops like this.
  14. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Ewww!
    10 years ago bed bugs were no issue at all around here. I bought a used sofa without any worry at all. Now they're everywhere in this town. I wouldn't buy used furniture period. No way. Bed bugs started infesting this town about 5 years ago. Thanks for the reminder to be careful.
    I used to work in mental health and knew a someone who was always selling on Ebay. His apartment was a trash pile with loaded fly strips hanging all over the place. Soiled, poopy tighty whities all over the floor. Garbage everywhere. He'd wake up and come to the door with guenipig bedding all over one side of him. He was sleeping with his guenipigs in their cage! And people were buying his stuff and taking it into their homes. God only knows what was crawling into those boxes before he sent them off.

tubevibrato and Milspec like this.
  15. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you eradicate those bastards quickly.

This past winter I bought an ancient amp that looked a little suspect, so I kept it outside in subfreezing temperatures on the back porch for a few days. Luckily, it seems the amp was clean.

Milspec likes this.
  16. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

Thank you very much, I won't be finishing my coffee now. :rolleyes::lol:

17. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

welp - the seller saw what Sweetwater was packing along w/ their shipments and said to himself: "I will become a Legend!"

:eek:

18. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Uck. We typically open stuff in the garage or on the front porch. Making me itch.

19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nothing two tablespoons of Chlorox can't fix.
    If the taste bothers you add it to your orange juice.

:lol:

20. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

I hate those little vermin! Only got bit once, at a hotel I stayed in. Not a pleasant experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.