Cautionary shipping tale

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele_savales, Sep 12, 2019 at 12:23 AM.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

This is what I came home to this evening:
    I said to myself, “I don’t believe it. He shipped it the display box.” Yeah well, he did. Dead mint, brand new, destroyed. *sigh*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

did you contact the shipper? he will have to claim for the damage,
    question : the crease in the photo is that a rip in the paper?
    obvious some thing fell through the box and caused these issues, it is a waste but I do believe there is an insured amount through USPS if declared

good luck with this I used to have to deal withthese type of claims with Canada post , so I imagine CPC and USPS are verysimilar in their claim proceedures

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bummer, shipping speakers is the most stressful thing to ship imo.
    The last one I ordered arrived doa as well, no signs of damage but it must have been dropped along the way as the voice coil rubbing sounded gnarly.

If that's just a crease or tear it might still work ok. I wouldn't accept as a new purchase but I wouldn't trash it either if they don't want it back.

24 track likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You do realize you included your full name and address in one of the photos, yes?

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I certainly understand the disappointment, but the speaker doesn't look all that compromised (based on the picture anyway). The cone obvious had contact, but it doesn't look like it will alter the sound any. I ship speakers quite often and always moutn them to a 1/8 plywood panel to protect the cone and then a padded box for the magnet side. They seem to survive the gorillas that way.

It should have been labeled as being a damaged box by USPS when it reaches the assigned carrier. That didn't happen so either your regular carrier got a little lazy or else he / she damaged it under their control. It is improper packaging so USPS isn't likely to accept any responsibility on it, but it should have been documented once observed. In addition to poor packaging, it was sent "select ground" which is a budget ship that adds several days to the delivery process. More days = greater chance for damage. That is 2 mistakes by the seller.

If you don't already know your regular carrier, this would be a good time get in touch. I have players telling me when they have equipment coming so I can look out for it and for them....any important package really. I have a pawn shop on my route that gets silver and gold bars delivered often and will tell me about in advance so that it doesn't get lost or left in an unsecure location.

Just contact the post office and ask to speak with the regular carrier on city route #4.

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

He's hoping a bro will feel so bad for him that he will send him another speaker.

7. tele_savales

I contacted him instantly. I spent all of last weekend screwing, gluing, and clamping a tweed case back together that some guy totally burned me on because I stupidly threw out the box he shipped it to me in, which i should've taken a closer look at but I was too busy to inspect it properly.
    I just want him to refund my money.
    And yeah its a crease, and a small tear.

24 track likes this.
  8. tele_savales

Milspec, you are correct, UPS will never cover that damage in a million years. And since it was left in the lobby I couldnt refuse it on sight.
    Not the end of the world.

*oh, it was USPS. even worse.*

Milspec likes this.
  9. tele_savales

Thanks. I'm a little, how do you say, "relaxed" at that time of night...

J-Flanders likes this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I got your moderator request. I don’t see your name/address in a photo. Did you get it taken care of?

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Removing someone else's political lawn signs is illegal here. Still... it's my lawn!

Get off my lawn!

Signs are there at sundown, gone by dawn.

They're made of space age corrugated plastic. Just like cardboard only more rigid and waterproof.

Slap down my old framing square, a few quick swipes with my utility knife...

Try to knock a hole in that, UPS!

If my political signs don't align with your politics bear in mind they're not my signs. (Where is that horned emoji we used to have?)

I talked to the UPS guy the other day. Told him my favorite Weird Al Yankovic Day joke. That's the day when every package arrives looking like an accordion.

UPS Driver's stance is if it gets damaged it wasn't packed right. I can be pretty persuasive. He wouldn't budge from his position.

:rolleyes:

studio1087 likes this.
  12. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

They're not called United Package Smashers for nothing.

Hiker likes this.
  13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've shipped lots of stuff by USPS.

Last year I had a claim, a guitar that was damaged in shipping, I had insurance on it. Filed a claim at USPS online, their basic response was, "how much do you want?" I told them and they paid it, almost immediately, no argument.

14. tele_savales

Yes, thanks a bunch>

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

This brings up a question I would like to ask. Would you be willing to pay a higher rate for special handling on musical equipment? My route is just over 500 adresses, so not huge, but big enough and I must deliver at least a dozen guitar-related items every single day. A guitar about once per week and amps maybe 2-3 per month, but lots of other gear from microphones to pedals. Each time that I do, I make an extra effort to take care of those items, but that is because I play and not everyone does. If USPS offered a service that added protection and security for our gear, would it be worth paying a slightly higher rate to you guys?

For example, hand sorted instead of the machine dumping them into a large bin on top of each other. Real "fragile" treatments as it passes through the process. For example, at most offices I have been to, packages are thrown into the route bins...often from 8 feet away by clerks, so a fragile handling would require hand carry to the route case instead of tossing. Maybe even a seperate delivery so they don't sit in a freezing / boiling truck all day... like we handle priority express packages.

No carrier out there offers any such thing, but I sure wish that they did. Anyone else think it would be a good idea?

16. moosie

That's good to know.... and not in a scammy way, either. I buy insurance for guitars, but always assumed it would be a nightmare trying to collect.

17. moosie

As ever, it would depend on the cost.

Also, color me cynical. Why an add-on when I can currently cover my package with 'FRAGILE' stickers? Because the post office ignores that, of course. But the implication is that we already get careful treatment with proper labeling, even if everyone knows it doesn't happen. So now what? I can buy labels that say "NO, REALLY. FRAGILE."

If the post office already formally acknowledged that 'FRAGILE' markings are ignored, then I might feel less lied to when offered an add-on service.

I'm sorry if my interpretation of USPS rules is incorrect, but it's how it appears to me.

18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Your reaction is understandable and not far off base. Stamping a package "Fragile" matters, but nobody is enforcing the handling. It is pretty much up to the line employees on how much they respect it. The goal with an added service is that it forces Supervisors to be involved, much like priority packages are handled. Non-priority packages are handed to the carriers and the supervisor is out of the loop at that point. A priority package includes a daily report that the supervisor must complete ensuring all packages were delivered so they get involved in the process. Priority Express packages are a whole different game as they get the red carpet treatment and will often be delivered before the route is even started so it doesn't spend time bouncing around in a hot / cold truck.

I guess my vision would be some sort of a priority classification just for musical instruments and equipment. It would come down to price and I have no idea where the breaking point would be on that as we still have people sending speakers and instruments in the cheapest of ways. possible

moosie likes this.
  19. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I bought a Celestion G10 vintage 80th Anniversary this year. It arrived with a big dent in the speaker frame.

I managed to get it bent back reasonably straight, and it sounds great..... but it was HARD to bend back. It must have taken a massive impact to get that frame bent that much.

Luckily the cone was untouched.

20. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I had a fortunate shipping issue about a year ago. I ordered $170 speaker from amazon and they sent me the wrong one. The send me the right one right away.

They refused to let me return the wrong one ( I tried at least twice) because of the special shipping requirements!

So i sold the brand new speaker to someone locally to save them some cash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.