Caution when ordering tuners from Philadelphia Luthier

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PeterUK, Dec 9, 2019.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

My next build is definitely going to have a reversed headstock...and it’ll be pointy. So there... ;)

Replacement sets for 4 + 2, 4 + 3 tuners are less common, often requiring some figuring and searching to buy the right combination of singles. Difficulty goes up when you want staggered! :)

“Wait...so, I need a right side medium post? Or, is it a left side short post...? It’s the 4th tuner from the left when counting clockwise...”. Makes for great conversation when placing phone orders.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    LutherBurger likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

:)

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I put stuff on the grocery list according to the direction I walk through the store.
    If I go to get cheese at the cheese counter because cheese is at the top of my list, but the cheese counter is busy, I go down the rest of the list and then go back hoping there's less of a line.
    But then I often look at the top of the list again and simply do not see the word cheese.
    So I buy more lettuce and go home.

When I get home and my wife asks where the cheese is, I have some 'splainin' to do.

How does one explain misreading clearly written info?

I gotta 'nother story about tuning my reverse headstock 7 string, wanna hear it?

Dan German, LutherBurger and MrGibbly like this.
  4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ha ha! I shared my mistake and got mauled for it!

It’s obviously been a quiet news day! :lol:

:) Peter

5. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first build had a reverse headstock. I still like them. With my gibbon arms, it’s easier to reach tuners under than over. Wanna fight? (Remember the gibbon arms—I got reach!)

boris bubbanov and LutherBurger like this.
  6. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

True, but I still think the funky 10% need to accept some of the blame here. :p

LutherBurger likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My problem is I tune the wrong string because I can't really see which tuner I'm grabbing.
    Add in the fact that my only reverse headstock is that 7 string and I'm dooooooomed!

PeterUK and Dan German like this.
  8. PeterUK

Yes. I thought I’d put my head above the parapet.

It has been a useful exercise though. I can top up my ‘Ignore List’.

;) Peter

MrGibbly likes this.
  9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just send them a picture and ask them to provide you with tuners.

10. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

On a side note Peter do you have a percentage of orders from the US that arrive without tax,duties and fees being added?

Everything I've ever ordered from the US gets clobbered ...

PeterUK likes this.
  11. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Seeing how I just love making my life more complicated than it needs to be, I am lefthanded (which is bad enough) but prefer reverse headstocks (to make the thin E string shorter on Fenders, NOT for aesthetic reasons)) so I have to triple check everything before I buy tuners.
    So far, I haven't screwed it up, but buying the correct staggered height tuners was a mindblower!

12. PeterUK

I get everything shipped to an office in Atlanta and I collect it or someone brings it across (quite legally; you can personally import £350 worth of goods with tax or duty) as we have a steady stream of traffic with people coming to and from.

Sometimes it doesn’t come direct. A colleague from the UK was meeting a colleague from the Atlanta office in Bangkok so they exchanged the goods there.

My Rutters saddles and 1961 aged bridge starter off in the USA, flew to Thailand and came all the way to the UK!

I sometimes have to wait a month or so to get some items but I avoid the tax and duty this way.

I’ll never see the offending tuners. They’ll be returned from the Atlanta office at US postal rates.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

john_cribbin likes this.
  13. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Back in the early '90s I bought a micro mains/PP9 battery amplifier from a music shop after checking out their great demo version. Took it home, plugged it in and listened to... the sound of silence. Cue lots of cursing and a 30 minute walk back to the shop to complain. Salesman, in front of half a dozen interested spectators, simply reverses the pos-neg in-line connector and the little amp bursts into life.
    I could have walked under their closed door with a top hat on.
    :oops:

smartsoul72 likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think Peter's misadventure underscores something. We're using terms most people on the street would not get right.

This is IMO one of those "Everything You Know is Wrong" situations and we should start from scratch.

The sales website should offer in line sets of six like this: FOR RIGHT HAND Guitar, normal headstock orientation or LEFT HAND, REVERSE headstock orientation. And then the second choice is: FOR LEFT HAND GUITAR, normal headstock orientation or RIGHT HAND, REVERSE headstock orientation. Throw away all the old terms that usually work OK but just often enough, cause big headaches.

We got some proud guys who have never screwed up ordering machines, but I would say for most of us, unless you're buying every week, you forget this complicated, reverse intuition arrangement we have used before. I say, scrap all of the old terms and just do it in a common sense way. I never ordered these machines the wrong way around, but a lot of that is simply dumb luck.

I think Allparts is kinda already doing this. TK -0880, "Standard" orientation or "Left Handed".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    PeterUK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.