1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cats. Lots-O-Cats.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

My office is located on a 255 acre farm. Small by most farmers' standards, but pretty big for these parts. As a result of being one of the larger properties in the area, we get lots of cats. People dump them along the driveway and then they procreate. The cats that is, although I have seen some pretty crazy stuff on our driveway. Last week a half-naked kid wanted me to host a festival for his uncle Mickey Hart. I digress. Some of my employees feed the wild cats even though our three farmers frown on the practice. The rest of us basically ignore them and hope the nasty, wild things survive without bothering us.

Reports vary, but it has become obvious that we have well over the sustainable number of about a dozen cats that would prove acceptable for the size of the property.

What is the solution? The best answer that I was suggested was to coerce employees stop feeding them (three great and obviously compassionate employees are sure to be angry with me) and let nature rule. It would also cut down on the rats and mice and keep the few natural predators away from the calves in the spring. Is there a better way to minimize the local feline population then just putting up a sign that says "Don't feed the animals"?

Thanks for your help and guidance.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

collect them and get them spayed and neutered... the whole lot.

See if you can get a local shelter to sponsor you and get it done for a flat fee..

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

What he said!

Those cats are probably killing every bird in the neighborhood!

Cheers, Tim

4. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

+ 1

Or get a dog. A really, really big dog... ;)

5. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

I have a ' very big ' bull terrier , and a cat . The dog is probably one of the most loving dog breeds you can get , and in the dog world , would probably have most other dogs for breakfast .
    Can you guess who the boss is ? Meowwwwwww !! :lol:

6. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

7. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

Strike up a deal with a local
    Chinese Resturant....

Just Kidding....Just Kidding

I love cats and Asians...

8. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

We have a big dog and a cat...they sleep together on the couch or the big bed.

9. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

Yep, excellent advice...then just keep 'em around to cut down on rodent life....We had a CHAMPION cat, a Tom named Tigger several years ago....great big ole tabby (unnuetered) that would let my then 3yr old kid grab him by the neck and tote him all over the place, love on him etc...that cat was the BEST.

We had to put bells on his collar though, to keep the birds living...he was an awesome hunter....when he couldn't get a bird, he'd sit out and wait for the moles to tend their hills and he's brought more than a few carcasses up for some sort of reward.

The best ever though was my neighbor came across the street one day and had a funny look on his face. "That cat of yours, he's amazing!...he just killed a snake in our flower bed, see?"...he had killed a chicken snake ....

He just disappeared one night...I sure hope he's still around somewhere...I always look twice when I see a Tabby......

10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That wouldn't work with MY cat though, he once swiped our neighbors' German Sheppard's nose and ever since that day that dog gives him a wide birth whenever he's around.

11. Country Gent

Country Gent TDPRI Member

You probably don't see many mice.

12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Yep! We've got a Red Dog actually He's orange and three cats, a male and two females and they all sleep together. The male cat taught the red dog the art of bird hunting and this ole boy'll crawl right up to 'em and shake hands. Red and Shadow down the road do not get along because Shadow went after the male cat MJ who happens to be Red's adopted brother by all accounts. I think they're better people than most of the *******s that walk on two legs.

13. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Have those folks that insist on feeding the cats take the critters home!
    That will put the brakes on their soup line... I'm only half kidding... I work at a Turkey slaughtering plant way out in the country on a very large installation. We get lots of throw outs also... That's low behavior imo... I have a large black male cat at home that I rescued as a kitten from our plant. I named him Lunis Felbane. The boss; though, is a little tabby female named Cricket. They live inside so that's what she hunts... and she's one of those light-speed cats. :lol: She was a rescue also. Her litter was born in the woods and she ended up in the chassis of my girlfriend's SUV during a litter move. My girlfriend heard her crying while driving to the next town 14 miles away where she got the folks at the car dealership to put the truck up on the rack and retrieve her. That cat wants nothing to do with outdoors... :lol:

14. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Since birds are dinosaurs, wouldn't that sort of complete one full rotation of the evolutionary cycle?

15. Hockey Rocker

Thanks for the advice. One foreman at work agreed that we should snip a few of the males. I think that, combined with the "Please do not feed" warning, should do the trick. It's interesting to read your responses because they are similar to the many opinions I heard at the office yesterday. "If they love the cats so much they should take them home" was a popular sentiment. I don't think I'll have many takers. I just want to cut down on the feline population without creating civil war at work.

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it.

16. Hockey Rocker

There are a few beautiful labs on the property. They keep the Canada geese away.

17. Hockey Rocker

A couple of guys suggested that we focus on the larger males. Does that make any sense?

18. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

How will that do the trick!?? It's all or nothing! Even if the males are snipped, when the females come into season, you never know how far a male will come to sow his wild oats!!
    You know what, I bet people don't leave the cats at your driveway. I bet a lot of cats just leap out the window of moving cars once they get a whiff!!!:lol:

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I has some friends in NJ back when that where the pinnacle of the term Cat Rescuers. Jay would literally capture virile cats around the industrial areas, get them fixed and just put them back.

I have heard cat's do not like anything citrus smelling, citrus cleaners and just plain old orange peels will help make them avoid areas.

I don't think it would make them leave an area, but maybe to keep them out of a particular area/building. I'd get some rotting [free] produce and see if that will help. But really capturing them and getting them fixed so the procreation ration is a little slower will keep it from being 10 fold worse in a year or two...

20. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Get their license plate number and turn 'em in. Dumping's illegal. Unfortunately it's only a fine. I think anyone who dumps a pet should never be able to own a pet again. Heck, I think they should be spayed or neutered...

Most of those idiots buy a kitten or puppy because they're cute and playful. When they get tired of taking care of 'em, or when the pet grows up and becomes less cute, they dump 'em. There's no end to the hate I have for someone who does that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.