Cats and guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunking, Sep 16, 2020.

1. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Worst case scenario is you'll have some nice new catgut strings!

Fretting out likes this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

They like open guitar cases, but how often do you leave open guitar cases laying around?
    IMG_20200624_145825818.jpg

3. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

My brother did have one pee on his amp grill/speaker. To me that would be worse than scratching. Lol the cat looked at us while it was peeing and did it for spite. They are all different

4. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

I enjoy our cats, but many years ago, my cat (RIP Kitty), managed to knock my very first guitar off of it's stand in my room. I don't remember what it ended up hitting, but it had substantial damage to the side of the lower bout.

Fortunately, I'd paid all of $50 for it, used, and it lived on for many years as my travel guitar before eventually being lost to a "friend" who borrowed it, then sold it for drugs.

I still keep my guitars out, but not on floor stands. And yes, if I leave a guitar case open for any reason, it is almost immediately filled by a cat.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

None of the cats that have been in our household have inflicted any damage on guitar stuff, with one exception - a male cat, when I was new to my then girlfriend's house, left his calling card on the case of one of my guitars. After awhile, nothing. Even the current cat, who routinely claws at the sofa, never touches the grill cloth of the amps even though he has had

...wait for it...

ample opportunity.

Follows me around the house like a dog might. He will jump into an open case if there's one around, but no harm done. Not all of them are case jumpers, though.

Careful, you might get attached. Or attacked. Let the cat come to you.

IMG_1404.jpg

6. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

C416BD48-86CD-492F-A6E6-51DA5329D70E.jpeg
    meow

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

20200205_105452.jpg

Nah....not interested.

8. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I had a cat urinate on a gig bag once. I had multiple cats at the time, I never figured out which one may have done it, not that it matters. Despite applications of baking soda, Febreze and lengthy exposure to sunlight, the smell never quite went away, so I got rid of the gig bag. Not a big deal, really.

9. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

we've had three cats over the past 20 years- never any issue with gear. Occasionally they scratch the rug or a chair but never an amp or guitar. I like cats so it should not be an issue

RomanS likes this.
  10. gpilgrim

gpilgrim TDPRI Member

I'll just second what everyone else is saying. Our cat has never been interested in my gear, and he's a great little critter. If your wife wants one, go for it!

While we're on the subject of cats and wives though, there is another danger to beware of. Let me tell you a story:

Before coming to live with us our cat lived in a parking lot outside my wife's office. She spent months setting out food for him, and slowly gained his trust to the point where he'd let her pet him. Then one day she brought in a cat carrier and captured him. She took him to the local animal shelter so they could check for a chip (none), deal with his fleas, and hold him for the mandatory observation/claim period, in case he had rabies and/or belonged to someone who was looking for him. During this whole process she's telling me what a great cat he is, and how he should be our cat etc. etc. etc. I like cats but I was was skeptical and took some convincing. She finally wore me down though and now we've had the cat for several years. All well and good.

Here's the danger though - after everything my wife did for him, feeding him while he was stray, catching him, convincing me, all this, wouldn't you know it that darn cat likes me best. He tolerates her fine, but he loves me. I'll never admit it to her, and when she brings it up I always say "no, no, he loves you so much", but she's not convinced. It's just one of life's little unfairnesses...

LutherBurger, RomanS and aging_rocker like this.
  11. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I've had cats forever, and never had one damage any gear yet.

They do tend to leap into any case you may leave open, they make a great cat bed. ;)

RomanS and WalthamMoosical like this.
  12. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Get the cat. I cover up my open back boogie so they wont crawl in. They are not interested in scratching it, and only were interested in the bass amp cloth a brief time.

guitars arent interesting. Sitting in my lap when I play them a bit more. :)

RomanS likes this.
  13. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You will be on the bottom of the food chain.

Cat >>> Female human slave (food source) >>> Male human slave (who I tolerate because he supplies a guitar case to sleep in, and a warm lap to rest on cold nights). My claws have a light trigger if there is any disobedience.

14. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I've got two young mischevious cats. They leave my stuff alone for the most part. My kids' Legos on the other hand, they can't keep out of those.

My cat did knock over a guitar that I had leaning against the couch. No damage was done, but it could have been disastrous. My fault- I should have used a stand.

I was always a dog person. Never had a cat. My youngest son loves cats, so we wound up adopting a brother and sister. The rest of the litter had died and they were a bonded pair. Having two makes it easier though, since they entertain and groom each other.

Get two OP.

LutherBurger and Digital Larry like this.
  16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One of my cats (the male) does occasionally pee on things outside of the official zone. I keep him away from the amps and it's OK. The one time he nailed one it had a cover on which I then threw away. He sometimes spends a lot of time under the bed but when I'd play the ukulele he'd come out and jump up and sit next to me, so he must have liked it. Our other kitty (his sister) is about the sweetest little thing I've ever come across. Super affectionate and silly.

Few recommendations,
    a) Thunder Ease pheromone dispensers, apparently reduce stress, no human detectable scent.
    b) Rescue Remedy drops for the water bowl, same effect,
    c) Rocco and Roxie stain and odor spray if something does get peed on - works pretty well, though $$$

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

An older male may spray your amp or guitar.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

DSC_0281.JPG

Oscar always looks guilty, even when he's perfectly innocent.

19. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I've had many cats and to my surprise have never had them go after a grill cloth or a tweed amp or tweed case. The only problem was a kitten chewing on a cable. I just kept the cables away from her until she outgrew that phase which she did pretty quickly. Never a problem with cats and equipment otherwise.

RomanS likes this.
  20. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mine have never shown any interest in using scratching posts and pads. The worst they have done is crawl into the open cases.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.