1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cats and guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunking, Sep 16, 2020.

1. TeleFunking

TeleFunking Tele-Meister

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of giving a cat to my wife as a birthday gift. She has always been passionate about cats and talks to me about having one since we got married.

I don't refuse the idea completely but I always think if this could represent any threat to with my guitars and gear. My guitars are hanged on the wall and my amps are exposed in my living room. Don't know if a cat could damage my guitars' finish or my amps grill cloth or tolex.

How dangeraous are cats to our gear?

I suppose there are some cat owners here that could share their experience and give me some advice...

Thanks!!

String Tree likes this.
  2. Titletone

Titletone Tele-Meister

I've got two cats and they have never messed with any of my gear. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know.

39martind18 and John Backlund like this.
  3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

a cat could possibly damage something, though over 50 years and many cats, I have never had a problem.

A problem would be having a lovely young wife who is passionate about cats, and wants one badly - but her husband denies her. THAT would be a problem, and would fester and get worse every year, forever and ever. Especially if he collects guitars and tells his wife she can't have a cat because of his guitars. That would almost certainly end in an unhappy divorce.

matrix, Lockback, Asmith and 7 others like this.
  4. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I had a cat who used to scratch on my DRRI - but I always had a cover on it. It got frayed on one corner but she never got through to the amp itself.

Otherwise never a problem over 30 years and several cats. I’d wait and see how it goes, but if you‘re worried just keep things covered and cased. You’ll be good to go.

Edit: I should also mention that no cat of mine ever showed interest in any of my guitars. Some do like to lounge in open cases, though.

5. lefty6string

lefty6string TDPRI Member

Cats rule. They are so interesting. You will not regret it . Any damage will be minimal. If your guitars are hung on the wall, kitty cant get to them. I know because I have cats and guitars. Again, cats rule, and so do guitars.

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i've never had a cat to damage any equipment, but i've always wondered if one might want to tune up his claws on a grillcloth. maybe use covers until he figures out how to use a scratch pad.

aging_rocker likes this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had cats forever and gear forever. Never a problem.

Get the cat. They’re good for your blood pressure and they can be highly entertaining :D.

matrix, RomanS and aging_rocker like this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Depends on the cat. Mine have never paid any attention to my stuff, but some cats under stress will scratch furniture and would love grill cloth. My first cat Bob never touched my amps or Bose 501 speakers, but shredded my knobby MTB tires! He was also a fan of wood molding around doors.

First thing with any cat is to get them a scratching post where you can take them immediately if you ever see them scratching. Give it a good dusting of catnip. All cats need to leave territorial clues by scratching and rubbing their faces on stuff. But if there are other cats outside that stress them, they will want to leave allotta calling cards.

But NEVER have a cat de-clawed. It is inhumane because the first joint of each toe is removed and can often create physical and psychological issues. Don't even think about it - it is not a humane option. That being said, there is nothing wrong with trimming a cat's nails, which makes it harder for them to scratch and climb.

matrix, SpaceMonkey, Deeve and 6 others like this.
  9. Prairie Phoenix

Prairie Phoenix TDPRI Member

My ex had a cat that wrecked all the furniture and a fair amount of carpet. She (the cat) never touched the guitars or amps. The ex, on the other hand, put a chair through my '54 Silvertone 1336. Draw your own conclusions on which is more dangerous to your gear.

10. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Worse case ontario, you will have cat reliced gear.

lefty6string likes this.
  11. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I have to keep my amps facing a wall or otherwise protected or the cat will scratch the grill.

RomanS likes this.
  12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I've expected my cat to try that, but she never has. When I'm playing, she likes to chase the light reflections from the guitar's chrome bits around the room but she doesn't seem to be interested in the amp. When I'm not playing, I turn the amp so the grill cloth is against the wall, just in case...

RomanS likes this.
  13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Wow, I'm surprised! Not a single report of a cat digging into grill cloth. It seems exactly the kind of stuff they'd love to rake their claws on. We had cats for decades but I never had an amp in the house (the joys of having a shop). I think Jhundt's advice is the most poignant here.

Boreas likes this.
  14. Boreas

That you can count on! Especially my pink-lined Gibson cases...

Img0001.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  15. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Cats are fun

Attached Files:

16. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Although not a cat fan in general, I love the cat we have. He's awesome.

The only thing he has done with my guitar gear is attempt to climb into the back of an amp (I assume to sleep). Particularly if the tubes are a bit warm. I try not to let him for safety reasons but I've only caught him a couple times.

Boreas likes this.
  17. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've never had my cat damage equipment, but she will claw at amp covers. Oddly though, she's never touched a grill cloth.

IMG_20200916_203323.jpg IMG_20200916_203357.jpg

RomanS and old soul like this.
  18. Boreas

A few power-chords would likely cure him of that! But he may choose to exit through the front!

19. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

Just be sure to give the cat plenty of scratching options - scratch posts and pads, and you shouldn't have an issue. Mine have never shown any interest in scratching an amp or any of my hi-fi speakers.

And above all if it is a male have it fixed as soon as appropriate before it starts spraying. :eek:

RomanS, Deeve, Asmith and 1 other person like this.
  20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

You will never have a fender amp like that if you don't have a cat

upload_2020-9-16_21-48-17.jpeg

xtelesquirex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.