Catfishing trips...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 26, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I think I'll chronical a few of my catfishing trips cause it looks like they may be interesting.

Tonight I went to the Missouri River at dusk. The spot I'm going to is 13 miles from my house (yikes!). It's at the edge of a bunch of cornfields but the river edge has a lot of trees. You can tell that the area was flooded until recently. I have to park on the edge of the cornfield because the dirt road leading in to the spot is washed out. I have to walk about a block to the river
    I was going to use my saltwater tackle for catfishing but that gear is more for long distance casting. The current is too strong to really cast very far out and there's too many snags. The river is still way higher than normal so I can't see some of the brush that may normally be at the river edge. I lost one expensive weight so I'm going to fish near the shore for mow.
    The freakin' skeeters were thick and even though I used Off they still were trying to bite me. It was also lightning bug city down there tonight but they don't bite you.
    I didn't get any bite after about an hour then a lone coyote starts howling back by my car. Then another joins in from the woods to the south about 2 blocks away. Then another and another and coyotes across the river started joining in. I started doing a pretty bad imitation and they stopped. That was pretty spooky considering how many coyotes were near me. There was lightning flashing a few miles away so I thought it was a good time to vamoose.
    I'll try again tomorrow night with a different pole.

Stubee, fendertx, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Sound like fun to me. Time flies when you are fishing - its like playing guitar in that sense.

No coyotes where I fish but plenty of highly venomous snakes, wombats and the odd platypus.

Hope you do better tomorrow night.

Cheers

uriah1 and Nickadermis like this.
  3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Good luck tomorrow night ! I always have better luck when the river is rising than when it is falling.

There are some decent ones in there some bigger than others.

Attached Files:

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got to get out catfishing again. Been awhile.
    The most lazy comfortable way to go fishing .
    For me, a stick with a wishbone in it to hold the rod.
    I think they have flatheads in secret place. Never caught one.
    Shrimp bait, and nowadays a circle hook and non-lead weight.
    Stink baits are a bunch of hooey.

Harry Styron likes this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Never caught one with the stinkbait but I'm at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to catfishing. There's an article in this year's Catfish magazine special that makes me curious about cheese baits fior channel cats. I might have to try them.

6. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I'm sure that there are some water mocassins and rattle snakes around the area I'm fishing. Right now it's very swampy and weedy back there where the river overflowed.

Tonight I'm going down to Omaha, Ne. and watch the final game of the College World Series.

Bellacaster likes this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

when I used to fish a lot, I caught more catfish on minnows than on any other bait.

guitarmoron likes this.
  8. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I should try some type of live bait like minnows but you have to use them pretty quickly or they'll die. Kind of a PITB.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, that can be a problem fishing for crappie, but catfish like 'em either way. what you really want is the biggest minnow you can find. the bigger and fatter the more the catfish want them.

when I fished a lot, in the warm times of the year, I had a couple of spots to siegn minnows and could usually catch some big ones. there is truth to the saying, "bigger bait, bigger fish", in my experience.

but I haven't gone fishing in years and years.

10. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I have a cast net. Maybe I'll start trying to get minnows with that. I used it once on the Chesapeake Bay and got a lot of minnows.

11. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I buy chicken livers then let them sit in the heat outside for a day till the container starts to swell the go green pretty fast and they stink but the catfish love them, if they get so ripe that they fall apart just fill a nylon sock with them and run your hook through that, I have caught some bigguns like that, I also bait trout lines like that and just come back and check them twice a day to see what I've caught.

12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

In my experience, flatheads prefer live bait, like goldfish or small sunfish.

natec and guitarmoron like this.
  13. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Got some of the cheese baits and the special bait hooks you use with them. I'll try them out tomorrow night.

14. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I tried to use a “trout” line, but all I caught was a rainbow catfish!o_O

uriah1 likes this.
  15. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Think I'm gonna hold off on future night fishing trips until the weather cools down. I used the cheese bait and it seemed to draw these huge bugs that didn't seem to mind the Off I sprayed on myself. I am going to set some throwlines so I can still have a possibility of catching a cat overnight.

16. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Cut shad is about your best bet on the Missouri, or maybe skipjack if you can find it. Plenty of shad in the river to catch!

17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I'd like to try to catch some cats but the guy I fish with don't like them.
    Nice thread BTW.

After having experienced big pikes in Ireland I'd like to taste some black basses in the USA. One day, maybe...

18. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I have one of these in my tackle box. It must be 30 years old. I see they still sell that same exact model. Great memories of Bartlet Lake and Lake Pleasant.

[​IMG]

19. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I don't like the taste of black bass (largemouth or smallmouth). They're fun to catch though cause they bite lures.

20. natec

natec TDPRI Member

Specifically for flatheads this has been my experience as well. They'll even hit a crankbait or a rubber crawdad if you present it just right. I find them to be more predator-like vs scavenger-like.

My fav to eat are channel cats.

Harry Styron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.