Catch Hell Blues ... theory?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Obsessed, Jan 12, 2020.

1. rough eye

rough eye TDPRI Member

rhythmically he's doing that Bo Diddly thing after the first part which is chords arpeggiated in 8th notes. by Bo Diddly i mean the rhythm pattern: 1231231231231212 where you count that and hit the 1 of each group. he's moving up the minor scale in this sequence: 1 2 3 4 6 5 7 8 6 5 etc., which in notes would be A B C D F E G a F and so on. to keep time (if you're in open A tuning) you could play like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------0-----------------2--------------3-----------------5-----------------------
    ------0----------------2---------------3----------------5----------------8---------7
    --0-------------2-----------------3---------------5-----------------8---------7------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can see that Bo Diddly rhythm pattern at work in there. just emphasize the 5th string notes and play as a steady stream of 16ths. I'm too lazy to do other parts (and too lazy to listen).

Obsessed likes this.
  2. rough eye

rough eye TDPRI Member

and now i've listened to the whole video i have to say his intonation really sucks.

bgmacaw likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, Lightning Hopkins is a great example of when to play before the beat or after the beat. Gotta love it when you know which way changes the emothion. Thanks.

4. Obsessed

Yup, I can get that part. Not sure of a Bo Ddidly beat, but I think I understand what you are trying to convey. My main problem is following how he connects these sections to other sections of the song. This goes back to the triplets too. Thanks.

5. Obsessed

Kinda gives that real old bluesy flavor doesn't it?:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.