Catch Hell Blues ... theory?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Obsessed, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I love this White Stripes song enough that I want to learn it as a cover. I'm exclusively a blues player and currently enjoying exploring open A tuning. It intrigues me that I enjoy this song so much and can't explain why, so I want to unravel the magic behind it.

However, I don't understand, nor can I find a good pattern from Jack's playing. Also not sure how the timing works. Yeah, I know Meg is not a great time keeper.:rolleyes::lol: I suppose I could just learn it from YouTube and then figure that stuff out, but hoping someone could shed some light before I go woodshed this song.

Thanks in advance for any and all epiphanies.

Flaneur and Jim622 like this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My initial advice would be to lose your desire to play in tune.

3. Obsessed

Ha ha smarty pants. I play a guitar, so most of the notes are out of tune by definition.;)

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I don’t play much like Mr. White—at all—but he taught me how to be more fearless as a player, composer and performer...

I dig him in all his iterations.

gregulator450, Mad Kiwi and Obsessed like this.
  5. Obsessed

Yup, he inspires me greatly in those ways as well. I know that he goes into a studio and just goes for it with all of the idiosyncratic miscues, which to me is more authentic. Not sure if this is what, "Catch Hell Blues" is all about, but it easily could be. He has played it often in public and always slightly different.

Mad Kiwi and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not trying to derail, but it reminded me of this seminal song from my youth

suthol, Obsessed and stratoman1 like this.
  7. Obsessed

Wow. Excellent comparison of a multitude of similar styles. There actually might be something I can gleam off of that to help me find the magic. Super thanks for posting.

richiek65 likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

That's MISTER Smartypants, to you, sonny! :p

Obsessed likes this.
  9. charlie chitlin

I really like this idea of copping an ATTITUDE from someone and applying it to what you do.
    I never cover Jimi, but admire him immensely.
    I recently discovered a guy named Jordan Cook, who uses the name Reignwolf for his band and solo stuff.
    I sort of wonder if Robert Johnson wouldn't sound like this if he were born in 1990.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yep. It's always different.

I think a lot of it is learning controlled chaos and going with what you're feeling at the moment. Overall, it's pretty basic open G/A slide blues riffs and patterns, call and response, with a few extra notes slipping in, sometimes accidentally on purpose. Keep it from going wildly out of control by using left hand muting, especially if you're playing it with a pick (even more important if you're using a fuzz).

Obsessed and Fiesta Red like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

it's in 4/4

just think in groups of four and you'll be fine

: )

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Well, it does seem like controlled chaos, and I want to learn how to control it. Yup, I hear the riffs, C&A, short patterns and the accent notes, but how is it arranged? I just got my first fuzz pedal, but I'm getting acquainted with that on a much simpler cover for now. I am a palm muting connoisseur and pretty good on slide, so technically this should be an easy song to learn, especially if I see the layout of the patterns. Nevertheless, you have just reminded me to employ all of those techniques in this song. Thanks.

13. Obsessed

Well, if that is all I need to think about that would be great. I've plowed through much more difficult covers, so perhaps I really am overthinking this. Thanks. I'll see if I can count that out first. It might even reveal the elusive pattern. Thank you.

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Is my brain playing tricks ? i hear triplets !

Obsessed likes this.
  15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Play the chords and put them on a loop- or put on the record, if you prefer. Once you have a strong feel for the groove, you can riff away, around that structure, just as Jack does. Or rather, just as You do, with reference to the original. :cool:

Great song- and lots of fun, to make your own. Open A is great for playing single note runs, as well as slide parts, which is what I'd do. Jack prefers every note to shimmer, rather like a lot of Derek Trucks' work- but he likes the heavy pick attack, which makes his sound so recognisable. Fingerpicks would be tempting.

Obsessed likes this.
  16. Obsessed

I hear triplets too. This is where just diving in and woodshedding will reveal this, but I was hoping for some gleaming insight. At least now I know someone else hears that and I will go in more aware of it. Thank you for bringing it up.

johnny k likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Great idea. It is the groove that I am after. With open A, the chords should be easy to identify. I can't remember the last time I did woodshedding that way. That would also reveal the triplets too. Thanks so much for the advice.

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

To explain how I would try to get there is probably best explained by Mick Jagger being interviewed after he recorded a vocal in a studio by himself. He was waving his arms and recriminating at the microphone

Interviewer asked him if he needed to do that and did it show on the record. Jagger said emoting helped you get to the right place

Here I would hunch my shoulders and lean over a lot, like I was shuffling through a dark foggy night

This also reminds me of how I mimic a voice: I contort my face a bit like a parody of the person. Mouth shape/neck tension help you get in the groove

Obsessed likes this.
  19. Obsessed

I can almost imagine this working to find the groove. I am game to experiment with this concept. Thanks.

20. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Some folks just have their own sense of timing...

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.